Shi gan (Time) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shi gan (Time) Reviews

½ December 24, 2016
This wonderful drama is one of Kim's saddest and most powerful films about the way time affects our lives and relationships, and how it is hard for love to resist obsessions, insecurities and our inability to cope with our own pettiness before the unrelenting action of time.
December 19, 2015
Another in a long list of very good Korean films. This is a clever story in the disguise of a love story but is probably a social satire on the rise of plastic surgery. In a world where original films are so rare, films like this deserve to be praised.
½ May 30, 2014
Too melodramatic and crazy for me. The woman is just plain crazy (so is the guy if he's attracted to that, and doesn't want to leave after any of her moments of crazy). The movie feels like an indictment of South Korean culture and how they apparently over embrace plastic surgery. The movie was interesting, though.
April 3, 2014
This one is heady in all the right ways. I've had the honor of catching a bunch of Kim Ki-duk's work, and "Time" stands close to his bigger 'hit' films. "Time" is culturally relevant (to S. Korea), as seems to be the case with many of Ki-duk's movies, and is filled with twists and deep characters that one would come to expect from a Ki-duk film. His films are always thought provoking (if a bit confusing sometimes), and "Time" is no exception. The whole movie is great, and its crescendo is one worth studying.

"Time" is Arpke Approved at 4 out of 5 stars.
November 8, 2013
Sometimes boring, but fantastic ending that's worth it. "An unnerving riff on South Korean women fixated on the idea of ul-jjang ('best face')." "In addition to statements about urban anonymity and the cult of beauty, writer-director Kim is also making a mordant statement about love, the kind you can get lost in while losing yourself."
½ August 21, 2013
Dull. Had great potential as an expose on the superficiality of cosmetic surgery, and modern life in general, but falls well short of being profound, or even interesting. Basically just drifts, and drifts, and drifts, and ultimately goes nowhere.
June 27, 2013
About Histrionic Personality Disorder
½ June 5, 2013
"Time" es la clase de película que tiene un claro mensaje pero que no sabe como plasmarlo a su audiencia. Es una cinta sobre una mujer trastornada que decide realizarse una cirugía facial para reencontrarse con su novio (el hombre realmente no sabe como confrontar su psicosis y en verdad debería buscar a alguien mas). La noción de que estos personajes (que obvio tienen mucho dinero y tiempo libre) entrarían en un juego psicológico es repulsivo y ninguna emoción es genuina porque estamos lidiando con gente enferma.
"Time" fue dirigida por Kim Ki-Duk y es una gran decepcion.
½ February 23, 2013
I think this movie is about a struggle to find ones identity. She gets all these plastic surgeries thinking she will be different but it doesn't change who she is on the inside. She realizes that her boyfriend loved her old self all along and if he had a problem with her it was her jealous personality. She couldn't change that through surgery we find this out later in the film when ji woo gets a letter that his old girlfriend is coming back and she flies off the handle. In the end she doesn't even know who she is or maybe she never knew.
½ February 10, 2013
?????? ????. ???????? ???? ??????????? ??? 2-3 ??????????? ??? ??????? ??? ????????.
½ February 8, 2013
omg... twisted sick b****, turn the guy into some sort of psycho. too weird for my taste but okay movie.
½ February 6, 2013
ir's not that convincing. the scene at the doctor's office, where they try on the mask, that was a nice touch
½ December 5, 2012
I know Shi gan deals with insecurity & lack of identity &... but I think the main point is accepting the passage of time & the fact that nothing lasts forever, The best I've seen by Kim Ki-duk along with 3-Iron
November 17, 2012
Really thought-provoking. How far should one go for love? Kim Ki-Duk directs this awesome quirky, stylish love-thriller. Please find a way to watch it.
November 10, 2012
Captivating in presentation and allegorical in scope. This is the type of movie that will make you think.
September 22, 2012
Again another peculiar plot from Ki-duk Kim..
Though, South Korean people really do like getting plastic surgery..
hopefully this movie could make them appreciate natural beauty and also gratitude towards what God has given them~
½ August 28, 2012
A pathological case study disguised as a romantic melodrama.
½ August 4, 2012
A perplexing mix of a romantic melodrama and pseudo science-fiction. Seh-hee is has extreme low self esteem when she sees her boyfriend of two years, Ji-Woo, looking at other women. She gets plastic surgery and disappears for months, cock-blocking her boyfriend so she can win him again.

That is only the first half of this delightfully strange narrative. The film explores such deep human nature in such a twisted love triangle between a man and two women, the two women being the same person. It does wear out its welcome as the film drags on, but Kim Ki-duk ends it with such a twist that it makes for a complete package. Not for the casual viewer, only for those looking for a bit of thinking after a watch.
July 16, 2012
One of my favourite movies by Ki-duk Kim along with 3-iron. To me it emphasizes the whole idea behind doing anything for the person you love even though it risks losing them. Insecurities, jealousy, cosmetic surgery, etc.. what more can you ask of Kim Ki Duk?