Shibuya kaidan (The Locker) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shibuya kaidan (The Locker) Reviews

April 14, 2011
Double Review for Original & sequel

(aka Shibuya kaidan ) Subtitles & 'More Hair'; 2 short movies (only a tinge over an hour) on 1 disk. The 1st one was 'ok' but not crazy about it. I want to know what's with J-Horror vengeful spirits & There always being HAIR (like the spirit's hair is always soooooo long Its like What was the movie ( I think Sara Michelle Gellar starred in the remake) Ju-on I think. In the first movie a group a collage students are camping & telling scary stories When they get home , They all start to see & experience odd happenings. The locker is an urban legend that you either leave a gift in for someone you like & you give it to them & all will go right However there is also a Curse with the locker. A baby was left inside & now haunts all who use the locker. The sequel leaves off as the original ended. Ayano (the young girl being tudored by one of the last movies victims) is in the hospital with Reika. Ayano comes across the key to the Locker and The Cycle starts again. The cops are still trying to solve the 'Unnatural deaths' of the previous movie, a Doctor is trying to find out answers and poor Ayano in the middle of it all. D
January 9, 2011
Not scary, boring movie!
½ November 2, 2010
Good ideas mixed with horrible shots and interesting shots. But overall, the story was kind of lacking and the editing was TERRIBLE. A good example of how important every aspect of filmmaking can be. This film had potential. It's too bad.
December 20, 2009
I only watched this because my favourite actress Maki Horikita was in it. Creepy low budget J-horror about a group of teenage friends (3 males & 3 females) haunted at first by a baby's cry after a camping trip but then it escalates when one by one they all start to die horribly which involves a pair of ghostly hands. The phenomena all stems from a cursed locker in Shibuya that one of the girls used. It wasn't too bad a movie but could have been a whole lot better. The climax is just too much like Ringu for my liking. Surely they could have thought of something more original. If you're a fan of J-horror movies this may interest you. Average at best.
September 30, 2009
Director Kei Horie (Suicide) locks up with actress Asami Mizukawa - who played sixteen year old Ikuko Hamada during the last moments of Hideo Nakata's "Dark Water" - in an urban legend tale about a dead girls soul haunting a locker.

Synopsis: A circle of friends spend time together while keeping their stuff in a locker that builds up into a legendary spook taking them out of their lives one by one.

There's not much to tell about this one except that it has some pretty good scares and some good acting from Asami Mizukawa who played the role of Rieka Yajima. It more or less reminded me of "Dark Water" just nowhere near as good.

Kei Horie is probably better in the acting department, but if he does find the drive to direct again, I hope he'll improve himself like Kenta Fukasaku's awful "Yo Yo Girl" to his phenomenal "X-cross" - it could happen.
August 25, 2009
A group of college students are haunted by the whiny ghost of an aborted fetus which morphs into a hirsute adolescent with advanced scoleosis that just needs a hug. This is the actual plot.
½ December 3, 2008
Bag of bollocks in my opinion, the movies is just filled with Japanese teenagers gabbing about sex and silly myths..tiny(and I mean tiny amounts) of scariness until you get to the last 15 mins of the movie..and then that only lasts for about 3 minutes!

I recommend that you dont watch this if your used to asian horrors..it wont scare you, I'd only recommend it if you had watched grass grow and paint dry and have gotten bored of that.
September 13, 2008
Meh. This isn't terrible, and it's not as low budget as I expected - this is still a competently produced theatrical feature, it ain't Ju-on. But there's not much to recommend here either. There are the usual superficial Ringu similarities, but as a whole the movie is completely lacking in darkness or suspense of any kind. In that sense it has more in common with something like Final Destination or another generic American teen horror flick.

So why did I give it 3 stars? Because my standards are declining, apparently. It didn't do anything that really pissed me off, like Phone or Forbidden Siren - it's watered down but at least plays it straight. It's also short and to the point. You could do a lot worse. But The Locker doesn't even come close to nailing the sense of oppression that really makes this genre great. Some really hot Japanese girls though.

I'll still probably end up watching the sequel...because I have nothing better to do.
August 18, 2008
August 17, 2008
Shibuya kaidan) Tokyo urban legend comes to life in unexpected, terrifying ways when a group of young people use a coin locker at the Shibuya station. As members of the group begin dying in bizarre and excruciating ways, the survivors frantically try to understand the curse they find themselves in.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I still enjoyed watching this movie simply because of the good effects and the message of the story though it was hard keeping up with subtitles....

I can describe this film as the lighter or the soft version of some Jap movies such as Grudge and Ring as most of scares are similar.. like the long black hair coming out in such places.....good thing about this is the background music that goes well in the story.... some scenes are original too..
May 12, 2008
A couple of scary parts, but by far the worst Asian horror movie I've seen. Sequel? No thanks.
alanjayh
½ April 10, 2008
low budget but acting and the babes are cute..story you seen before, but overall not a bad little movie..btw..part II is on same disc
½ March 17, 2008
Somewhat boring of a movie, lacking in anything scary at all. The coolest part was the little girl. Not as good as I thought it was going to be based on previews.
February 20, 2008
i always find it odd that people feel the need to compare a movie to other movies that are of similar traits. Yes it's like Ju-on. Yes, it's like Ringu. Yes, it's like Dark Water. And Yes, it's like One Missed Call. But guess what? No one said it wasn't.
November 18, 2007
One star for Maki Horikita. Otherwise, this movie was pretty boring and the plot was SUPER thin. URG.
September 18, 2007
I'm not going to rate this as I didn't finish watching it. I seriously got bored halfway through. The camera work is horrid and the lighting is a letdown aesthetically. From the synopsis the story sounded like it had potential, but this movie doesn't grip the viewer like other Asian horrors do.
½ September 16, 2007
I must admit that evil aborted fetus' killing people makes for more laughter than horror.
½ August 14, 2007
MAN DID YOU GUYS ALL SEE SADAKO? :D
August 6, 2007
Horror? Nah, one of the best 'comedy' films I've seen in a long time....I was chuckling most of the time.
July 27, 2007
Putting a gift in a haunted locker with a prayer ensures the one you love will love you back or something like that. Wish wrong and the ghost will kill you.