Shifty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shifty Reviews

½ April 3, 2016
That's suburban Britain for ya.
March 18, 2016
Good watch. Not v exciting though
August 10, 2014
This film looked good on the cover, but it really let me down. Too much chat and not much drama. Sorry but it has to be a 2 star.
July 31, 2014
Typical cockney wanna b chav rubbish
February 18, 2014
Drug Dealers in London. It was alright.
½ November 19, 2013
Gritty British drug dealer movie. Feels very authentic. Great performances.
September 26, 2013
Down to the grunge drug dealing world of London and the relationships that are common in status. Script is crude and rude containing an overbearing amount of swearwords. Music adds flavor to the scenes mostly lighthearted in rhythm. Depressing subject that shows the lack of humanity that is involved in the drug world. Nibbles: Vegetable Stuffed Turkey Roll.
½ May 20, 2013
Difficult to get a hold of on this side of the Atlantic, 'Shifty' sets what might otherwise be a typical rough-life-on-the-streets plotline against the suburban estates of post-industrial Britain.
April 26, 2013
a strong intruging crime drama
½ April 2, 2013
Another perfect example of how a film - regardless of it's budget can still be hugely effective if the story is told well. It's a pretty simple tale about a guy called Chris returning home to the town that he left behind, still tormented by the guilt that drove him away. His best friend Shifty has chosen a potentially destructive life path, and over the course of the day they attempt to re connect and face up to their problems, both past and present. Both Daniel Mays and Riz Ahmed are astonishingly good in this film. The subtlety of their relationship is believable and they really make you care about them. Jason Flemyng is suitably gruff as the local hood, and it's here that Chris has the chance to prove his loyalty to Shifty, where he once failed. Clearly shot on the cheap, this is one of the best British films I have seen in the past few years. Will be keeping an eye on all involved.
March 25, 2013
Understated urban drama, like Zebra Crossings it's subtlety gives Noel Clarke and Ben Drew a run for they're money. The slow pace and character development couldnt be opposite to Welcome To The Punch, the directors second film after this, and the dynamic between Daniel Mays and Riz Ahmed is really strong.
½ March 14, 2013
Awesome. A spaghetti drug dealing western in modern day UK.

Pretty amoral though with respect to Trevor's wife but I guess it was meant to be. That's probably why he left the life....

So more an anti hero spaghetti western.
December 30, 2012
Great performances and pacing turn a somewhat familiar tale into something extremely engaging.
November 17, 2012
Well acted slow burning study of redemption.
½ November 2, 2012
Although this story has been told a million times, Shifty delivers great performances by Riz Ahmed and Daniel Mays. I really enjoyed the film's message of how drugs affects everyone from the buyer to the seller, to their respective families/friends.
October 3, 2012
A well written, day in the life of, which is different to other drug films. It involves you from the start and there's a lot of guessing going on right until the end. Highly recommended to fans of British film.
½ September 4, 2012
not the worst low budget iv seen but not very entertaining.
½ August 29, 2012
I couldn't decide between 3.5 and 4 stars. Don't get me wrong, this movie is by no means amazing but it's definitely one of the better movies in its genre.

I'm no film critic but I think Riz Ahmed really brings the role to life, portraying a very calm and calculated protagonist, losing his steely demeanour only under extreme stress and even then only for brief moments. His acting is spot on with micro expressions that offer more insight into the character than he has to say. He absolutely made the movie for me. I don't think it would have been half as good without him involved.

That said, there are supporting cast members that did my nut. Even if you're exporting the movie, you don't have to exaggerate Britishisms quite so much for them to be understood.

All things considered, this is a decent movie. 3.5 stars for the project, 4.5 for Riz Ahmed.
August 28, 2012
Not the most endearing of films given the subject matter and characters involved, but the script and language are very good.
July 17, 2012
Really enjoyed this - well directed/acted with a great twist at the end......