Shin seiki Evangelion Gekijô-ban: Shito shinsei (Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth) (1995)

TOMATOMETER

——

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Shin seiki Evangelion Gekijô-ban: Shito shinsei (Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth) Photos

Movie Info

Hideaki Anno directs this hallucinogenic animated feature, created mostly through a compilation of clips from the wildly popular series Neon Genesis Evangelion. Spliced together with minor amounts of new footage, the film is meant to be viewed after the ending of the TV series, but before watching Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion, to offer a new perspective on the surreal conflux of symbols, metaphors, and subtext. Death & Rebirth recounts the TV series' story of monstrous, destructive angels and spiritually imbued robots, beginning in the year 2000, when an angel named Adam is discovered in the depths of the South Pole. After uncovering him causes a metaphysical breach resulting in an impact that melts the ice shelf -- flooding the world and darkening the skies with ash -- half the world's population is dead, and humanity is now locked in a pitched battle for its existence against these so-called messengers of God. Only 14-year-old children can synch themselves mentally and physically with the giant robots called Evas that humanity utilizes to fight the angels, and just what power lies within the Evas is unclear. In 2015, teenaged Shinji is instructed by his scientist father to pilot an Evangelion, alongside Asuka, a beautiful, but haughty red-headed German lass, and Rei, a quiet girl whose past appears to be connected to Shinji's in strange and unnatural ways. Each of these children has his or her own questions about identity and love, but as the story swells to its climax, the larger questions become ones about who or what God is, and what humanity is afraid of. ~ Jonathan Crow, Rovi
Rating:
NR
Genre:
Action & Adventure , Animation , Anime & Manga , Art House & International , Mystery & Suspense , Science Fiction & Fantasy
Directed By:
Written By:
In Theaters:
 wide
On DVD:
Runtime:

Cast

Critic Reviews for Shin seiki Evangelion Gekijô-ban: Shito shinsei (Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth)

All Critics (1)

Recommended for die-hard fans of the show, but newbies should rather check out the whole TV show DVD box set beforehand.

Full Review… | November 12, 2007
Sci-Fi Movie Page

Quote not available.

October 15, 2002
Anime Jump!

Audience Reviews for Shin seiki Evangelion Gekijô-ban: Shito shinsei (Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth)

Finally tackled the ending films of the Evangelion stuff so that I could get them back to a friend who'd loaned them to me. Since this sorta shorthands the series I kinda wish I'd watched in closer proximity to my viewing of the original series, but it's still very watchable. Recommended.

Bill Bryant
Bill Bryant

Mostly a recap of the TV series, but the new scenes are what make this worth watching. They're simply fantastic, and they answered some questions I had with the TV series. If you're planning on watching this and you haven't seen the TV series, I would recommend doing so. It would make it a lot less confusing and more enjoyable.

Ben Davis
Ben Davis
½

Um, yeah. So maybe if it's going to be over 2 years since you watch an Anime series, you shouldn't start back up with *this* series. I forgot how confusing, disjointed, and donwright weird some of this stuff is. I'm getting too old for this. I think my brain is numb from all those transformers movies. It was hard to wrap my head around a *serious* giant robot movie....

Leonard Ebert
Leonard Ebert

Shin seiki Evangelion Gekijô-ban: Shito shinsei (Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth) Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Shin seiki Evangelion Gekijô-ban: Shito shinsei (Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth) on our Movie forum!

News & Features