Shinbone Alley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shinbone Alley Reviews

½ May 27, 2013
So the story is about a man who commits suicide, becomes a cockroach poet and then falls in love with a cat.....Who was this made for?! It's too mature for kids and too stupid and nonsensical for adults.
November 3, 2010
People who diss this film basically have no class
The film is in a way for kids because there's was no sex scenes to be known
The film is a tad dark due to the orgins of Archy which was shown in the film of he was human who commited suicide in the river and for some reason he was reincarnated as a cockroach.

The material is bit adult but the adult material is often light and not as obvious like Fritz The Cat was.
The main characters have likeable personalities and the music is great

This animated film is most overlooked and underrated film ever made, give it a look.
½ September 6, 2010
What was this? Imagine if the guys who did the short introductions for the Pink Panther cartoons were dropping acid, had a tight deadline with 83 minutes to fill and wanted to make a musical. There you have the moderately psychedelic and aggravating experience that makes up "Shinbone Alley". It's a film that I'd swear I saw as a child and blacked out of my memory because it was so traumatizing. People who commit suicide and are reincarnated as cockroaches, a blue dog with the voice of Fred Flintstone who wants to get it on with Carol Channing the cat, -it's a drug inducing seizure, that is an unsettling experience definitely not for children and probably not even for adults.
½ April 23, 2010
now i read the other reveiw for this movie posted and in someways i agree but i think this movie has its place in the world of people like myself those who are old enough to uderstand these type of things yet are still young enough or young enough at heart to love the animation presented now im no professional but i thik they should maybe look the movie over again and see it for what it is an underated antique but yes i do think there were some scenes that could have been taken out like part where archy declares war that was completely pointless scene and does hurt the movie but i think this is one movie that like mahitabel herself should be left out of high society and not be bothered by serious reviews yes the movies bad from the reveiwers eye but its worth watching at least once to develop an opinion of those who can seperate themeselfs from the reveiwer and enjoy a movie without over analyzeing it 70 for a 70's movie for being boged down by the unessicerry scenes but having characters and music that catch you in and make this movie if anything negative a guilty pleasure
½ September 20, 2009
This is SO not for kids. It is weird & the musical score is horrendous! The story focuses on a reincarnated cockroach, Archy, who is in love with a cat who is in non stop heat & trying to get with every tomcat she can. The storyline weaves in & out of just being peculiar. No point in the end & there is no happy fact....there was no conclusion - just the credits and they couldnt come quick enough.
March 7, 2009
This is a film that was based on a musical that went on Broadway and also based on the short stories by a fellow named Don Marquis about a newspaperman who jumped in the river to drown himself. He reappears as a cockroach, who finds he can still type by jumping up and down on the keys of a typewriter. He fell in love with Mehitabel, the cat (an unlikely romance huh?). He writes poetry to her, and tries to keep her on the straight and narrow (kind of like Jiminey Cricket don't you think?). Big Bill the Alley's tom-cat (voiced by The Flintstones' Alan Reed) is Mehitabel's heart-throb, and also Archy's nemesis. Archy declares war in a George Herriman sequence; That is until he heard had Mehitabel had kittens of course and "needs him." Oh! you folks will to see it (the film) for yourself how it ends.

So what can I say about this film well...It is truly a colorful animated Broadway musical with toe-tapping music and a top-notch cast; Carol was great as the seductive feline Mehitabel, I remember her vocals from "Happily Ever After" and "Thumbelina." I love it when she goes "Toujours Gai,Toujours Gai." I also love it when Mehitabel did Romeo & Juliet in such a jazzy zest, I could help but go along with Tattersall's aghast expressions (just for the fun). So overall I think this film is a colorful,comedical,musical work of art.
April 10, 2008
I'll eat an Irish grape farmer's Scottish terrier before I watch this eggnog-o-rama.
October 19, 2007
Awesome animated music with lots of trippy visuals and depressing anti-kid content. Essentially the story of the town whore, and an anarchist, hopeless romantic cockroach.
May 7, 2007
Its BROADWAY!!!!!!!!!
½ May 7, 2007
Only got about ten minutes into it. Way, way, way too weird, and that's coming from a Ralph Bakshi fan.
April 3, 2007
An animated feature based on a Broadway musical about a cockroach poet and an alley cat