Shining Through - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shining Through Reviews

½ August 29, 2016
A Great spy/suspense/fantasy.
I love this movie.
It was wrongly maligned by critics - that surprised me.
I enjoyed this long before it was unnecessarily savaged by cynical critics. I was shocked at the ill treatment and watched it again - holds up perfectly.
Great story - an office worker who is elevated to collecting spy info, but it doesn't go as planned. Strong performances, brooding suspense, palpable spy tension, a little humor, solid cinematography by Jan Debont, well paced throughout, effective betrayal/twist, and inspired final act.
I stand behind this movie and Melanie Griffith completely. Frankly, I'll never understand the cynicism against Griffith and this movie.
Griffith is exceptional here.
A smart, multi-dimensional character, and perfectly pitched at each turn.
I had bought this video for friends and family who genuinely enjoyed it as well.
This is a well-done sleeper hit for me. If you were drawn into the escape sequence in Sound Of Music, you will enjoy this movie.
Worth giving a look - even a second look.
4.5 of 5 *PG 13*, shud not be rated R
October 27, 2015
Wonderful wartime behind the scenes look at the lives of the people gathering intelligence critical to winning and losing. Acting is superb. Ending brings a tear. Well worth the watch. Critics have little interest if not animated.
October 13, 2015
Brilliant thriller with a fantastic cast!
½ July 29, 2015
Shining Through is an underrated picture, blending elements of a spy thriller with those of a romance
½ July 13, 2015
I like the movie. It harkened back to the old 40s movies with their charmingly implausible plots that you could sit back for a little while and just enjoy the story.
June 6, 2015
?? ??????? ??????? ??? ? ???? ???? ???????? ?????? ???????? ??????? ???????
½ March 24, 2015
Pretty good WW2 spy movie... Kept my attention!
½ March 22, 2015
I enjoyed this romantic drama. Michael Douglas and Melanie Griffith make an engaging couple. Different timesā?¦ the war seems almost civilized as a backdrop to their love and duty to country.
March 4, 2015
Shining Through is an incredible film. It is about an American woman of Irish, Jewish-German parentage who goes undercover in Nazi Germany. Melanie Griffith and Michael Douglas give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. David Seltzer did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Shining Through is a must see.
February 11, 2015
I had no idea Melanie Griffith was this bad of an actress - she single-handedly destroys the possibility of intrigue or thrill out of this sad excuse for a WWII film.
September 30, 2014
The only thing it's more implausible as than a love story is an espionage thriller.
July 19, 2014
J'ai bcp aime ce film...a 14 ans.
½ June 19, 2014
I am honestly lost, where do I even start? This movie is utterly mystifying. The badness is almost indescribable. I almost feel bad saying that because they seems to be a whole lot of effort put into Shining Through. However, the film suffers from a huge amount of stupidity and it's almost as if these people don't know what happened during the second World War. Let's look at "Shining Through".

Linda Voss (Melanie Griffith) is a huge war buff wanting to do something for the war effort. Soon she meets Ed (Michael Douglas) who is an undercover OSS officer. Through the magic of movie romances, they fall in love with no believability whatsoever. Seriously, these two have no connection at all. Anyway, she wants to be a spy for the OSS or something. Oh by the way, her experience includes a talent for making strudel and watching a bunch of War Movies. Yeah, you can pretty much tell the biggest problem this movie can't you? But we'll get to that later.

The acting in this movie isn't all bad. I think the only one who really fails here is Melanie Griffith. I am still not sure what her actingstyle is All she really does is that baby voice which gets annoying very quickly. It also doesn't help that Michael Douglas is pretty much a stoic puppet throughout the entire movie. Liam Neeson also has a small role but it's totally wasted talent. He really doesn't do anything in this movie worth mentioning besides take Griffith to an Opera.

There are actually two huge problems with Shining Through. Firstly, it's one of the most boring movies I ever seen. The reason being is nobody in this movie is interesting. Linda is a vapid idiot and Ed is pretty much a robot. The movie has it's own agenda and it clearly doesn't care about the tragic things in the background.

Which leads to the biggest problem with this movie. It doesn't want to talk about why we are fighting with the Germans. Yeah they mention Linda is Jewish and has Jewish relatives in hiding in Berlin. However the movie never delves dep into that. I can care less about Linda and Ed's relationship. Maybe if the film did have more depth on the Holocaust and Linda's pain of having relatives in that tragic time maybe it could've been an insightful movie. However, more than half the film is focused on either the stupid love story or the stupid main character. Oh yes, Linda is a major idiot. Also, apparently the OSS is full of idiots as well. They allow a Jewish woman to go to Berlin for Spy work because she knows how to cook German food. Oh and she watched a ton of War Movies. So I can solve a murder because I've watched a lot of episodes of Law and Order SVU?

I honestly have nothing else to say about this film. It's poorly acted, awfully written, it's boring and instead of focusing on the real life tragedy of the Holocaust we focus on a love story nobody cares about. Sounds like the Pearl Harbor movie doesn't it?
½ June 5, 2014
Between a 4/10 and 5/10, this fails not only as an espionage thriller, but also as a romance.
April 14, 2014
Michael Douglas and Melanie Griffith star in a nostalgic WWII movie about going undercover in Nazi Germany. In a memorable scene, they dance to the song "I'll Be Seeing You in All the Old Familiar Places". Thrilling, romantic, inspiring, gripping.
April 7, 2014
This movie has gotten such terrible reviews and frankly, they are undeserved. Yes, it harkens back to a time when film noir and melodrama were the mainstream. So what it was made in 1992. It is still a good story and Griffith and Richardson do a great job. During an era of many WWII movies, it still does ok. I think history will be much kinder to it than the reviews of many 1992 contemporaries. The tomato meter is a 36% but audience is a 74%. Why is that??? Sometimes, "critics" think their ^%&* doesn't stink.
½ December 20, 2013
I thought it was ok entertainment for a few hours when it first came out -- But would be much better and would have held up better with a better actress in the staring role. The ending, with their adult sons appearing, was seriously awful.
April 12, 2013
A great film--that shows once again rotten tomatoes and other critics failure in looking beyond the end of their nose--
March 4, 2013
This wasn't bad. The climax was pretty cool. Melanie Griffith used to be a real movie star.
½ March 4, 2013
Everything about this espionage 'thriller' is deadly serious when, in reality, it's a complete dog. Griffith produces more snickers than an Eddie Murphy standup routine.