Shipwrecked Reviews

• May 07, 2020

A not-so-bad family adventure

A not-so-bad family adventure

• Mar 08, 2020

Still trying to remember this one, but I Hurd it was just forgettable.

Still trying to remember this one, but I Hurd it was just forgettable.

• Mar 01, 2020

Shipwrecked (1991) score by Patrick Doyal Film starts in England in 1859 The film has the family start in Norway I love it when a ships boy says the next round is on me and gets all the sailors on the crew milk. And the crew just gave the ships boy beer before. Sydney then Calcutta which is pirate territory The first officer played to have the captain poisoned by having someone put poison into the alcohol bottle the Captain ritually would drink out of. Captain Howel had contraband of muskets in a wood crate labeled as glass in an area trip known for pirates. The shipsboys discovered this mislabeled wood crate filled with muskets. After reaching Sydney Australia from England after a 3 month voyage the Captain cancels Shore Leave because behind schedule. New members of the crew are added in Sydney who look suspicious figures supposedly used to help fight pirates. Holkhom Girl stowaway gets onboard named Mary promises to teach ship boys how to read. Article reads John Merrick Terror of the South Seas The traps that the boy creates with the salvaged shipwrecked cargo and the treasure he finds hidden is impressive m I like the film. It is a very intelligent film which does not make the kids look dumb.

• Apr 12, 2017

I loved this when I was a kid. Only like it till this day, because of my passion for the ocean.

• May 19, 2015

Plucky Norwegian boy Haakon elects to be a cabin boy on a merchant's ship to save his farm from financial ruin. While crossing the seas, his ship is nearly hijacked by the infamous pirate Merrick (a snarling, gleefully nasty Gabriel Byrne) when it is sunk in a storm. Washing up stranded on a tropical island, Hakon discovers the pirate's treasure and fashions booby-traps to keep Merrick at bay. By his side is a pretty, spunky stowaway orphan named Mary and the faithful sailor Jens. There are places where this otherwise lively seagoing (no pun intended) adventure feels a bit rushed, as if the filmmakers were trying to rapidly get through the opening scenes before getting into the meat of the adventure. But other than that and the sometimes cardboard cut (but likable) characters, this Disney production is good old-fashioned fun. Suspenseful, action-packed, and never boring, the film mixes "Treasure Island" with "Home Alone", particularly in the latter half of the movie, to good effect. In short, SHIPWRECKED is not a movie you'll be calling a classic by any means, but it is quite enjoyable nonetheless.

• Mar 17, 2015

reminded me of 'swiss family robinson"

reminded me of 'swiss family robinson"

• Feb 07, 2015

Okay as a kid's movie, and it has some pretty scenes of sunsets, etc., but if you compare it to how magically enchanting The Black Stallion worked for all age levels, this film comes across as having nothing for adults. Comparing it to real classics in a similar vein, like Treasure Island with Jackie Cooper and Wallace Beery, or Captain's Courageous with Spencer Tracey and Freddie Bartholomew, really shows up the weakness of this film. Disney did better many years ago with The Swiss Family Robinson. The whole gorilla thing is just ludicrous.

• Aug 07, 2013

Perhaps not quite original (Stevenson anyone?) but yet exciting as it can get.

Perhaps not quite original (Stevenson anyone?) but yet exciting as it can get.

• Aug 04, 2013

I loved this movie growing up!!! Kind of cheesy now now, but still a good flick.

• Apr 09, 2013

While some of director Nils Gaup's shots and transitions between scenes are a little odd, this Norwegian Disney adventure about a young ship boy has an old fashioned charm and storytelling approach, boasted by regular dashes of humour, a fun & exciting score by master Patrick Doyle (a sort of kid-friendly precursor to John Debney's score for Cutthroat Island some years later) and some great practical action sequences, like the wrecking of the ship during a storm, a feat doubly impressive considering the film's limited budget.