Shiri - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shiri Reviews

½ September 10, 2013
This is Korea's answer to Tom Clancy and they did it pretty well. Fueled by john woo style action and a backdrop of national pride for the drama, it is Korea's mark in cinema. Though I'd like to see more action from the top assassin Hee instead of her gullible love affair. Her character reminds me a lot Crying Freeman which is fascinating. It could have been better also if they took away the love story and focused on the north and southern conflict.
½ August 24, 2013
Pretty decent action flick, but it goes on far too long.

I basically got it cause the library had it and I have always wanted to see more on my LOST favorite, Yunjin Kim. She was good here, as was the whole cast, and the plot was kind of good: the bomb stuff the bad guys use is pretty amazing.

The action scenes are really good, minus the middle chase scene that must have been filmed by a guy having a seizure, and it's really violent in areas. I loved what happened when they tried to capture the female bad guy!!!

I thought the twist was quite easy to discover, especially if you just put the easiest clues together.

It just needed to be a bit tighter in story wise, as the first half can really drag in a few areas, but that final soccer match was pretty sweet!
August 18, 2013
70% action + 30% heart = 100% satisfaction
August 16, 2013
A sleeper spy Korean action film that toys with the economic disparities between South and North Korea and the motivations for unification. The emotional sway and political back story is actually quite intriguing until the final 10 minutes where it derails and Kang Je-Kyu refuses to close it out properly almost as if he fell in love with his female character and wanted to deliver a swan song like many Korean dramas. Up until that point the first hour and 45 minutes is pulse pounding, kinetic and for an action film surprisingly well thought out. First time rating: 6.3/10 (if the finale was edited this rating would be far higher)
½ July 19, 2013
A good way to summarize this film is: It's a 2 hour Korean Soap Opera that would think more about Action than Drama with nicely made action sequences and A LOT of Bullets. The drama night be over the top, but you can actually sit through this without suffering from the main flaws of Drama.
May 11, 2013
"Features explosive effects and flashy action best viewed on a large screen." "Compelling, kinetic, fast and furious." "A huge box-office hit in Korea, Shiri is a must for genre fans." A very exciting political drama starring Song Kang-ho. Oldboy and the woman from Lost. SKollywood classic.

Spoiler Alert: It was Hydra the whole time!
February 1, 2012
I liked this. A nice gunfight action movie. With enough story to keep you interested.
½ December 3, 2011
One of the biggest films from Korea.
Should be exciting but strangely it never really gets going.
Lots of recognisable korean actors but no one stands out.

And that cover........totally and utterly misleading!
½ November 5, 2011
Good conept to the movie, however was missing things. Seemed to have some plot holes or else I just was missing parts of it.
August 14, 2011
didn't take long to guess who Hee was. the plot was a lil flaky at times and there were just a lotta bang! bang! bang! throughout.
who would've expected an action flick to be quite the tearjerker as well though.
shiri has got two great actors - a younger, leaner song kang-ho and choi min-sik.
½ June 14, 2011
Good movie - well done for a limited budget. The first Korean film that gained international buzz. Not the best but monumentally important to history. Due to this movie's success, the Korean film industry, with all it's top talent in the world, was born.
April 23, 2011
Has some AMAZING moments - truly brilliant filmmaking, but just as often it feels lacking.
½ April 3, 2011
Unfortunately banal action movie, especially when compared to South Korea's more recent thrillers. The surprising, though not quite redeeming, quality to this film is the romantic drama presented. It's unfortunate that the director was trying to make an action movie, because the romance was much better developed than the wild plot with it's obvious twist. It didn't help that all the investigation dialogues were flat presentation of the facts. Ultimately, I think this movie was just to tied to the other action movies of this time and genre
½ January 25, 2011
Slick Hollywood action style shooter, it's humourless , the bodycount is high and is very gory indeed. The twist can be seen a mile off mind you.
½ January 19, 2011
Total crap.
Typical tragic Asian cinema mixed with entirely too many shaky gun battle sequences. I sincerely hope this film does not accurately portray the marksmanship skills of South Korea's police and special forces units. I also hope that they are no where near as quick to fire into a crowd of people in real life as in this "film".
I want my 2 hours back.
January 6, 2011
when i dream,i dream of you...just that song as the film credits roll in at the end.........love story,action story...wow...
½ August 24, 2010
A love story with lots of actions. The story is easy to guess so you will start hoping that this romance will somewhat continue.... Fish and water effectively used to represent their true love.
½ August 7, 2010
The film that opened the floodgates of the Korean Wave/Hallyu. Occasionally ridiculous but always entertaining and with some twists I didn't see coming.
½ August 4, 2010
I've never looked at a pet shop the same way since.
July 6, 2010
Arguably one of the best Korean movies I've seen..
The plot was sublime and utterly interesting~
I hope Korea can have peace with one another just like Germany..