The Shoes of the Fisherman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shoes of the Fisherman Reviews

June 28, 2016
Amazing that at the height of the VN war Hollywood was presenting this stuff. Two Commie leaders, a Russian (Stalin?) and a Chinese (Mao?) are presented al levelheaded guys determined to prevent war and end starvation. Meanwhile. by 68 Moscow/Beiging had murdered about 150 million worldwide and a lot of it through starvation (see Holodomor,Leap Forward). And the Church is the 'rich' bogeyman who caused it all. No wonder we are where we are today.
October 6, 2015
It is a 50 year old movie, but I enjoyed it. If only all Popes cared about the world rather than the church.
June 15, 2015
Brilliant story even though the telling and the cinematography is now dated. The viewer must keep the movie in context of the 1960s when the film was released.
April 12, 2015
this religious pic was one of my mom's faves and I have fond memories of watching it with her.
½ December 31, 2014
You won't find better costumes or locations/sets from 1960s movies -- although the film is a bit more dated than your average 60's flick.
September 14, 2014
I gave it 3-stars for the sincere and weighty performance by Anthony Quinn who made a believable padre in search of a personal Christ; and for the lofty idea that a Pope, so called Peter Himself (as in the church language), would be willing to give up the possessions and wealth of the church to help the Poors / the Have-Nothings.

Let's hope that more priests and ministers and rabbis and imams can learn a thing or two from this Hollywood movie and put the welfare of the people before the welfare of church's coffer.
May 9, 2014
A curious, at times almost prescient anticipation of the reign of John Paul II, filtered partly through the lens of the Silly Sixties.
March 25, 2013
Este es un visionario filme realizado en 1968, pero que entre más pasa el tiempo, más demuestra lo profético que resultó ser. Ya que el personaje interpretado brillantemente por Anthony Quinn, un sacerdote ruso que estuvo en prisión injustamente y luego llega a ser nombrado Papa tras una larga sucesión de papas exclusivamente italianos y que al ser elegido demuestra una atípica sencillez y humildad, es fácilmente una visionaria interpretación y fusión de personalidades reales como Nelson Mandela, el Papa Juan Pablo II y el ahora Papa Francisco. Demostrando que este filme lejos de desactualizarse y volverse irrelevante, al contrario, luego de 45 años, es más vigente y meritorio de ver que nunca antes. Con un formidable elenco de apoyo con talentos como Oskar Werner, Leo McKern, Vittorio De Sica, David Janssen y Barbara Jefford, además cuenta con cameos del calibre de Laurence Olivier y John Gielgud. Creo que la gente que ha calificado bajamente este filme son personas que no han vuelto a ver este filme, ya que si lo hicieran, se darían cuenta lo visionario de su guión. Altamente recomendada.
March 11, 2013
I haven't read the novel so I can't compare The Shoes of the Fisherman on that account. But the film is a beautiful look at the making of an unlikely pope, played with an acute sensitivity by Quinn. It was a pleasure to also see Olivier and Gielgud in important roles. I'm still trying to figure out how they filmed in St. Peter's. Stock footage?
February 24, 2013
A great and timely way to spend a cold Sunday afternoon....
February 23, 2013
Not the greatest film in the world but amazing how similar the story is to John Paul II
½ December 24, 2012
Despite it is pretty interesting the way Anderson shows the death and election of the new Pope and the imaginative plot that predicted a polish Pope ten years later, the film gets lost in several subplots that aren't well developed. Great score by Alex North and wonderful art direction and costume design. So - so performances.
½ December 24, 2012
½ October 1, 2012
Interesante puesto hace propuestas muy adelantadas a su tiempo, pero es demasiado pro-libertad cristiana y anti-vaticano romanico, catolico, apostolico.
June 13, 2012
A human being is accidentally appointed as Pope, rather than a Nazi, a paedophile, an apologist, or an antisemite, with miraculous results.
June 11, 2012
#Rentals I watched over VAC: Thoroughly enjoyed this.
April 28, 2012
Beautifully filmed, well-cast, and movingly performed, this fictional story -- of a new pope coming to terms with his ascension after spending 20 years in a Soviet prison camp -- only failed, at least for me, in its abrupt ending. As interesting and engaging as the film had been till that point, the measures proposed by the Holy Father at his coronation seemed highly problematic at best. That final scene thus felt more like a cliff-hanger than a resolution of the international crisis which had served as backdrop to the overall plot.
December 13, 2011

"Every day we ask ourselves what we can do about it before the nightmare turns itself into a mushroom cloud blotting out the sun."-Piotr Ilych Kamenev (Sir Laurence Oliver)

With the hundreds of sub plots this 'epic' should have been a twelve hour film. Acting was superb though.
½ October 20, 2010
Once again I am going against RT professional critics. I am sorry, but this film is far better than they see it.

Although unlikely, this priest rises to be the Pope of the Catholic church despite himself. Anthony Quinn and Sir Laurence Olivier contribute to this two vhs cassette set movie something that can't be concise.

With the powerful image of a world on the brink of nuclear destruction, this inspiring epic remains as timely as ever.

Anthony Quinn as Kiril Lakota/Pope Kiril I
Burt Kwouk as Peng
Arnoldo Foà as Gelasio
Leopoldo Trieste as Dying Man's Friend
Frank Finlay as Igor Bounin

The film was originally a project of the British director Anthony Asquith but he became ill and was replaced by Michael Anderson (Asquith died in 1968).

The film was nominated for two Oscars.
September 11, 2010
This movie is a classic work concerning faith and politics, the spiritual world and the secular world and how neither are completely - if ever - separated from one another. Anthony Quinn gives a brilliant performance as Kiril Lakota (a character based off of Cardinal Josyf Slipyj, the Patriarch of the Ukrainian-Greek Catholic Church), a Catholic bishop who has spent 20 years as a political prisoner in a Siberian camp. Set free he returns to Rome and is given a red hat and later becomes Pope of the Holy Catholic Church. Thus begins his journey maneuvering between the politics of the Vatican and the politics of the secular world. Osker Werner (a Pierre Teilhard de Chardin-inspired character) plays a priest and friend of Pope Kiril upon his return to Rome, suffering from a terminal illness whos complex and controversial writings have come under the suspicion of the Holy See. The film is a bit dated in terms of the Russia/China nuclear plot, but it is not so much you cannot enjoy the film. This film is not for everyone - it is a film of words and acting, not action, explosions, and gratuitous sex. I loved this film, but recognize not everyone will. Its a shame we dont get these kinds of movies made today.