Shogun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shogun Reviews

April 15, 2016
Shogun is beautifully crafted and easily the most ambitious TV miniseries ever made. John Rhys-Davies and Toshiro Mifune are always a pleasure to watch. The series starts off stronger than it finishes, however. The series seems to be building up to an epic battle, which does take place, but we don't get to see (too expensive?). The love story between Blackthorne and Mariko was painful to watch, due to horribly trite writing and a one-note performance from Yoko Shimada, and should have ended up on the cutting-room floor. Overall, though, Shogun is an incredible experience.
November 8, 2015
We watch this film series about every three years. It is the best, best written, best played series of all time.
June 15, 2015
Blopper. In the beginning in the aerial shot of the "Erasmus" you can see the filming helicopter's shadow as if flies over the ship
February 12, 2015
Would've liked to have seen a deeper ending, but there's plenty of character action and Samurai butt-kicking to satisfy.
August 18, 2014
truly an epic, done with style, real acting, no cgi characters.
July 23, 2014
Incredible cast including Kurosawa veteran actor Toshiro Mifune. Without whom, Kurosawa would not be the iconic legend he is. Mifune was the scene stealing star of the series above the very captivating Chamberlain. I could only wish that it were filmed in today's more enlightened and liberal film industry.
½ May 18, 2014
A true masterpiece and a mini series at that!.....writers take notes.
March 31, 2014
Was a great movie was hard to understand when characters was where speaking Japanese but overall I would recommends it
½ March 13, 2014
Epic miniseries which helped reintroduce Japanese film and culture to English speakers.
½ November 26, 2012
Rich and fulfilling, a great adaptation of Clavell's masterpiece--Worthy of its Claim as an Epic!!
½ October 7, 2012
Although it suffered from some hammy acting (Mostly by Chamberlain), It was well-written and very detailed. (to the point of being excessively slow). Toshiro Mifune was beyond reproach, as was most of the Japanese cast. John Rhys-Davies and Vladek Shebal also get major props.
September 30, 2012
Really impressive technically especially for a tv movie especially for the time. But the story is just ludicrous. I almost burst out laughing when the main character tried to explain the Treaty of Tordesillas to the shogun. Like he would ever understand him or accept his authority.
September 19, 2012
Beautifully shot. Beautifully directed. Beautifully acted. Horribly scored. For a television miniseries from 1980, this was the very meaning of 'epic' and still to this day holds up over time. But the score by Maurice Jarre leaves everything to be desired. Please someone who can, rescore this!
August 28, 2012
a truly fantastic miniseries that has withstood the test of time like no other. you really can't say enough about it. five stars.
September 9, 2011
TV Mini series that brings alive 16th century Japan. Richard Chamberlain's finest 9 hours. Samurai Warriors, Jesuits, the beautiful Yoko Shimada and the brilliant Toshiro Mifune make this a truely fascinating adventure.
½ May 1, 2011
a childhood classic that made me learn so much about the tokugawa shogunnate
½ January 27, 2011
Epic. Though a tad too long
October 3, 2010
Purdy Dang Good, and not just because of nostalgia, while some of the ship FX were weak, the rest would stand up today, EXCEPT for those fake bald skullcaps
September 15, 2010
Compared to the book this 80's mini series at the time did a good job, although I feel like the book offered more than the series did.
I wouldnt mind seeing an adaptation or remake of this mini-series with the same story line, as long as the accents are right...
July 29, 2010
One of the all-time great mini series with excellent performances and meticulous attention to Oriental detail.