Shogun Assassin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shogun Assassin Reviews

February 3, 2016
High quality samurai action.
½ October 24, 2015
Basically best old school samurai movie ever made.
½ August 4, 2015
Technically the first two films in the Lone Wolf and Cub series edited together into one film for a Western audience. Whilst much of the blood letting has been left in tact, with a number of standout sequences, the editing of two films leaves the narrative rather muddled. This in turn creates a rather unsatisfying film that has no conclusion and the added voice-over detracts from rather than adds to the film.
½ July 28, 2015
The almost relentless soundtracks certainly makes an impression in this film, it's very modern for the time, almost John Carpenter in style, and does work even though the setting is not contemporary. There's a lot more gore than usual for this genre but again it works well enough as it's pacy and never tries to be too serious.
½ March 30, 2015
Growing up, I was a big fan of the Lone Wolf and Cub comic books. I've always wanted to check out the full six-part non-dubbed mini-series. That said, I was also curious to see what all the fuss was about regarding this truncated US cut that got banned and labeled a"video nasty." (It is primarily part two from the original series with about ten minutes from part one). As campy as it is, it's remarkably entertaining, with buckets of blood, striking choreography and interesting camera and sound choices. The characters are memorable and the 80 minutes whiz by. I suppose the censors were uncomfortable with the little "cub" being such a large part of the violence throughout. Personally, I found it a wacky blast and as a child I would have loved it.
February 14, 2015
Wanna know where Quentin Tarantino got his inspiration for Kill Bill?

Watch this movie. It's the best revenge movie EVER MADE!!!
February 7, 2015
Man walking around with baby cart fending off ninja assassins...baby cart has sword and knife projectiles... what's not to like?
January 17, 2015
It is funny to watch this film. They speak English?? The action sequences are great. The deaths are not suppose to be funny, but with blood spraying like this, seriously? And the little boy is cutest Japanese boy I've seen in movie history. Overall, I find it entertaining. I wonder if Wong Kar Wai's "ashes of time" bears reference to this film. For those of you who had seen both films, I am talking about the dialogue of the blind swordman and the final scene in this film.
January 17, 2015
Bloody yes but completely fabulous . A relentless Ninja and amazingly cool sequences of the Hero slaughtering them. Don't know what makes it superb bit it just does. The direction and editing are very good with very good acting from the lead
January 11, 2015
Nice, violent samurai film
December 31, 2014
Crazy Violent but fun as hell action-packed film that combines some movies together. It could've been a disaster but it works.
December 19, 2014
São geralmente bastante inferiores os filmes que conhecem novas montagens para se adaptarem a este ou aquele mercado. Parece às vezes que o original perde dignidade e alguma da sua lógica (ou toda até) com tantas mudanças. Aos olhos de quem o vê pela primeira vez, "Shogun Assassin", versão americana que mistura dois dos originais da saga japonesa "Lone Wolf & Cub", é contudo uma prova maior de como algumas adaptações ocidentais merecem todo o respeito. São evidentes as dificuldades de "Shogun Assassin" em prolongar a sua narrativa esquelética além dos primeiros trinta minutos, mas esse é um aspecto secundário quando estamos a assistir a um filme de samurai totalmente abundante em termos de estilo e criatividade. Aliás "Shogun Assassin" nunca fica aquém de ser um verdadeiro banquete enquanto filme de aventuras e acção capaz de preencher a mente apenas como fazem os grandes espectáculos. Faz por isso todo o sentido que GZA tenha pegado em excertos sonoros do filme para enriquecer a sonoplastia do clássico "Liquid Swords" (é lindo escutar finalmente as palavras do puto acompanhadas por imagens). Em "Shogun Assassin", tal como em "Liquid Swords", os protagonistas pensam rápido, as forças dão sempre o melhor de si e a vigilância constante é quase um segundo respirar. Falta-me ainda ver os originais, mas arrisco a dizer que tenho aqui um dos meus filmes de acção sagrados. A falta de qualidade na cópia que saquei não me impede de lhe atribuir a nota máxima.
½ July 13, 2014
A wonderful edit of the first two Lone Wolf and Cub films. Feels more like a storybook recollection from Cub's perspective than its own stand alone narrative which lends a wonderful dreamlike quality to the film. I'm actually now concerned that all the best bits of the two films are used here and that only fodder remains. Luckily for me, i have yet to see a boring Japanese film and so will go on to see if i'm right or not.

In short, (near video nasty) Shogun Assassin is fantastical Samurai action at its best and at a dirt cheap price, you can't go wrong.
May 18, 2014
Definitely a cool movie, but it pales in comparison to the 6 part series.
January 30, 2014
It's just amateurish and cheesy and nasty.
December 26, 2013
Bloody good martial arts badassery...
September 25, 2013
Probably the only dubbed stand-alone remake worth watching...EVER. Classic.
August 23, 2013
This is probably the only dubbed into English flick that I like and I actually prefer it over 'Baby-Cart at the River Styx'. This could be down to the fact that Cub's narrative is smapled on Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords, So much blood and Lone Wolf is probably one of the nastiest cunts in the history of cinema.
½ June 18, 2013