Shopgirl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shopgirl Reviews

April 16, 2018
The story and the characters seem to imply that Shopgirl is a romantic comedy. The music and the cinematography, however, appear to think that this is an artsy drama film. And it's that disconnect which makes this movie not as good as it could have been. It just feels like something's off the entire time.
March 20, 2018
I first saw Shopgirl when it was released at a small theater in downtown San Fran in 2005. At the time, it was "okay". However, every year or so, when I rewatch it the movie grows on me. Mostly, it is Claire Danes' performance. Sometimes, I wonder what the movie would be like if it was told totally from Jeremy's perspective.;)
March 12, 2018
A very nice, tender love story based on a novella by sTeve martin. the cast is perfect: steve martin, claire danes, and jason schwartzman. it is a minor film in some ways, but beautifully filmed and with a great plot. certainly out of the ordinary and well worth the time to watch.
DrStrangeblog
August 1, 2017
A lonely sales girl at the seldom visited glove counter has the misfortune of suddenly becoming the fixation of a poor dweeby slacker and a rich distant philanderer. Jason Schwartzman provides most of the Humour with his cluelessness, while Steve Martin Is more aloof and, dare I say it, bland then he's ever been. Considering that he actually wrote the story and play at the park, we must assume this is exactly how he wanted this character portrayed, but that doesn't contribute much to cinematic entertainment. A modest film yielding modest results.
August 5, 2016
interesting. I think it would have been better without the narration.
June 27, 2016
If you haven't seen it you really should. I very much related to Mirabelle. And it completely broke my heart when she said "why don't you love me?" I thought, "that's me." The night I watched this movie for the first time I cried myself to sleep afterward.
May 22, 2016
boring at some parts, but it had its moments. I just gave it a higher rating than it deserved because I looove Jason Schwartzman!
October 24, 2015
About par with the book, which isn't saying too much, since it was also only OK. There's no real motivation or backstory as to why Ray (Martin) would go after Mirabelle (Danes), or why she would find him appealing... Definitely needed more Schwartzman in it to make it funnier and charming. Not bad, but tries to be too serious/poignant at times, when it's just nothing extraordinary, really.
August 13, 2015
Small movie with big performances particularly from Martin and Danes.
May 17, 2015
This romantic triangle film has great performances, especially from Claire Danes.
May 7, 2015
This film was unexpectedly sad but without the Hollywood melodrama.
½ March 18, 2015
Just didn't hold my attention. Danes' character is too boring.
March 6, 2015
Poignant and lovely.
January 17, 2015
Que buena actriz es Claire Danes una película deferente muy recomendable.
½ January 2, 2015
1/2/2015: An ok movie. A decent story and Danes is great!
September 12, 2014
It starts out odd, turns depressing, but ends on a high note. An exceptional performance by Danes, her range of emotion is impressive. Schwartzman is delightfully sleazy, Martin is funny enough. Not a bad soundtrack either.
September 2, 2014
A surprisingly good little romance film. There are a few absolutely hilarious moments, but I wish it would have been more consistently funny throughout.
August 19, 2014
This romantic comedy is really neither. The romance is pedestrian and there truly are no funny parts; there are mounds of odd bits, but no laughs. Another pointless look into the life of an ordinary person to find it is just as dull as our own lives. The only revelation I got from this movie, and I'm a huge Steve Martin fan, is that Claire Danes has an exquisite rear end.
July 24, 2014
A rare, unusual, thoughtful film bracketed by 3 nuanced performances. Sad, poignant, compelling, uplifting, subtle: a real gem topped with a lovely soundtrack. A must see.