Shopgirl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shopgirl Reviews

August 5, 2016
interesting. I think it would have been better without the narration.
June 27, 2016
If you haven't seen it you really should. I very much related to Mirabelle. And it completely broke my heart when she said "why don't you love me?" I thought, "that's me." The night I watched this movie for the first time I cried myself to sleep afterward.
May 22, 2016
boring at some parts, but it had its moments. I just gave it a higher rating than it deserved because I looove Jason Schwartzman!
October 24, 2015
About par with the book, which isn't saying too much, since it was also only OK. There's no real motivation or backstory as to why Ray (Martin) would go after Mirabelle (Danes), or why she would find him appealing... Definitely needed more Schwartzman in it to make it funnier and charming. Not bad, but tries to be too serious/poignant at times, when it's just nothing extraordinary, really.
August 13, 2015
Small movie with big performances particularly from Martin and Danes.
May 17, 2015
This romantic triangle film has great performances, especially from Claire Danes.
May 7, 2015
This film was unexpectedly sad but without the Hollywood melodrama.
½ March 18, 2015
Just didn't hold my attention. Danes' character is too boring.
March 6, 2015
Poignant and lovely.
January 17, 2015
Que buena actriz es Claire Danes una película deferente muy recomendable.
½ January 2, 2015
1/2/2015: An ok movie. A decent story and Danes is great!
September 12, 2014
It starts out odd, turns depressing, but ends on a high note. An exceptional performance by Danes, her range of emotion is impressive. Schwartzman is delightfully sleazy, Martin is funny enough. Not a bad soundtrack either.
September 2, 2014
A surprisingly good little romance film. There are a few absolutely hilarious moments, but I wish it would have been more consistently funny throughout.
August 19, 2014
This romantic comedy is really neither. The romance is pedestrian and there truly are no funny parts; there are mounds of odd bits, but no laughs. Another pointless look into the life of an ordinary person to find it is just as dull as our own lives. The only revelation I got from this movie, and I'm a huge Steve Martin fan, is that Claire Danes has an exquisite rear end.
July 24, 2014
A rare, unusual, thoughtful film bracketed by 3 nuanced performances. Sad, poignant, compelling, uplifting, subtle: a real gem topped with a lovely soundtrack. A must see.
June 6, 2014
Unusually sweet movie about lonely people adrift in LA. Also a proof that a "romantic" comedy does not have to be yet another boring chick-flick. Mirabelle is a girl, working at the gloves counter of a department store. She does not have much to do, since gloves are not much in demand. In her spare time she draws in Edward Hopper's style.

At the laundry, she meets James, a young aimless slob. They have an awkward date and sex, mostly due to lack of social and emotional intelligence than to personal flaws.

Then Mirabelle starts to be "courted" by Ray, an elderly, rich gentleman, equally unable to connect emotionally, but very much skilled in old-fashioned gallantry. The two embark in a sexual relationship which in Ray's mind will never turn into "commitment".

Although Mirabelle enjoys the obvious perks of dating a rich, kind man, she starts longing for emotional fulfillment. In the meantime James leaves LA to be a roadie of some sort and while travelling with a rock band, he gets some self-help books about relationships.

When James comes back to town, sort of mature by his experience, the Mirabelle/Ray relation has reached stalemate. Reluctant to give up on Ray, Mirabelle fells into a depression, probably triggered by her unspoken needs. Eventually Ray breaks it off, setting in motion a more assertive Mirabelle, who finally decides to quit her boring job.

The two meet some time after the break-up. Mirabelle is working in an art gallery showing some of her work. She and James are now happily together, while Ray is visiting the exhibition with another "girlfriend" of some sort. Mirabelle and Ray have a short private conversation during which he admits of having loved her, but that does not matter anymore to Mirabelle.

I really enjoyed the simple storyline and the interpretation of the three main characters.
May 3, 2014
Relationships Are Often Trouble By Needs Being Sought From People Whom Cannot Completely Meet Them..You Must Compromise. But Some Compromises Are Just Too Complex & Fraught With Danger.
March 3, 2014
When a shopkeeper working at a Beverly Hills store has two men wanting to romance her, one wealthy and one not, she must chose which one she wants to be with.

stars Steve Martin, Claire Danes, Jason Schwartzman, Bridgette Wilson-Sampras,Samuel Bottoms, Frances Conroy, Rebecca Pidgeon, Gina Doctor and Clyde Kusatsu.

directed by Anand Tucker.
January 18, 2014
It was overly slow and the plot was thin, but the acting was pretty good. I see this movie as more of an art film than a romance.