Shopping - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shopping Reviews

August 9, 2015
When the bored adolescent and adrenalin junkie Billy McKenzie (Jude Law) gets released from prison for joyriding and ram-raiding, his rival and petty criminal Tommy (Sean Pertwee) has taken over the streets of the gritty post-industrial city they live in. Billy hooks up with his usual partner in crime and platonic girlfriend, Jo (Sadie Frost) and they get back to joyriding and ram-raiding as soon as they can. Theyīre not in it for the money, but to entertain and support themselves with worldly things. A fight for power commences as Billy starts hitting shops before Tommy had planned to. Jo wants Billy to change his lifestyle and move away, instead of fighting Tommy, a fight which will hurt them both in the end. He agrees, but he wants to take on a big shopping mall on a final hit. Something that has never been done before, which will make him a hero among the other joyriders. A plan that ultimately has tragic consequences...

Paul W.S. Anderson gained a fair bit of notoriety in his native England when he directed "Shopping" (1994) (which he also wrote). The film was banned in some cinemas in England, and became a direct-to-video slightly edited release in the United States. The anarchic and slightly nihilistic view of the main characters makes them hardly likeable as they do as they please in their own little world within the society. Jude Lawīs Billy just wants to be someone and by doing greater and greater hits he can become king in this group of joyriders. Jo is more balanced and knows that their kicks will eventually hurt them, but yet she continues with the joyriding and ram-raiding. The kicks and the fuck you to society attitude is her petrol. But, to me thereīs important layers in "Shopping" pointing out the problem with the youth for not being able to become part of society. They canīt get a job, they are on a collision course with parents, the search for kicks, the lost faith in themselves, the lost faith in society etc. The same issues we continue to have and we seem to struggle to solve these global problems. Something we truly need to take care of. I donīt think that "Shopping" is glamourising joyriding and ram-raiding as the consequences are quite clear in the film and I reckon that was hardly the main point from Paul W.S. Anderson. "Shopping" has something unique that makes it stand out. The plot line, the pulsating soundtrack (excellent theme song from The Sabres of Paradise), the visual elements and the great cast in Jude Law, Sadie Frost (lovely actress), Sean Pertwee, Jonathan Pryce and Sean Bean. Yes, itīs not spot on acting wise or direction wise all they way through. But, the unbalanced indie feeling of it only enhances the film and fits the film as well in my mind. I enjoyed re-seeing this one.
December 30, 2014
Group of youth go on 'shopping' sprees for a local fence by running automobiles through department store windows and looting. Possibly more style than substance. Relative newcomer Jude Law is easy to identify as a rising star.
May 2, 2014
Iconic for the altertative demographic. I could be wrong...
½ May 16, 2013
Seems like a cheap British made for TV film.
January 22, 2013
Paul "The Real" Anderson's first film. Bet it's real good... Well, better than anything PTA's made.
½ October 6, 2012
A surprisingly artful, sleek and stylish adrenaline-fueled actioner. One of Paul W.S. Anderson's very few good films.
½ September 24, 2012
Saw this years ago, enjoyed it back in the day, not sure how I would feel now.
November 13, 2011
Before he went to Hollywood and started directing crap, Paul WS Anderson proved he actually had some talent with this tale of disenchanted youth. There's still very much an ironic "video game" element here, and time hasn't been great to it...and yet you wonder what might have happened if Anderson hadn't been corrupted by the big Hollywood dollar signs.
October 30, 2011
Its Jude Law's first film, and I want to see it.
January 27, 2011
Not very good at all. There were bits and pieces that I did like but in the end it all felt too contrived for me. Plus I'm pretty sure this was aiming at the raver/gamer subcultures (two cultures I've never had much interest in). Never was much of a Jude Law fan either. Anyways the deal is Billy likes to steal cars and shop lift. And he steals cars and shoplifts regardless of the consequences. The ultimate badass... except the film never went very deep into Billys psyche and made no attempt to explain, even vaugley, why he gets such thrills out of this lifestyle. Not that I have anything against stealing cars and shoplifting, but if a movie trys to take these two innocent enough past times on, I expect a point to be made by the end. There really isn't one to be found here other than the fact that Billy likes to steal cars and shoplift (since he's suppossdely the ulitmate bad ass... whatever.) A boring film that deserves to be forgotten. If it does have the cult following which it is apparently supposed to, then this is one of those cases that it is ill deserved. All it was really attempting to do was cater to a certain audience, who existed in a certain time and place. That culture has of course grown away from this embarassing footnote and so should have all of it's fans. Good enough for a watch I guess if you go for this sort of thing, but I was just bored.
½ September 10, 2010
Didn't even know this film existed. Picked it up by mistake and saw a few names i recognized so i thought i'd give it a try. At first seems like the first typical 90's films. Mindless violence, insane and hashed rush, but well thought and combined. I'm pretty sure it reminds me of something i just...can't remember.
An all-style, no-content attitudinal actioner, "Shopping" is as blank-minded as its vapidly rebellious leading characters. Set in a vaguely futuristic Britain exclusively populated by valueless kids and fascistic police, this slick , sleek and empty joyless ride is immediately unhinged by its lack of credible forces of opposition; there's nothing colliding here except cars. No twists and no particular interesting dialogues but fun and quite entertaining. Enjoy!
½ September 5, 2010
That was the most intense scared straight video I have ever seen.
½ June 3, 2010
A good throwback to A Clockwork Orange and Brazil. It worked really well as a car movie but also as a post apocalyptic themed action adventure.
June 3, 2010
The only decent and good movie that Paul W.S. Anderson has ever made aside from Death Race, this just works really well and has a great backdrop and sense of style. Jude Law was the ultimate rebel with a love for good music, which is apparently hard to come by. It's an interesting plot that faintly reminded me of A Clockwork Orange, but didn't steal from it which was respectable. It's a very interesting take on the dystopian future that is very subtle and perfectly odd.
½ May 27, 2010
Despite the fast car chases, crashes, and carnage, I didn't think this was a very exciting movie. There wasn't anything new or original in the plot either.
½ May 27, 2010
[size=2]I'm beginning the rather lengthy task of entering into the database every film I have seen, at least those I have a decent memory of. Some may have the briefest of reviews while many will just have a number. Those films that I consider personal favorites and/or those that have some historical signficance I will add later when I have time for more lengthy reviews.

[b]Shopping[/b], directed by Paul Anderson, is the story of an ex-con named Billy (Jude Law) and his girlfriend Jo (Sadie Frost). They lead a group of teens who like to ram store windows with cars and then "shop" before police arrive. Somewhat enertaining, but mostly notable for being Jude Law's first starring role.

[b]Dancer, Texas[/b] is a low budget indie flick about a group of four High School plas that debate their future in this small West Texas town of 81 residents. Not bad, but not particularly memorable either.

[b]The Rock[/b], directed by Michael Bay, is long on special effects and action, but short on substance. I've never liked any Michael Bay picture I've seen, and this is one no exception. Somehow Sean Connery, Nicholas Cage and Ed Harris are involved in this mess.

[b]G.I. Jane[/b], directed by Ridley Scott, stars Demi Moore as Jordan O'Neil, a woman who is chose to be a guinea pig to test women in combat situations. She is the first woman chosen to be a part of the elite Navy SEAL program, one that most men fail. She manages to get through training despite all the odds and the many men who try to bring her down. This sould have been a great film, instead it seems eerily familar to similar stories involving male characters.

[b]Dying Young[/b], directed by Joel Schumacher, stars Campbell Scott as a wealthy young man dying of leukemia. His family hires Julia Roberts to help him through his treatments and they soon fall in love. Decent performances from Scott, Roberts and Colleen Dewhurst, but it's way to predictable and sentimental. Not horrible though.

January 16, 2010
Loved this film when I was young!