La Corta notte delle bambole di vetro (Short Night of the Glass Dolls) Reviews

• Stephen M Super Reviewer
    Feb 13, 2014

A disappointing giallo. The premise is relatively strong - an American journalist in Prague is discovered in a cataleptic stupor, mistaken for dead and delivered to the morgue; will he snap out of it before his own autopsy? - but the flashback story binding the thing together, some random guff about a missing girlfriend and a group of Satanists, is thoroughly dreary and too short on incident. Distinguished only by the presence of Ingrid Thulin and a below-par Morricone score, the best I can say of <i>Short Night of Glass Dolls</i> is that, like many another giallo (<i>The Perfume of the Lady in Black</i>, <i>The House with Laughing Windows</i>, etc), at least it has the courage of its own grisly convictions; the ending is almost worth waiting for.

• Dec 24, 2013

Interesting premise, but lacking in substance. Good ending.

Interesting premise, but lacking in substance. Good ending.

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    Oct 31, 2012

An American journalist recalls investigating the disappearance of his Czech girlfriend---as he lies on a mortuary slab, either dead or in a deep catatonic state. Extremely slow-moving and not worth the eventual black magic payoff. The title has nothing to do with anything.

• Apr 20, 2012

A well done giallo, but very slow moving without much tension.

A well done giallo, but very slow moving without much tension.

• Feb 06, 2012

Told in flashbacks as our hero lies on a coroner's table, alive but frozen and unable to alert them that he isn't dead, this one makes for interesting viewing. Our lead is on the hunt for his missing girlfriend (the always lovely Barbara Bach) and meets with suspicious dead ends at every turn, until he ultimately finds himself in over his head. Worth a rental for sure.

• Oct 22, 2011

Very entertaining giallo mystery from director Aldo Lado employees a unique flashback structure that cleverly keeps the plot spinning toward its shocking climax. Plenty of suspense style and a strong cast that includes the scene-stealing Ingrid Thulin, a must for giallo fans. Very possibly a major influence on Kubrick's 'Eyes Wide Shut'.

• Jun 21, 2011

not properly a horror nor a simple giallo, anyway a nice italian b-movie from the 70s

• Oct 12, 2010

Übergroovy Italian "horror" worth seeing for its gorgeous street shots, Ennio Morricone soundtrack, and general 1971 awesomeness. Probably won't give you nightmares, but it'll totally make you want to go shoe shopping. WARNING: CONTAINS OLD PEOPLE ORGY THAT CAN NOT BE UNSEEN.

• Jul 27, 2010

An original - if slightly convoluted - plot is supported by some crisp bava-esque cinematography and mysterious sequences.

• Jun 06, 2010

Might have just taken top spot on my list of favourite GIALLOS... The horribly named ``Short Night of the Glass Dolls`` is a film I`ve been after for some time now and I finally picked up a used copy for a reasonable price last week. ALDO LADO is an absolutely incredible director... GIUSEPPE RUZZOLINI is a genius of cinematography... The pacing is typical of early 70`s European thriller/dramas so I'm not sure how well that will go over if you aren't a fan of the genre. There's alot of build-up and an excellent amount of tension. The story-structure is "real-time" interspersed with plot-advancing "flashback" sequences and everything is handled on a level of such professionalism that you find it surprising that this film was shot in '71. Very modern. In fact... many recent (and nowhere near as good) movies have visited ``Short Night of the Glass Dolls`` for inspiration and all-out, complete storyline "rip-off". You might find yourself watching ``Short Night of the Glass Dolls`` and thinking that you've seen this all before but I assure you, you'll be seeing it here... when it was done for the first time and when it was done at it's best. Pay close attention to the cinematography... the scenes involving Jean Sorel in any dark room or Barbara Bach in the kitchen... should haunt you forever. You have seen this movie before... you just NEVER saw it like this.