Short Term 12 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Short Term 12 Reviews

March 1, 2018
A film like Short Term 12 restores my faith in the industry. Wonderful story, and an excellent cast to carry out the difficult task of conveying such a troubling topic. Hands down the best movie I have seen in years. This is what I look for in moviemaking.
½ January 29, 2018
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 9 9 8 = 82
January 15, 2018
The opening was crass and the filming and acting reminded me of a documentary done by a high school student. Pathetic. I could only watch it for 10 minutes.
December 31, 2017
Masterfully balances the multiple stories, in conjunction with the powerful performances by the entire cast.
½ December 30, 2017
A poetic and tumultuous love story unfolds like flowers in a blustery wind between two employees, Grace (Brie Larson) and Mason (John Gallagher Jr.), at a group home for troubled teens, who for a variety of reasons cannot function in contemporary society. Brie Larson gives a commanding and complex performance. One of those independent gems that remains underappreciated by mainstream audiences.
November 15, 2017
To put it simple :
(1) one of the greatest movies i have ever seen
(2) one of the most underrated movies to ever exist
(3) Brie Larson : one of the best performances I have ever seen
October 30, 2017
Easily my favorite movie.
½ September 28, 2017
Short Term 12 is exactly the sort of film that makes you really appreciate contemporary indie cinema, especially as it deals with subject matter that studio films have tackled with far less efficiency. Looking at a foster home for troubled kids, the film avoids being sappy by having a great sense of humor to it, yet also always coming off as intimate. Short Term 12 is also as excellently scripted as it is mounted, with there never being a dull moment in the film, and the lighting gives the film an artful veneer without sacrificing it's plausibility, which means Destin Daniel Cretton only needed one film for me to start calling him one of our country's best new filmmakers. Hell, the film would be a must-see alone for Brie Larson's performance, as the young actress has made some notable bit parts over the year, but here we discover that she's an actress of great range and somber effect, playing a very complex character. There's really something for everything in this movie, as it's equal parts joyful, meditative, hip, plausible, intense and heart-breaking, and it will certainly be considered one of the year's very best films. Essential viewing!
September 6, 2017
Enjoyed the movie. A pretty easy watch considering the subject matter.
September 2, 2017
This a very real film that hits a dark aspect of life. This is a great film because it helps people identify with something that could be unfamiliar to most. This movie is both sad and uplifting.
August 3, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal movie starring the greatest actress of all time brie Larson, brie Larson is spectacular in this film and also starring some random guy with and beard and I totally forgot about rami Malik. Now back to brie and her sensational acting, for some reason everything she's in is phenomenal, all the brie Larson movies I've seen, none of them were bad, not even ok, their all phenomenal. I rarely use the word phenomenal and this movie is just that and then adding brie Larson on top of that you have a Oscar nominated movie, possibly Oscar winner. The story of brie and her colleges working at a children's rehabilitation hospital sort of, a place were kids who have messed up lives go there to become better and get rid from their bad lives and so they don't have to be homeless. I loved this movie, it's sad, yes but a good kind of sad and it has some fun moments in here, can't wait to see this movie again some time in the future.
August 2, 2017
Each of the leads deliver a brilliant performance that shapes their characters throughout the film.
July 23, 2017
Stop moving the camera so much and maybe the film would be a little more ... moving. There's plenty of heartfelt - and meandering - drama here.
July 15, 2017
One of the best films I've ever seen
½ June 23, 2017
Rather than trying to beat you over the head with messages, this movie just shows working with neglected youths for exactly what it is.
It is brilliantly acted and the troubled and complicated characters all manage to be somehow likeable.
June 21, 2017
An amazing film. Great acting, stunning visuals, and raw emotion that sucks you in.
April 6, 2017
Great characters, great script, great acting, perfect runtime but the handheld cam gets a bit annoying after some time
March 27, 2017
This movie is a masterpiece, if you have not seen this film please i beg you, watch this film.
½ March 26, 2017
Without lack of depth or drama, Short Term 12 embraces every hurt with protective love.
½ March 20, 2017
Not an easy film to watch or fully comprehend, but "Short Term 12" is a drama film as eye-opening as it is painful.