Short Term 12 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Short Term 12 Reviews

September 6, 2017
Enjoyed the movie. A pretty easy watch considering the subject matter.
September 2, 2017
This a very real film that hits a dark aspect of life. This is a great film because it helps people identify with something that could be unfamiliar to most. This movie is both sad and uplifting.
August 3, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal movie starring the greatest actress of all time brie Larson, brie Larson is spectacular in this film and also starring some random guy with and beard and I totally forgot about rami Malik. Now back to brie and her sensational acting, for some reason everything she's in is phenomenal, all the brie Larson movies I've seen, none of them were bad, not even ok, their all phenomenal. I rarely use the word phenomenal and this movie is just that and then adding brie Larson on top of that you have a Oscar nominated movie, possibly Oscar winner. The story of brie and her colleges working at a children's rehabilitation hospital sort of, a place were kids who have messed up lives go there to become better and get rid from their bad lives and so they don't have to be homeless. I loved this movie, it's sad, yes but a good kind of sad and it has some fun moments in here, can't wait to see this movie again some time in the future.
August 2, 2017
Each of the leads deliver a brilliant performance that shapes their characters throughout the film.
July 23, 2017
Stop moving the camera so much and maybe the film would be a little more ... moving. There's plenty of heartfelt - and meandering - drama here.
July 15, 2017
One of the best films I've ever seen
½ June 23, 2017
Rather than trying to beat you over the head with messages, this movie just shows working with neglected youths for exactly what it is.
It is brilliantly acted and the troubled and complicated characters all manage to be somehow likeable.
June 21, 2017
An amazing film. Great acting, stunning visuals, and raw emotion that sucks you in.
April 6, 2017
Great characters, great script, great acting, perfect runtime but the handheld cam gets a bit annoying after some time
March 27, 2017
This movie is a masterpiece, if you have not seen this film please i beg you, watch this film.
½ March 26, 2017
Without lack of depth or drama, Short Term 12 embraces every hurt with protective love.
½ March 20, 2017
Not an easy film to watch or fully comprehend, but "Short Term 12" is a drama film as eye-opening as it is painful.
½ March 14, 2017
Sometimes the people who can help the most are the ones needing help. Brie Larson is gorgeous & perfect for the role.
March 11, 2017
Short Term 12 is a residential facility for troubled teenagers. The staff include Grace, Mason, Jessica and the new guy, Nate. Grace is the leader of the team and is secretly in a relationship with Mason. Things are going reasonably well until Grace discovers that she is pregnant. At about the same time, a new patient, Jaden, arrives and she stirs up unpleasant memories for Grace...

Very original, engaging and emotional drama. Not the kind of setting you see covered too frequently and it is done in a very sensitive, non-judgemental manner. While initially seeming a dry subject, you get drawn in by the backstories, the interactions and the issues involved.

The plot threatens to go down a predictable, safe and cliched route from time-to-time but then constantly surprises you with its originality and focus.

Great work by Brie Larson as Grace, showing early indications of the form that deservedly won her an Oscar 2-3 years later for Room. Solid work to from John Gallagher Jr (of Newsroom fame) as Mason. Cast also includes Rami Malek, who was later to star in Mr Robot, as Nate.
March 8, 2017
A very emotional story of love, pain, and the things it makes us do in life.
March 1, 2017
Oh my god. I loved this movie so much. It's really sad but has humor sprinkled throughout, and it ends on a happy and hopeful note. LOVED IT!
February 20, 2017
Well acted, sensitive and overall great film
February 14, 2017
I don't understand how this movie was snubbed for a best actress award and even best picture. This is Brie Larson's best performance after before Room. One of the best film of 2013 and hopefully after this movie youth will understand why they should stay out of trouble.
½ February 10, 2017
Neat and tidy indie with happy endings and all that shite. It's got a good performance from Brie Larson. Also stars the as of yet little known but decent actor John Gallagher Jr.
February 7, 2017
This small indie film was enjoyable to watch, but didn't quite get there in my opinion. I'm glad I saw it, but don't really want or need to see it again. The opening of the film could have been better IMO although it does slowly get better from there onwards.