Short Term 12 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Short Term 12 Reviews

½ June 23, 2017
Rather than trying to beat you over the head with messages, this movie just shows working with neglected youths for exactly what it is.
It is brilliantly acted and the troubled and complicated characters all manage to be somehow likeable.
June 21, 2017
An amazing film. Great acting, stunning visuals, and raw emotion that sucks you in.
April 6, 2017
Great characters, great script, great acting, perfect runtime but the handheld cam gets a bit annoying after some time
March 27, 2017
This movie is a masterpiece, if you have not seen this film please i beg you, watch this film.
½ March 26, 2017
Without lack of depth or drama, Short Term 12 embraces every hurt with protective love.
½ March 20, 2017
Not an easy film to watch or fully comprehend, but "Short Term 12" is a drama film as eye-opening as it is painful.
½ March 14, 2017
Sometimes the people who can help the most are the ones needing help. Brie Larson is gorgeous & perfect for the role.
March 11, 2017
Short Term 12 is a residential facility for troubled teenagers. The staff include Grace, Mason, Jessica and the new guy, Nate. Grace is the leader of the team and is secretly in a relationship with Mason. Things are going reasonably well until Grace discovers that she is pregnant. At about the same time, a new patient, Jaden, arrives and she stirs up unpleasant memories for Grace...

Very original, engaging and emotional drama. Not the kind of setting you see covered too frequently and it is done in a very sensitive, non-judgemental manner. While initially seeming a dry subject, you get drawn in by the backstories, the interactions and the issues involved.

The plot threatens to go down a predictable, safe and cliched route from time-to-time but then constantly surprises you with its originality and focus.

Great work by Brie Larson as Grace, showing early indications of the form that deservedly won her an Oscar 2-3 years later for Room. Solid work to from John Gallagher Jr (of Newsroom fame) as Mason. Cast also includes Rami Malek, who was later to star in Mr Robot, as Nate.
March 8, 2017
A very emotional story of love, pain, and the things it makes us do in life.
March 1, 2017
Oh my god. I loved this movie so much. It's really sad but has humor sprinkled throughout, and it ends on a happy and hopeful note. LOVED IT!
February 20, 2017
Well acted, sensitive and overall great film
February 14, 2017
I don't understand how this movie was snubbed for a best actress award and even best picture. This is Brie Larson's best performance after before Room. One of the best film of 2013 and hopefully after this movie youth will understand why they should stay out of trouble.
½ February 10, 2017
Neat and tidy indie with happy endings and all that shite. It's got a good performance from Brie Larson. Also stars the as of yet little known but decent actor John Gallagher Jr.
February 7, 2017
This small indie film was enjoyable to watch, but didn't quite get there in my opinion. I'm glad I saw it, but don't really want or need to see it again. The opening of the film could have been better IMO although it does slowly get better from there onwards.
½ February 3, 2017
A touching view into the life of the lead character, Short Term 12 delivers on its attempt to draw in the audience and show the struggles that many youth face.
January 25, 2017
Short Term 12 was a very good but emotional film. I could not get my eyes of the screen it made me cry and also made me smile.
January 25, 2017
This was such an amazing, heartwarming and meaningful film. I just wish it was longer.
½ January 16, 2017
Magnificently acted if not a little slow, ST12 depicts a unique story not told before, with powerful dialogue and heartfelt intentions.

Brie Larson may have received more attention for Room, but ST12 is a far superior film in my eyes and has a handful of scenes that will have any viewer sitting quietly in their chair, their finger hovering over the pause button, in order to try and process what the movie just taught them.
January 10, 2017
Short Term 12 is directed and written by Destin Daniel Cretton, and it stars Brie Larson, John Gallagher Jr., and Kaitlyn Dever in a drama film about what it's like being in a group home for troubled teenagers. This was the first film that I noticed Brie Larson and John Gallagher Jr. as this is a small film, and it's all about the acting here. So for this, they were amazing in this that it's honestly one of their best. The movie does a great job of establishing the characters into human beings that has human problems to deal with, and you feel sorry for a lot of them. The writing by the director is well-written and tight that it understands the drama of the situation and what the children, even the people working there, are going through as Destin Daniel Cretton actually have some experience of working in a facility like that. It feels very realistic, and also very human as people care about each other, even if they don't show it. The pacing is slow, but it still keeps you interested thanks to the acting, the writing, and the likable characters that'll entertain you while also giving a lot of sense of heart.
January 8, 2017
It's a sensitive and powerful story of how everyone can benefit from patience, understanding and kindness. It gives hope that all troubles can be conquered and vanquished with a friendly ear and encouragement.