Short Term 12 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Short Term 12 Reviews

June 20, 2016
Short Term 12 is a depressing and disturbingly realistic drama centered on the supervisors at a group home for troubled teens which gives great insight into this world from the experiences of the writer/director, Destin Daniel Cretton, who himself worked at a similar facility. The film stars a then-unknown, Brie Larson, in a star-making performance that was clear evidence of her great work to come and her stripped-down and damaged portrayal of this character really stuck with me. John Gallagher Jr is also terrific here as a fellow co-worker and long-term boyfriend to Larson's character who seems incapable of making her happy, which drives a majority of the hard-hitting drama in the film. As said, this film is pretty bleak at times due to the frank realism; each troubled youth suffering from their individual nuances, but it's also uplifting seeing how much the staff care about helping people and you leave the film feeling fulfilled emotionally. The story takes some predicable turns (and a few way out of left-field) but overall this is a solid drama that stands out due to the exceptional performances from the two leads and the serious handling of the subject matter is praise-worthy.
½ June 15, 2016
Brie Larson notches another terrific performance while she is surrounded by a great supporting cast and impactful story.
½ June 10, 2016
Short term 12 featured great performances from all the cast. I really enjoyed the contrast between the light and dark parts of humanity. Heart wrenching at times but well worth a watch.
½ June 8, 2016
What am emotional explosion of a film! An insightful look in the minds and situations of troubles humans, who's stories weave into any of our own more intricately than you think.
½ June 5, 2016
Short Term 12 is a revelation. This is the best movie of 2013 that no one has ever talked about. Brie Larson and John Gallagher Jr. are absolute gems. Destin Daniel Cretton is "destined" for great things down the line. I can't wait for what he does next. In conclusion, Short Term 12 is a movie you NEED to see. 10 out of 10.
½ June 4, 2016
I had no idea there were so many up and coming actors in this film, it's no surprise it was amazing!
May 22, 2016
Really emotional, however shot with a smart restraint that leads to pure empathy and not some overwhelming pathos. Great direction and actors. Simply great.
May 3, 2016
Great movie with plenty of mixed emotions. Really opens your eyes.
May 3, 2016
Que filme mais maravilhoso da vida!
May 1, 2016
"Short Term 12" is a powerful story of resiliency and the transformative power of love. This genuine, honest portrayal of troubled teenagers is based on the real life experiences of director Destin Daniel Cretton. Many of the characters and scenarios in the story are based on people that he encountered while working at a group facility. It is a chilling dose of realism that will immediately engage your empathy toward teens that come from bad family situations. Stylistically, the film uses just enough shakey cam to make it feel personal but not so much that it makes you sick. Once it draws you in to its reality, there are a few inevitable tearjerker moments but it is nice to see that every drama does not have to end in the depths of depression. There are even a few moments that will make you laugh! My only issue with the script is the excessive language. I agree that much of the profanity spoken by the teens in the facility is absolutely necessary to create the realism of their mental situations. My issue is with the conversations of the workers. A film like this needs to give the audience a break from the profanity so that we do not become desensitized. By including f-words and s-words in every scene, they become less potent in the most powerful moments of the film. While the film is set up for success with this profound script, it comes together through strong acting from top to bottom. Between Brie Larson's powerhouse performances in this film and in "Room," she has established herself as the next big Hollywood actress. She possesses the ability to harness the raw emotions from deep in her soul and portray them through her characters. The real surprise is 16-year-old Kaitlyn Dever as the passive aggressive character Jayden. Her spectrum of emotions ranges from subtle sarcastic facial expressions to a total mental breakdown. The rap by Marcus (played by Keith Stanfield) is completely heartbreaking. All of the residents of the facility perform beyond their years, and the cast is rounded out by John Gallagher, Jr. as the balance between normal and disturbed. "Short Term 12" is not the most well-known film but it is a must for fans of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," "Girl, Interrupted," and any other drama that creates a realistic portrayal of life in an institution.
April 20, 2016
absolutely amazing movie
½ April 19, 2016
Right off the bat let me just say this, if anyone thinks that Brie Larson's Oscar for Best Actress was some kind of lucky fluke, then they need to go back and check out this movie from earlier in her career. Her performance in Short Term 12 might be even better than Room, and I think John Gallagher Jr. manages to pull off the same high quality acting. Actually all the cast is magnificent and that's impressive particularly because of how young some of these actors were at the time. The film is about life in a short-term housing facility for at-risk teenagers. As the movie progresses we see how the staff and residents manage to form bonds that provide healing and growth. It's a tough film to watch at times because the home situations that some of these people came from is bad (to say the least,) and they are dealing with trauma because of that. But then there are other moments where we see the connections they make with one another and it melts my heart and even made me cry more than once. The story isn't shockingly new or unique, there aren't big twists and turns in the plot, and the characters don't surprise you by acting in ways you wouldn't expect. But there was something so heart-warming, authentic, and special about the story that I loved it from start to finish. I'm so glad I caught it while it's free on Netflix streaming because this is a film that I probably wouldn't have sought out otherwise. I highly recommend you track down Short Term 12, because this is a movie that left me with a big smile on my face, and I hope it will do the same for you.
April 17, 2016
Brie Larson's captivating performance is the highlight of this indie film. It is the norm for a drama to be bleak, especially when telling a tragic story such as this one; But there's definitely room for improvements in Short Term 12. All negatives aside, there's a moral to be told here and it's important.
½ April 17, 2016
A good story made great by Bri Larson's moving performance but the slow pace of events is too much to bear and quickly bores you.
April 16, 2016
Tear-jerkingly beautiful and passionate Brie Larson blows away in her acting
April 13, 2016
An interesting and well-executed plot with excellant performances all around and great characters
½ April 13, 2016
Excellent! Brie Larson is a great actress!
April 13, 2016
I absolutely loved this movie. Great cast and I really felt for the characters. The story was good too. It was also very riveting and moving. I would definitely recommend seeing this movie
½ April 3, 2016
Wonderfully acted by Brie Larson and exceeedingly emotive. You cannot help but care about the troubled teens and their outcome here. This film shows that no matter how it looks on the outside, we are all damaged in some way by our experiences, but, more importantly, it shows that there are people out there who still care.
April 3, 2016
Sheer beauty. Powerful and intense, Short Term 12 wants you to feel something, and it does just that. A must see