Short Term 12 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Short Term 12 Reviews

January 25, 2017
This was such an amazing, heartwarming and meaningful film. I just wish it was longer.
½ January 16, 2017
Magnificently acted if not a little slow, ST12 depicts a unique story not told before, with powerful dialogue and heartfelt intentions.

Brie Larson may have received more attention for Room, but ST12 is a far superior film in my eyes and has a handful of scenes that will have any viewer sitting quietly in their chair, their finger hovering over the pause button, in order to try and process what the movie just taught them.
January 10, 2017
Short Term 12 is directed and written by Destin Daniel Cretton, and it stars Brie Larson, John Gallagher Jr., and Kaitlyn Dever in a drama film about what it's like being in a group home for troubled teenagers. This was the first film that I noticed Brie Larson and John Gallagher Jr. as this is a small film, and it's all about the acting here. So for this, they were amazing in this that it's honestly one of their best. The movie does a great job of establishing the characters into human beings that has human problems to deal with, and you feel sorry for a lot of them. The writing by the director is well-written and tight that it understands the drama of the situation and what the children, even the people working there, are going through as Destin Daniel Cretton actually have some experience of working in a facility like that. It feels very realistic, and also very human as people care about each other, even if they don't show it. The pacing is slow, but it still keeps you interested thanks to the acting, the writing, and the likable characters that'll entertain you while also giving a lot of sense of heart.
January 8, 2017
It's a sensitive and powerful story of how everyone can benefit from patience, understanding and kindness. It gives hope that all troubles can be conquered and vanquished with a friendly ear and encouragement.
January 5, 2017
Hard-hitting, heartwarming and powerfully acted. Short Term 12 is a honest and realistic look into the lives of neglected youths with a star-making performance from the brilliant Brie Larson
½ January 3, 2017
Warm and honest glimpse into the world of social workers along with the "underprivileged" youth the dedicate themselves to. Brie Larson gives her role plenty of depth and John Gallagher Jr. couldn't have been more likable. 4.5/5
January 1, 2017
Oh my goooooooosh. Tons of feels. Inspirational people. Inspirational romance. Inspirational social work. Soooooooooooo good
December 24, 2016
I'd watch Brie Larson in anything, and for me, she's the only reason to watch this kinda depressing film, but she's a damn good reason.
December 15, 2016
Wow that's a rating!
December 13, 2016
Well written characters with a well-paced plot. It's everything an indie film needs to be.
November 24, 2016
Possibly the best movie I've ever seen. Cinema Sins--give this puppy a try. I dare you.
½ November 12, 2016
Wow, what a movie! Near perfection!
November 11, 2016
Writer-director Destin Daniel Cretton handles the sensitive themes with grace and wit, and Brie Larson never fails to impress.
November 11, 2016
If you have not seen this film, you need to. I was blown away by Short Term 12. I was so emotionally into it, my heart was breaking over and over from several characters. Brie Larson, John Gallagher Jr, Kaitlyn Dever, Keith Stanfield and the rest of the cast were so good. I could see this getting a Criterion release down the line. Short Term 12 is phenomenal.
November 5, 2016
Best film of the year so far!!! Reminded me of a combination of "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest", "Sling Blade", "Lars and the Real Girl", with the story telling of Quentin Tarantino!!!
October 28, 2016
This movie is like an anthem for people with messed up childhoods. Everybody is so emotionally and psychologically crippled from past relationships and are by no means expected to have any capability of expressing positive emotion, but they still have so much love to give and they share it like I've never seen. That may sound cheesy, but you'll just have to watch it for yourself!
October 21, 2016
Short Term 12 focuses on a government foster home somewhere in the southern US, it tells a story about several characters problems and how their past has magnified these issues they have, and ultimately overcoming their faults and developing into better people through each other. I absolutely LOVED this film, I'm usually an action movie guy, mostly out of fear of being bored to death, but I will dip my toes into other material. Everything about this film is perfect. The plot is so interesting and grabs you tightly especially in its third act. The actors and actresses were all fantastic, I knew Brie Larson and John Gallagher Jr were going to be fantastic here, it's what I've come to expect. The huge surprise was the actor who played Marcus. Holy. Shit. He absolutely blew me away and was such an interesting character who I really wanted to know more about. The guy didn't talk much and every time the actor made his dialogue somehow the ones I wanted to hear the most. The dialogue was amazing, I really was hanging onto every word said because it all seemed so real and yet otherworldly. The plot was incredibly interesting and it gave a ton of surprises that really worked for me. It gave an array of very intriguing characters that I wanted to know more and more about no mater how much was revealed about them. The ending was extremely satisfying and gave a real sense of everything being alright despite the recent turmoil these people went through. I know it will never happen, but I really want to see something showing these characters a few years or months later, especially the Marcus character, I don't know where I'd rank it in all time performances I've ever seen, but it's definitely a favorite of mine especially since it would've been so easy to make the guy just an angry little shit that would've got annoying after a while, but Keith Stanfield really gave Marcus something extra. Short Term 12 is by far one of the best films I have ever seen, and I would HIGHLY recommend it to everyone
½ October 14, 2016
A moving film, great cinematography, soundtrack and character development.
October 13, 2016
absolutely my favorite movie.
½ September 25, 2016
A film of wry humour, emotional heft and a wealth of introspect, Short Term 12 is not the kind of movie that bowls you over, but the kind that holds you close and draws you slowly but surely into its world and reality. The story of a social worker trying to deal with the problems of others while struggling fervently with her own is presented so humanely that you quickly begin to accept that these are not actors portraying the problems, but real people living them. Brie Larson, in the role that allegedly won her the Oscar-winning lead in Room, is fantastic. She has a permanent look of weariness constantly stuck behind a barrier of optimism and false smiles. What she goes through might be a little cliché, but it's handled sensitively, and Larson's ability to pull us into what she's going through keep it grounded and believable. The child actors are especially good, and inject their parts with enough flair and gravitas that they're not completely outdone by the adults. It may be too slow for many, but I loved it, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a film with relatable characters, moments to remember and questions to contemplate.