Shotgun Stories - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shotgun Stories Reviews

½ October 22, 2014
A slow, thoughtful, and brutally realistic look on a family torn apart by a father's infidelities, and after his death how violence erupts between the two families he started in his life. Michael Shannon, a method actor who is on the verge of typecasting himself as the "psycho" guy in movies, plays the part of a quiet man well. It is not a film for everyone because as said, it is paced almost to a crawl, but the character development and rising action are both well constructed by director Mike Nichols. If you like urban dramas that offer a different slice of life that are not seen in many movies, this is worth a view.
October 17, 2014
I was interested in this because it stars Michael Shannon from Boardwalk Empire. I don't want to spoil the ending so I'll just say I wish all the warmongers of the world would watch this film. On the other hand, they likely would not be as moved as I was by its conclusion.
July 9, 2014
Once again, Nichols delivers a plausible, well directed masterpiece.
½ April 7, 2014
Nichols's beautiful, melancholic, low-energy tone and use of non-professional (and often pretty terrible) actors conflicts with the high stakes, high drama premise such that I found the meandering narrative not very compelling. I love the way it's made and the way it feels, but I didn't find the story or the people in it very interesting.
½ March 28, 2014
It's better than Take Shelter, but not as great as Mud. Shotgun Stories (Jeff Nichols's directorial début) is a smart and mature depiction of a family's blood feud. Michael Shannon delivers a strong leading performance; and although the films not a masterpiece, it's still quality filmmakng in it's own right.
February 2, 2014
A long feud triggered by lack of affection, told through the subtraction of elements. There is no room for the spectacular scenes nor the violent ones. You feel constantly an inner emptiness and a complete lack of expectations. Visually powerful.
December 29, 2013
Deeply rooted in its southern gothic roots, this revenge thriller is one that is amazing to look at. First time director Jeff Nichols creates a deeply personal tale about revenge, and the importance of brotherhood.

A
December 13, 2013
Interesting cinematography and great acting from Michael Shannon, but the story dragged and led you to this event that would quickly turn into a non event.
½ November 25, 2013
Shotgun Stories is another slow burner set in the south from Jeff Nichols that just feels right from the get-go. It's a story about a feud b/w two sets of half brothers and is essentially a family drama that doesn't try to pull the heart strings of the audience or manipulate them even with what could be a tear jerker. It's a tragic tale of vengeance set off by dumb bull shit.

Michael Shannon delivers as does the rest of the cast and having seen Mud and Take Shelter, I can say Jeff Nichols is a refreshing new face in cinema.
½ October 27, 2013
Shotgun Stories boasts some talent in its acting corps as Michael Shannon and crew deliver some powerhouse performances. The films pacing is slow and at times can kind of drag on but that is partly reflective of the society in which it takes place so works in its favor in that regard.
½ October 8, 2013
Jeff Nichols might be a slow pace director but for sure his movies have a great touch
September 27, 2013
A Southern Greek tragedy done with brilliant, subtle direction. Michael Shannon kills it.
½ September 26, 2013
Strong performances from Michael Shannon and cast. Solid debut for Jeff Nichols, certainly a director to look out for. Now that I've seen this and Take Shelter, on to Mud.
½ September 24, 2013
Writer/Director Jeff Nichols' debut feature film shows the roots of his filmmaking talent that really came to life in Take Shelter and Mud as his team of talented collaborators grew. The performances from the cast are what don't quite come to life in Shotgun Stories, probably due to the writing and a young inexperienced cast on a low budget. But there is some solid cinematography and editing that kept the film from completely failing.
September 19, 2013
Excellent, honest, rural noir. Michael Shannon is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.
September 14, 2013
I saw this film on Netflix and really enjoyed this independent film from Jeff Nichols (who also did the fantastic Take Shelter and Mud). Michael Shannon is great in this, as he always is. The plot is very solid for a small independent film and it really kept me intrigued and I really cared for the 3 main brothers. Overall a very solid film and now having seen all three of Jeff Nichols' films, he is definitely one of the better new filmmakers in Hollywood right now and I look forward to see more from him in the future.
August 28, 2013
A slice of modern southern life in a downtrodden town with the added tension of a simmering family feud. You'd think this would add a fascinating layer to the proceedings. It doesn't. The deliberate tone and pace that is set at the beginning remains throughout and this is a fatal flaw in my book. The director achieved an impressive realism but he left out everything else. Without Michael Shannon's performance this movie would just be down right boring.
August 20, 2013
Michael Shannon gives an incredible performance.
½ August 18, 2013
A Redneck shootin' good time. However, the ending seems unresolved, so for that -- 3 1/2 stars.
August 6, 2013
Jeff Nichols proves solid talent in Mud, have yet to see this and Take Shelter.