ShowBusiness: The Road to Broadway - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

ShowBusiness: The Road to Broadway Reviews

½ January 26, 2016
A documentary that looks at competition and dedication.
March 17, 2015
Hmm, interesting... I'm mostly interested in the part about "Wicked", that's one of my favorite musicals ever, and I'm a big fan of Kristin Chenoweth, too. Ok, I just love musicals in general!! Plus I'm interested in the musical theatre/acting career field and am interested to learn about how it actually works in "real life".
May 19, 2012
I LOVE Avenue Q and I'm going to see Wicked soon so I was very interested in 2 of the 4 shows and so I really enjoyed this film. I found the cut-ins with the critics very interesting and almost wish there was more of that. More of everything really...
½ May 5, 2012
very interesting movie about the road to a hit musical. I do wish it would have been more drama heavy with the backstage drama with Taboo and how different the San Francisco Wicked was then the final production
April 10, 2012
LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT
July 26, 2011
Interesting and wonderful. I love this documentary and it shows the formation and road to Broadway on four completely different musicals and is such a great documentary. Highly reccomended for theatre fans. B+
½ May 25, 2011
For any Broadway fan, this documentary was so enlightening to see what goes on behind the curtain.

I never knew Wicked had mixed reviews going from San Fran to NYC. I was also blown away how ironic it was you had John Lahr giving a so-so review on it.

I loved seeing Carol Burnett, Kathleen Turner and Jerry Orbach as audience members of these shows and not the ones performing.

Definitely worth watching this, even to relive the premiere of these shows.
January 10, 2011
I loved this documentary! If you are a fan of any of these musicals this is something to watch. This also really does show the behind the scenes of a Broadway play and what it takes to make it happen.
½ October 18, 2009
Definitely an insider's viewpoint on what it takes to mount a Bway show and what is necessary for it to be a success. Insightful & educational but only for those who truly love musical theater. Who knew about Tonya Pinkins?!?
September 23, 2009
Slightly slow, very surface-level information, but thrilling to see rehearsal footage from some of the biggest shows of the last few years. Watching Jeanine Tesori conduct the Caroline, or Change orchestra is worth the entire documentary. Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx come off as the heroes of the film and their genuine joy at Avenue Q's success is quite moving.
½ September 19, 2009
This was a really good look into the world of Broadway musicals. Some of the transitions were a little weird and sometimes it felt a little rushed,b tu I really liked it.
½ July 2, 2009
pretty cool anyone interested in theater will probably enjoy this
½ June 24, 2009
A very interesting look into an exciting season on Broadway -- and a specific look at four different shows from the earliest rehearsals to the end at the Tony Awards. Any fan of musical theatre will surely dig this documentary.
June 17, 2009
Interesting to see what things are like behind the scenes, but it doesn't give much insight into the process of preparing a musical for the biggest spotlight of all.
May 26, 2009
Cool doc about the life of a Broadway show from conception and writing to opening to awards season. Follows four shows that premiered in 2003 with varying success. Having only seen one of actual shows myself, the coverage of the other three were slightly less interesting, but overall a fascinating look into a world I thought I knew a lot about.
May 26, 2009
Nice, not enough Wicked but nice.
February 14, 2009
i found this so interesting! prob cause it talks so much about broadway and behind the scenes but also cause it is about wicked and has idina menzel in it!
January 2, 2009
This was a very interesting documentary showing some wonderful behind-the-scenes and making-of material primarily for 4 broadway shows dating from 2003 & 2004. If you are a fan of Broadway musicals, it's highly recommended.
December 13, 2008
Very interesting if you're into musicals. Although I felt like they spent too much time talking about the business aspect of Broadway, I would have liked to have seen more of the creative process. It also does require that you have some prior knowledge of the shows, because I've seen Wicked and Avenue Q, and I knew about the drama surrounding Taboo, but I knew nothing about Caroline, or Change, so I was a little lost during those segments. So you almost have to do some readings before this movie.
October 20, 2008
Interesting. I wish they spent more time on Wicked and Ave. Q and less on Taboo and Caroline or Change, though!