Show People - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Show People Reviews

½ September 17, 2016
A delightful silent comedy with my personal weakness: the "behind the scenes" workings of early Hollywood
September 12, 2016
The film is more cute than funny now, but it's a wonderful time capsule of an era right before it was completely over. Marion Davies's performance is superb. It certainly anticipates Lucille Ball's "Lucy" in facial expressions. There's some cool cameo appearances from the likes of Chaplin, Fairbanks, Gilbert, Hart, and Vidor himself too.
July 19, 2014
Interesting film about film at the dawn of talkies that provided the source material for Singing In The Rain. For historians only.
½ November 17, 2013
a marion davies comedy vehicle-guess what? Davies is really funny
July 18, 2013
The satire of the Hollywood done by Hollywood itself, as you do.

Staring Marion Davies who fit comedy like a glove and simply the story of a country girl from Georgia making it big in Hollywood.

Full to the rim of silent star cameo's this film is a little dated & to be honest it's on a leash it really shows Hollywood as 'A-Ok' and due to the times unable to do an honest depiction.
½ January 31, 2013
It\s odd that a movie made in 1928, about movie making, a comedy, and with tons of cameos of stars and directors of the day could have slipped by my radar for so long and not know ANYTHING about it. Yet, this silent little nugget did just that, and what a total pleasure it was to see it. Marion Davies plays a young starlet wanting to get into the movies, and William Haines plays the low-rent-comedy actor she falls in love with. But when fame beacons, she follows it, and soon becomes to big for her britches. It's a truly wonderful and engaging story. I also really really loved the lovely cameos that the stars of the day put in, Chaplin! Fairbanks! Heck, even Marion Davies makes a cameo in her own movie (which is totally hilarious). Simply a must see if you love the movies. I'm still amazed I'd never heard of it until now.
August 19, 2011
"Show People" is one of the classic comedies of the silent era, but for some reason, it's not available on Netflix. What a waste! Peggy Pepper (Davies) is a country girl with dreams of becoming a Hollywood starlet, and she and her father Colonel Pepper (Henderson) make a grand entrance into the biz. Though Peggy hopes to be a dramatic actress, she ends up getting stuck being a slapstick comedienne, something she really doesn't want. She doesn't like it at first, but when she begins a relationship with her co-star Billy Boone (Haines), everything goes better. A few months later however, she gets her wish and becomes a dramatic actress and changes her name to Patricia Pepoire, and that strains what she has with Billy. But sure enough, they get back together. "Show People" is one of the many movies that newspaper tycoon William Randolph Hearst had his mistress Marion Davies star in. Most of them are forgotten today, but this is always the one people talked about. Surely isn't hasn't aged to great (what was thought to be side-splitting in the '20's now seems rom-comish now), but there's something so magnetic about the actors and the plot. They achieve many things that silent movies didn't always grasp, and they make it a sil. mov that is really worth watching. Many of the comedic instances are pretty darn funny, and Davis and Haines pull them off effortlessly, as do the stars that come in for a cameo all the time. "Show People" is a very memorable comedy from the silent era that is very watchable. If I were you, I would cross your fingers that it's playing on TCM.
May 13, 2011
An OK comedy with some pretty startling celebrity cameos.
½ June 12, 2010
Just about one of the best silent films I've ever seen. The only one that beats it out in my head is Torrent. It has a bit of drama, but mostly it just covers the truth of love through comedy. It shows how people are willing to bend everything for what's in their own head and how it's not always the best way to go. See it.
April 17, 2010
Lovely. Very romantic. Cute comedy. Good thing it's silent because I'd probably grow to hate this movie if I actually heard the actors' voices, as I do with real theater people I come in contact with. It's a terrible shame the movie's out of print.
½ March 31, 2010
1928 silent comedy that is a goldmine for those who like to identify famous stars of the silent era. Also of interest for those who want to view Hollywood and its film lots as they looked in those eras. And, if you're an antique camera fan, you'll also get plenty of views of those. And as for the story..... well, it's girl-meets-boy, girl-makes-it-big-in-Hollywood-and-forgets-boy, and boy-wins-back-girl-and-they-both-make-it-in-Hollywood. Although a simple (and ancient) plot, it is an enjoyable film and can be viewed by the whole family.
October 8, 2009
This lightweight romp is one of King Vidor's easiest films to watch, with comedy that stems from the narrative and never feels tacked on. The exaggeration of silent film acting is very suiting for the story of an aspiring actress (the wonderful Marion Davies) who discovers she makes a bigger impact as a comedienne than a serious thespian. Several inside jokes about Vidor's other films are peppered throughout, indicating that the director probably had as much fun making this movie as the cast.
August 21, 2009
Mildly entertaining silent that works best when dealing with how the film industry worked instead of concentrating on the de rigueur love story.
July 23, 2009
great satire of the "hollywood machine" even back in the days of silents.
January 2, 2009
I absolutely love Marion Davies. Very funny movie, one of my favorite movies about the film industry. It ranks up there with Sunset Boulevard and Singin' in the Rain. It has some of my favorite scenes of the whole silent film era.
January 1, 2009
good stuff great cast
½ September 11, 2008
A sweet romantic comedy. I love the cameos (Charlie Chaplin and John Gilbert).
July 29, 2008
Here we go again with the King! Can u imagine a movie where The Great Charles Chaplin is just an extra...
½ July 7, 2008
Wonderful film, funny, absurd, sweet, and some incredible cameos and behind the scenes footage of 1920's MGM. King Vidor can do no wrong.