Showboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Showboy Reviews

½ July 14, 2013
Witty, touching, uncomfortable at times, and always funny. This is a clever and unique story about a person too proud to admit failure and the struggles we all face when life hands us lemons. A great independent film. Certainly worth seeing.
January 23, 2010
Best mockumentary since 'Waiting For Guffman' !
September 3, 2009
Duh! Actually, do those who are living outside the Hollywood/ Vegas circle really care? I don't.
August 25, 2009
A quasi-clever hide-and-seek game of reality versus fiction that ultimately reveals itself as not the movie you thought it was going to be when the final credits roll.
½ July 2, 2009
Half a star, because you can't give less it seems. It says a lot that the main humour of the movie was a semi-blind dog crapping on the protagonist's pillow. This was genuinely supposed to be a documentary? Give me a break! Film school end of 1st year project at best. What a waste of time.
½ January 22, 2009
its a clever mockumentary!!!
August 7, 2008
Looked a bit too fake for me.... The beginning seems real... and the more it went... to more bored i was... I ended up not liking the guy at all... not even the producer who was suppose to be someone cool... anyways, big disappointment
½ June 30, 2008
While I think it was pretty clear that this was not a real documentary about 15 minutes into the movie, I still found it pretty entertaining. There were some really funny points in the story (dog crapping on his pillow = classic!). It's funny and interesting -- definitely worth a rental.
June 16, 2008
Genuinely original & endearing! HIGHLY reccomended...
April 28, 2008
A less cheesy male version of "Showgirls" with its raw ambition swapped for gay self-delusion. Sly documentary style.
March 21, 2008
agree to previous comment - one of the best documentaries i've seen.
½ January 5, 2008
Seeing it, I felt nothing. Utterly boring. Highlights so far apart although there were some.
December 6, 2007
Simply awful...I could not get halfway through it
September 23, 2007
This is one the best film/ docs that I have ever seen! So funny and it captures how to live your dreams brilliantly. Nobody has seen this film but it is one of the best I have ever seen. Go HBO!!!!
September 8, 2007
awkward and shy. i don't want to say endearing, but i liked it :)
July 19, 2007
Pffft. Boring. I don't recommend it at all.
May 31, 2007
The main character was so annoying!
May 1, 2007
A young British documentarian, Lindy Heymann, is given the assignment of finding a successful young British subject living in the US and making a career in show-business. She chooses as her subject Christian Taylor, a writer on the HBO series Six Feet Under. Just as she's about to film her final interview with him, she accidentally overhears him get fired by the shows creator, Alan Ball. Christian flees to Las Vegas, and Lindy follows. When she catches up with him, Christian, who does not realise she knows he was fired, claims he is doing research for a new script he is writing - an action thriller set in Vegas. What follows is a brilliantly clever mockumentary, as Lindy pursues Christian (at first reluctantly) as he tries out for auditions as a dancer, in what he claims is part of his research for his script. The boundaries of truth and fiction blur as Christian soon becomes obsessed with the audition process and his research becomes ever more "method". This is a very touching film. Christian Taylor (who really was a writer on Six Feet Under - though everything else is fictitious) is a brilliant presence and seems to have a natural talent; I frequently forgot that this was a mockumentary and not a documentary. The film raises questions about deception, ambition, and identity. It's also quietly heartbreaking - a scene where Christian discloses his awful feeling of loneliness, and another where he has an emotional meltdown in a dance class, are powerful, and the film is presented very realistically and without winking to the audience. A nice surprise to a film I've put off watching for a long time. And I've just read it won Directorial Debut at the British Independent Awards..
½ August 19, 2004
[b]DVD [/b]First Viewing, 1 Heymann & Taylor film seen

The story is simple. It's the execution which makes it unique. Christian Taylor is a writer for "Six Feet Under." While a documentary crew is making a film about him, his boss fires him. Christian doesn't think that the film crew knows, so he pretends to "research" for a script where he must become a dancer - a showboy. [i]Showboy [/i]is done in the form of a mockumentary, but it is nowhere up to par with the films of Christopher Guest. Nowhere as realistic as [i]Spinal Tap[/i] or as funny as [i]Waiting For Guffman[/i].