A Shriek in the Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Shriek in the Night Reviews

September 17, 2015
Not bad for 1930's thriller. I enjoyed Ginger Rogers & Arthur Hoyt's performances the most.
366weirdmovies
½ June 19, 2014
Two reporters continue to investigate a series of murders committed in an apartment building after the police have declared the case closed. Intricate yet uninvolving mystery, for diehard Ginger Rogers fans only.
½ September 19, 2013
A generic mystery with more comedy than thrills. The characters are so-so and the plot is less than interesting. Many slow scenes, with very little going on. The film drags on for too long.
½ August 30, 2013
This was a silly melodramatic mystery film, which I didn't find a good copy of, unfortunately. I thought it was an interesting cast, and there was some comedy in it, but overall not so good.
October 14, 2012
Great black and white from the 30's. That is the only reason I will overlook the sexist attitude running through some of this movie. Pretty good who done it.
jjnxn
August 18, 2012
Programmer junk was one of 10! films Ginger Rogers made in 1933. Strictly bottom of the bill fodder this has a fast pace but zero production values and has to be the film where Ginger looks her absolute worst of screen. Badly photographed she appears chunky with awful hair and slapped on makeup. Putting that aside the story is obvious and the killer easy to spot. Besides Ginger it does provide an early glimpse of the terrific Louise Beavers but this is for completist only.
½ October 3, 2011
A Shriek in the Night offers nothing to care about.
½ March 2, 2011
A wealthy mob associate/philanthropist plumets to his death from a balcony at his penthouse apartment. When it is realized it wasn't an accident, the residents of the apartment building come under suspicion. One under suspicion is actually an undercover newspaper reporter (Ginger Rogers) who acted as the recently deceased's live-in secretary. When another newspaper reporter comes upon the story (due to the undercover reporter's slip-up), the two compete to discover the murderer. Pretty good mystery/comedy (sometimes rather off-colour) worth a view by anyone who enjoys witty 30s banter with a bit of romance. Slow moving at times, seems longer than its 66 mins.
December 2, 2010
Stagy old low budget mystery. An early example of humor (whether unintentional or intentional) being combined with suspense in a cheap flick involving a serial killer. Ginger Rogers and Lyle Talbot are the competitive reporters/sleuths who flirt throughout. The straight cop bumbles through, not as incompetent as some B-movie gumshoe caricatures I've seen, but the romantic leads and detective do only get in each others way. The secret of who the murderer is is revealed to the audience earlier than I would have like, so I didn't find it very absorbing. Instead it caused drowsiness.
November 23, 2010
Another murder mystery listed as a horror film. It is just a murder mystery, but an enjoyable one. The parlaying between two rival newspaper reporters makes the film.
½ October 9, 2010
a tough one to focus on
January 28, 2010
½ October 29, 2009
More of a mystery movie than a horror film, this one wasn't too bad, with some good scenes.

But not enough to make it a lasting classic, though.
½ October 23, 2009
Aged Mystery Thriller with it's moments!!
September 10, 2009
Another non Horror Movie in my classic Horror Movie collection. This is another Who-dun-it movie. As in Who-dun put this movie in a Horror Movie collection. Hint... it wasn't the stereotypically exploited Black character or the demeaned helpless woman. Oh the 1930's... how times have changed.

But seriously it wasn't that bad.
½ December 4, 2008
It's simply done, but there's really an excellent atmosphere throughout most of the film. Hoyt and Rogers make a great team.
½ September 29, 2008
Creaky old mystery with some good scenes.
August 17, 2008
it's a murder mystery, basically. it's nothing special, though. someone is suspected of murder....then the body count slowly rises until the lame end saves us from boredom. it's not awful...but it's not good, either.