Shrieker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shrieker Reviews

April 11, 2012
I really want to c it but it don't allow me to
January 14, 2012
Full Moon managed to sneak out somewhat of a hidden gem with "Shrieker". A definite recommendation for those who enjoyed demonic/monster-type horror films such as The Unnameable, Curse of the Demon/Night of the Demon, and/or The Incubus. Low on actual gore (of course I cannot recall a Full Moon feature that was anything much of a gore-fest and this movie definitely does SCREAM Full Moon style! tho i think it is one of the better FM releases) but I thought this movie delivered well on suspense, mystery and even mentions to squeeze in some large, almost gothic-like, large castle-esque atmosphere even tho it takes place in an abandoned hospital during modern times! Pretty cool.
½ May 12, 2011
A nice creature feature with a memorable monster. Two and a half stars.
½ August 1, 2010
Shrieker is a title from Full Moon Entertainment that I had heard about back when it was originally released, but I never actually got around to watching. Like I mentioned in my review for Murdercycle, I picked up a few titles during Full Moon's last sale and Shrieker was one of those titles. While its director David DeCotaeu's style can be less than desirable at times, he has been behind the camera for some of Full Moon's best movies. Shrieker isn't as bad as some of DeCotaeu's worst efforts for this studio, but it fails to showcase the director's stronger abilities.

The film is about a couple of college students who are squatting in an abandoned hospital. New to the crowd is Clark (Tanya Dempsey), a mathematics student looking for cheap housing since college proved to be on the expensive side. As soon as she shows up a lot of mysterious occurrences start up; strange ancient symbols appear on the walls and floors of the building, scary sounds throughout the hallways of the hospital and eventually people turning up either missing or dead.

Shrieker actually has a rather strong flow to it, and I thought it built up a nice mystery along the way. Most of the characters aren't interesting, and I'm sure that most of the males in the film were selected because of DeCotaeu's love of muscular male skin in his films. But the film manages to make their predicament rather thrilling, and I liked the Scooby-Doo-like detective structure that the film contained. All of this seemed to be building up to a rather exciting finale.

But the ending is where Shrieker lost me. It's amazing how the last 10 or 15 minutes of a film can break a film. The monster of the film was decently designed, but the film didn't develop it that well. I'm still not fully sure what exactly this creature is, or what its purpose was. The reveal at the end onto why this creature is stalking the hallways of this hospital wasn't that strong, and a major letdown considering the momentous build up. And the showdown between the final survivors and the monster was just pathetic.

What a disappointment that Shrieker ended the way it does. There is a pretty good movie in there, but it appeared as if Full Moon ran out of ideas at the end of this one. Shrieker had the potential to become one of the best and most interesting films from Full Moon. But all that potential went to waste when the film closed itself out like some standard b-grade monster flick. You don't put that that much attention on the first 2/3rds of a film and close it out lazily like this one does.
½ November 26, 2009
I used to watch this movie when I was a bit shocked. This movies was one of the movies that brought me to liking scary movies.
February 17, 2009
Passable. The monster is great but the film tries too hard to be post modern like Scream.
September 24, 2008
College students squatting in a hospital that's been abandoned for over 50 years come under attack when one among them summons an extra-dimensional horror known as the Shrieker. Five must die so it's summoner can control it. Will mathmatics Freshman Clark (Dempsey) learn the secrets of the Shrieker in time to save herself and her "roommates"?

"Shrieker" is a straight-forward monster film with a "Ten Little Indians"-style who-dunnit element thrown in. It's so straight-forward that it almost feels like an outline of a movie instead of a full-fledged one. It's short on character development, short on logic, and short on suspense, because there's not enough time to include that sort of materal in its very brief running time of just over an hour.

The fact that it's so short is probably the best thing I can say about "Shrieker". The director had enough sense not to pad his film with a bunch of pointless "mood shots" or never-ending establishing shots. Although I probably wouldn't have been too annoyed if there had been a little gratioutous nudity to pad the film, particularly since Alison Cuffe and Jenya Layno at one point both wear outfits that could have been even skimpier. :)

In that vein, I'll mention that "Shrieker" features a cast that seems to have been cast more for their good looks than their acting abilities, but with the breakneck pace at which the film unfolds, there's barely time to notice anything about the cast other than their good looks. (Everyone gives an adequate performance for a low-budget, direct-to-DVD film... no one embarrasses themselves but no one does a remarkable job, either.)

"Shrieker" isn't the worst film in the Full Moon catalogue, but it's far from the best. But it is a film you can safely ignore, even if you're the biggest Full Moon fan on planet Earth.

Shrieker (aka "Shriek")
Starring: Tanya Dempsey, Jamie Gannon, Parry Shen, Roger Crowe, Alison Cuffe and Jenya Lano
Director: David DeCotaeu
July 16, 2007
Another Full Moon picture. This one is fun and campy ! A bunch of college students squatting in an abandoned hospital get killed one be one by a monster from another dimension. Great gore !
½ June 15, 2007
I usually don't like Full Moon productions, but I did like this movie.
September 26, 2005