Shut Up and Play the Hits - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shut Up and Play the Hits Reviews

February 11, 2016
I was always kind of vaguely aware of LCD. I think this is actually one of the best concert videos that I have seen. The sound quality is unbelievable and it turns out that I am into them. One of the few documentaries that makes a nice background soundtrack.
½ December 5, 2015
Shut Up and Play the Hits is a "rockumentary" of the hit alternative dance band known as LCD Soundsystem. The film follows the before, during, and after of the band's final performance at Madison Square Gardens and how frontman James Murphy contemplates his decisions. To start off, you don't have to be a fan of this band to enjoy or follow this movie. It'll probably be more fun to watch if you do know the band however, and I thoroughly enjoyed Shut Up and Play the Hits. I'm a big fan of LCD Soundsystem, but I'm not going gaga over it simply because I like the band, it's just a really good rockumentary. The timeline of events and how Murphy reacts through it all is beautifully directed, as well as the concert scenes. You wonder at the very beginning why are they quitting the band after so much success but then as the story progresses, you start to understand why and then he gained my full respect. He wants to quit so he can live a normal life and start a family while also making an impact on the ever growing music industry. He didn't want to overstay his welcome or create a record no one liked, he just wanted to feel significant but felt insignificant the entire film. There's some heartbreaking scenes in the film that feel real. When Murphy starts tearing up in the old studio, I sympathized with him because it's hard to say goodbye to people you've gotten to know very well over the past years and the career you had. The interview throughout the entire runtime was flawless and thought provoking. The interviewer asked questions that really made you think as well as James Murphy's responses. That's how you feel convinced in the end, is through the interview which was one of the best factors of the film. My only complaint is that I would've like more concert time because there was a ton more footage that wasn't shown. I would've loved this even more if it was a concert film with the interview. Shut Up and Play the Hits is a fantastic documentary and analyzation of LCD Soundsystem through their tough times they went through on their last tour. It's an emotional ride with a really likable band and lead character. A-
July 4, 2015
The greatest house band of all time bids farewell to us and it's one hell of an awesome farewell.
November 24, 2014
A great concert documentary, but an even better investigation into hipster culture and what it means to be an artist in the minds of some.
September 20, 2014
A fab doc about the greatest 'band' of the modern age.
July 25, 2014
This is a pretty solid "music" documentary.The energy, emotion, and passion seen in the fans and in the mess of the arena just scratches at the dynamic of this final show, a show that we will get to see much of.
January 27, 2014
wow.....stunning.....brilliant......i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.......i think that the director of this musical/performing arts/documentary movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie...... think that this is quite a sad movie 2 watch.......its got a great soundtrack throughout this movie........i think that this is quite a funny documentary movie 2 watch.......its got a great cast throguhout this movie.....i think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch......the soundtrack is::

Dance Yrself Clean
Someone Great
Losing My Edge
Home
All I Want
Jump Into The Fire (Harry Nillson cover)
New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down[5]

the cameos in this movie were/are::

There are also fleeting glimpses of Aziz Ansari and Donald Glover in the crowd at Madison Square Garden at 1:10:39. Ansari can be seen crowd surfing during "Yeah" at the 1:08:34 mark.

i think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.....i think that this is such an enjoyable documentary movie 2 watch.....its quite funny in some scenes throughout this movie......i think that this is really sad at the end of the movie but its a great movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie....its such an enjoyable movie 2 watch.....
November 26, 2013
A live concert for LCD sound system last performance interwoven with the last 48 hours after concert and interviews . Some of the scenes do get pretentious though like the scene with James shaving and some of the interview questions. If you enjoy LCD sound system you'll enjoy this movie , if not then don't bother unless your getting into them or listing to them for the first time.
September 28, 2013
At times touching, this concert documentary proves too pretentious in the end. I love James Murphy and his playful, self-conscious attention to artifice in his music and work, but it was a bit unbearable how full of himself he often came across in the film. Still, the music is excellent and the live performance was gorgeously shot, so there's still plenty to admire.
½ September 21, 2013
Of course beautiful and lovely but it didn't show their performance of "Home" :(((((
September 17, 2013
A worthy documentary exposing the thoughts and emotions of the last days of a band - plus their music!
½ September 15, 2013
Umm nothing amazing here. I love LCD Sound system but thought this was a bit boring tbh. Wasn't very rock n roll. There last ever gig didn't look too special either from what they showed. it past the time on a Sunday morning though :)
September 6, 2013
It's very strange to be exposed to a band for the first time through watching their farewell concert. Well done, all
September 2, 2013
Less a concert doc than a philosophical study of what it means to be a band (I mean, Chuck Klosterman is essentially the freaking narrator). I was surprised at how intimate a lot of the captured moments here are; seeing Murphy cry while looking through his gear for one of the last times was astonishingly moving). Intercutting those scenes within beautifully captured highlights of LCD Soundsystem's last concert ever adds a tremendous amount of weight to what could have easily been a lifeless concert DVD. You don't have to like them (or even know who James Murphy is) in order to get something out of this.
September 2, 2013
A touching viewpoint of a man who wishes to leave on his own terms but also satisfy the fans and friends he has made along the way. LCD Soundsystem's music was always complicated in the fact that the music and lyrics always battled for your heart. You wanted to dance and have a good time, but the lyrics wanted you to reflect and realize the frailty of life. This movie doesn't change that formula, I wanted to dance to the music in the film and hug the band for the years of joy they brought the world. To go out on top is always nice, cheers.
July 28, 2013
LCD Soundsystem Farewell concert & band walking away from fame
July 25, 2013
El antes, durante y despues de la despedida de LCD Soundsystem narrada a modo de concierto documental.
July 14, 2013
can't wait until this gets here!!
June 15, 2013
It would be really funny if someone didn't like this. I'd be like "motherfucker, why the fuck you seein' this shit if you don't... you know what? Get the fuck out of my house."