Shut Up and Play the Hits Reviews

• Jun 03, 2019

A uniquely and special send off for one of the 21st century's most progressive songwriters.

John B Super Reviewer
    Feb 11, 2016

I was always kind of vaguely aware of LCD. I think this is actually one of the best concert videos that I have seen. The sound quality is unbelievable and it turns out that I am into them. One of the few documentaries that makes a nice background soundtrack.

• Dec 05, 2015

Shut Up and Play the Hits is a "rockumentary" of the hit alternative dance band known as LCD Soundsystem. The film follows the before, during, and after of the band's final performance at Madison Square Gardens and how frontman James Murphy contemplates his decisions. To start off, you don't have to be a fan of this band to enjoy or follow this movie. It'll probably be more fun to watch if you do know the band however, and I thoroughly enjoyed Shut Up and Play the Hits. I'm a big fan of LCD Soundsystem, but I'm not going gaga over it simply because I like the band, it's just a really good rockumentary. The timeline of events and how Murphy reacts through it all is beautifully directed, as well as the concert scenes. You wonder at the very beginning why are they quitting the band after so much success but then as the story progresses, you start to understand why and then he gained my full respect. He wants to quit so he can live a normal life and start a family while also making an impact on the ever growing music industry. He didn't want to overstay his welcome or create a record no one liked, he just wanted to feel significant but felt insignificant the entire film. There's some heartbreaking scenes in the film that feel real. When Murphy starts tearing up in the old studio, I sympathized with him because it's hard to say goodbye to people you've gotten to know very well over the past years and the career you had. The interview throughout the entire runtime was flawless and thought provoking. The interviewer asked questions that really made you think as well as James Murphy's responses. That's how you feel convinced in the end, is through the interview which was one of the best factors of the film. My only complaint is that I would've like more concert time because there was a ton more footage that wasn't shown. I would've loved this even more if it was a concert film with the interview. Shut Up and Play the Hits is a fantastic documentary and analyzation of LCD Soundsystem through their tough times they went through on their last tour. It's an emotional ride with a really likable band and lead character. A-

• Jul 04, 2015

The greatest house band of all time bids farewell to us and it's one hell of an awesome farewell.

• Nov 24, 2014

A great concert documentary, but an even better investigation into hipster culture and what it means to be an artist in the minds of some.

• Sep 20, 2014

A fab doc about the greatest 'band' of the modern age.

A fab doc about the greatest 'band' of the modern age.

• Jul 25, 2014

This is a pretty solid "music" documentary.The energy, emotion, and passion seen in the fans and in the mess of the arena just scratches at the dynamic of this final show, a show that we will get to see much of.

• Jul 18, 2014

Excellent farewell to one of my favourite bands Full review: http://samsmediaconsumption.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/shut-up-and-play-hits-and-lcd.html

• Jan 27, 2014

wow.....stunning.....brilliant......i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.......i think that the director of this musical/performing arts/documentary movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie...... think that this is quite a sad movie 2 watch.......its got a great soundtrack throughout this movie........i think that this is quite a funny documentary movie 2 watch.......its got a great cast throguhout this movie.....i think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch......the soundtrack is:: Dance Yrself Clean Drunk Girls I Can Change Time To Get Away Get Innocuous! Daft Punk Is Playing At My House Too Much Love All My Friends Tired 45:33 Part One 45:33 Part Two Sound of Silver (intro) 45:33 Part Four 45:33 Part Five 45:33 Part Six Freak Out/Starry Eyes Us v Them North American Scum Bye Bye Bayou You Wanted A Hit Tribulations Movement Yeah (outro) Someone Great Losing My Edge Home All I Want Jump Into The Fire (Harry Nillson cover) New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down[5] the cameos in this movie were/are:: There are also fleeting glimpses of Aziz Ansari and Donald Glover in the crowd at Madison Square Garden at 1:10:39. Ansari can be seen crowd surfing during "Yeah" at the 1:08:34 mark. i think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.....i think that this is such an enjoyable documentary movie 2 watch.....its quite funny in some scenes throughout this movie......i think that this is really sad at the end of the movie but its a great movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie....its such an enjoyable movie 2 watch.....

• Nov 24, 2013

A live concert for LCD sound system last performance interwoven with the last 48 hours after concert and interviews . Some of the scenes do get pretentious though like the scene with James shaving and some of the interview questions. If you enjoy LCD sound system you'll enjoy this movie , if not then don't bother unless your getting into them or listing to them for the first time.