Shut Up Little Man! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shut Up Little Man! Reviews

½ December 9, 2012
I didn't find the subjects who were being recorded fascinating, but the people who were obsessed with these recordings. Morals really come into play, and that's kinda the real focus.
½ November 29, 2012
Everyone does stupid shit when they are in their young twenties. Eddie Sausage and Mitch Deprey couldn't see the fine line of growing up and moving on. Instead they tried to capitalize on it.
November 18, 2012
I thought this was a cool one. An interesting perspective on how things went 'viral' just before the internet in the early 90's. Aside from that, a hell of an interesting and funny story.
November 17, 2012
Fascinating a must watch.
½ October 31, 2012
Proof that it is ok to use your wits to deal with unwelcome intrusions.
½ October 30, 2012
Amusing but a little disorganized and awfully close to exploitative.
September 29, 2012
A very well done documentary.
September 24, 2012
Fascinating! I don't know where I was when all this was happening :). Raises a lot of thought-provoking questions about art, privacy, decency, copyright, etc. without necessarily taking a stand on any of them. It's tough to be objective, but Bate does a pretty good job. There's a lot of grey area here, and he doesn't try to resolve it.
½ September 7, 2012
It's an interesting slice of life based around one of the most famous pieces of audio verite there is - but the thing I think most people wanted to see (the wacky tapes, and their mega-fans) we instead get a fairly sad story about exploitation of the two worst neighbours in history, and stories of lawyers getting involved, which bleeds the fun out of any situation.
½ July 26, 2012
don't call me darling!
ECF
June 30, 2012
Pretty funny for me but this doc suffers the same problem as the "Winnebago man" documentary. The best part of the doc is the actual footage/audio of the two old men fighting. Everything else was kind of these weird old artsy dudes complaining about not getting a film made. That part I could of lived without. Everything that was actually the two old men fighting was excellent though. "Goodnight" "Don't call me goodnight cocksucker" Awesome stuff. But yeah -- it dragged at the end. Good concept eh execution. Watch for some good laughs during the audio recordings.
½ June 27, 2012
I really liked this documentary...its about these 2 guys that taped their neighbors arguing. Eventually, the tapes made their way around the world and created a phenomenon. Wish there was more footage of the neighbors, as these guys were really disturbing. Its funny and sad at the same time and it makes you wonder how the noisy neighbors ended up the way they did.
½ June 24, 2012
Starts out as a very informative film about audio verite, then into the story of two guys who continue to exploit tapes they made of their neighbours, for profit, almost two decades later.
½ June 24, 2012
Entertaining, even if all the central players are somewhat pathetic.
½ June 12, 2012
Repetitive and padded to an extraordinary degree, the claims that eavesdropping on two guys' drunken arguments and spreading recordings of same somehow qualifies as art becomes more laughable the longer we follow the egotistical "protagonists" of this documentary.
½ June 9, 2012
Interesting to a point, but it fell very short. Shut Up Little Man started with a lot of promise and I thought they did a job telling the story of how the guys got there and how the recording became "viral", but unfortunately they kept the film about themselves instead of doing research to delve into the lives of the true central characters, Ray and Pete. I would have loved to learn more about where these two men came from and just learn more about who they were as people. Simple research, especially considering that they received government checks, could have given them a berth of information to find out about their family, upbringing and much, much more. I would have loved to see their story matched with the fantastic footage they had of how it influenced so many artists (performance and visual) around the world.
May 31, 2012
Someone remind me why this was made into a movie?
May 8, 2012
Excruciatingly difficult to watch. Self-aggrandizing, condescending, pretentious, mean-spirited, exploitative. I'm talking about Eddie Sausage and Mitchell D., mainly, but those descriptors apply to pretty much everyone involved in the "phenomenon" of Shut Up Little Man!, with the possible exception of Daniel Clowes. Just a lot of bragging and posturing. I want to give these people a titty-twister. All that, and it's not even a good movie. In a nine-minute radio segment, This American Life made this story about as compelling as it can be. An hour-and-a-half-long documentary? No thank you.
½ April 29, 2012
What could be a great documentary turns into a story about two money hungry college students and never truly grasps the other side of what's going on. The influence of the two men who made these recording is great and never portrayed negatively. This documentary falls short because of the sorrow and sympathy you have for the characters that you really aren't sorry for.