The Shuttered Room (Blood Island) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shuttered Room (Blood Island) Reviews

June 25, 2012
A nifty and enjoyable 60's horror--Nasty and unsettling - a classy, atmospheric little number!!
½ March 31, 2012
A very boring pseudo-British giallo is the best way to describe The Shuttered Room. There's nothing particularly special about the film whatsoever except its three main leads: Gig Young, the scrumptuous Carol Lynley and the encapsulating Oliver Reed. I found the score in this one to be particularly annoying, as well. It sounds like a jazz band from Hell brought to Hollywood to do a soundtrack. The story itself isn't all that interesting. If Dario Argento had directed Straw Dogs in England, it might have wound up coming off like this. The movie does get Carol Lynley nearly naked, so it does have that going for it. Gig Young is quite funny with his impersonation of James Bond - running around Judo-chopping the town riff raff and driving around in his fancy car. Other than those things, this one isn't all that remarkable or memorable.
½ October 23, 2011
What the snooze. This awful, boring, cheesy horror flick is supposedly based on a Lovecraft story. Nothing Lovecraft here. Awful dubbing. Bad acting. Just lame.
FilmFanatik
½ September 28, 2011
June 8, 2011
An creepy H.P. Lovecraft adaptation of "The Unnameable." Set in New England, filmed in Ireland, with Oliver Reed, and distinctive music by Basil Kirchin, who scored The Abominable Dr. Phibes.
½ March 7, 2011
scary as f**k Oliver Reed is good
December 11, 2010
This is a very disappointing horror movie, it's not even scary and the ending is predictable from the start. None of the actors are very impressive either. Overall, this movie isn't worth seeing.
October 27, 2010
City slickers come to a remote island community (always a bad move) where the wife is meant to iunherit an old disused mill, a place that the local all warn them away from. Oliver Reed is the brutish leader of the gang of local men who do little except roughhouse around like boys, tormenting the newcomers.

It builds to a suitably creepy boil, then drives it hoe with some decent reveals of the true threat on the island.

Worth a rental, give it a look.
October 17, 2010
Meh. Pretty weak adaptation of the HP Lovecraft story. Oliver Reed breaths some life into the film as one of the nasty locals, in a subplot of the film that seems more out of "Straw Dogs" than Lovecraft.
March 23, 2010
The opening credits are worth the 5 stars in themselves - with stunning cinematography of the Beautiful Carol Lynley & the booming bonkers jazz soundtrack!
Creepy Underatted Horror!
½ November 17, 2009
A major childhood fav that still is creepy today. I had forgotten it was a Lovecraft. Luv Ollie always.
July 25, 2009
This is a very creepy H.P. Lovecraft Story set in New England, but filmed in Hardingham, Norfolk (UK). Ollie Reed and Flora Robson. You may have seen it on TV as a kid. If so it will have left an impression on you.
May 15, 2009
My first sort of horror film I ever saw, I was very young but it has stayed with me ever since!!
½ April 14, 2009
Not bad for its ilk, despite being based on one of the bastardized Lovecraft tales by Derleth. It does supply adequate atmosphere with some great locations, manic paranoia against miscegenation, and anti-rural sentiment in the persona of Oliver Reed as a down-home rapist. However, the protagonist couple are terribly dull, particularly the blank Gig Young. This has less unintentional hilarity than many of the other sixties Lovecraftian adaptations and contains much of what was missed in the `90s but is coming back now.
April 5, 2009
Old time suspense/horror, you have to use your intellect and imagination to enjoy this.
March 31, 2009
Pretty good Thriller, almost entirely because of Oliver Reed who can really pull off being a sleazy jerk.
February 3, 2009
This is a movie I saw on TV as a young teenager and it just intrigued me! To me it was a scary, suspenseful, creepy, mystery and I really liked it! I saw it again just a few years ago and it held true...to me it was still thrilling!
January 13, 2009
watched this last night again after not seeing in a long long time, very moody and atmospheric, could have been used as a portfolio of carol lynley as she was an underrated actress , fun trying to remember just what was in the shuttered room though after all this time.