The Shuttered Room (Blood Island) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shuttered Room (Blood Island) Reviews

December 29, 2008
Good modern day gothic purportedly based on a HP Lovecraft/August Derleth story - making good use of its meagre budget to deliver a few chills and some memorable scenes. Oliver Reed makes a menacing baddie. Great jazz score.
½ December 12, 2008
very disturbing. creepiest/sweetest bird ever
½ November 3, 2008
A good classic and creepy, but could Carol Lynley be anymore annoying?
November 3, 2008
With Carol Lynley, how could you not love it!
November 1, 2008
Decent gothic horror film loosely based on the story by H.P. Lovecraft and August Derleth. Great atmosphere, strange characters, and some tense moments - but the film's glaring flaw is its incredibly slow pace. Carol Lynley gives a fine performance, along with a roster of great character actors - including Oliver Reed at his sleazy best - though Gig Young is a bit stiff as the husband. The wild jazz score makes some strange moments even stranger.
October 6, 2008
Had it's weak moments but overall wasn't an absolutely horrible movie. It claims to be based on a Derleth/Lovecraft story and it does convey a certain degree of mythos-esque horror, however the references disappear at moments, and what's in the shuttered room seems to take a back seat at times. Nevertheless, a good gothic thriller and great Jazz soundtrack, used effectively (mostly). I love that Ford Thunderbird in this movie. Stars Oliver Reed.
August 12, 2008
The only reason I watched this was because my dad saw it as a child and found it very scary. So we watched it together and he like it, but I didn't. There were a couple of creepy moments and it was quite entertaining, but as a film it was horrible. And what was up with the sensual undertone?
July 1, 2008
This is an old film made before I was born!! But I do love it as I love the atmosphere and I'm a huge fan of Oliver Reed. I heard this was filmed in the UK and not New England like it portrays.
½ March 7, 2008
A strong sense of mystery is certainly the best aspect of this Lovecraftian tale of gothic horror. The mystery - what is in the shuttered room - is the driving force of the narrative, but isn't just enough to sustain a 99 min runtime (one mystery element can only carry a picture so far). The performances are adequate (especially by Reed) and the locations do add a creepy atmosphere, but the film suffers from workmanlike direction, unnecessarily cheesy elements (such as a fight scene of kung-fu-like proportions), a score that is too upbeat to add menace, and a revelation to the mystery that is a real letdown. Still, it is more subtle and demonstrates admirable restraint when compared to most horror films of its ilk, relying more on suspense and mood rather than shocks and gore, and for that I prefer this over other similar works.
March 1, 2008
When i was little this film scared me to death,i have not watched it since incase it does not live up to its memory.
½ January 26, 2008
Saw this on t.v. back in the early 70's. Carol Lynley is always great to watch. The 'monster' in the movi is an insane aunt. But the thrills are there. Worth watching.
½ August 24, 2007
Saw this as a kid and thought it was very spooky
½ June 7, 2007
This freaked me out when I was 6. Used to be shown on BBC1 on Saturday nights - why doesn't the Beeb put this sort of stuff on anymore. This had a spooky atmosphere and the thing behind the door was terrifying - until you saw it.