Siddhartha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Siddhartha Reviews

August 21, 2015
One does need talent to kill a movie which could otherwise be perfect
½ December 8, 2010
A tragedy in comparison to its novel source, the acting was limited, unemotional, and ineffective. The storyline was cut-up, difficult to follow, and put to a bare minimum. I strongly recommend the book for finding Hess' spiritual message and staying away from this movie.
½ April 12, 2010
Very rough and fast, and likely does not do the book justice - still, it has its moments.
½ January 24, 2010
Adapted from the book of the same name, by Hermann Hesse.
January 16, 2010
The life of Buddha, based on Herman Hess's novel.
½ November 8, 2009
Plodding attempt to capture Hermann Hesse's brilliant novel. If you plan to read the book, skip the movie, but if you didn't read it in high school, you probably won't read it now. More's the pity, because Siddhartha's quest for spiritual enlightenment mirrors that of all seekers.

The Siddhartha of the book and movie is NOT Gautama Siddhartha, the Buddha. They merely share the same name, though the title character crosses path with the Buddha and studies with him for a time. But they soon diverge when the younger man sees the flaws in seeking knowledge from others and vows to "listen to no teacher forevermore." Instead, he embarks on his own experiential journey, passing through asceticism, materialism, sexual desire, and the inevitable emptiness that follows all pleasures and pains of mortality.

In the end, Siddhartha returns to the Ganges River, where he is truly enlightened by the ferryman, for whom he apprentices, then replaces on the river. Near the end of his life, Kamala, the courtesan he shared his passions with, comes to the river crossing, following the Buddha, and is there bit by an asp. She dies, but not before bequeathing to Siddhartha a teenaged son he never knew he had. The son rejects Siddhartha and leaves, and for the first time Siddhartha knows loss, which is the root of all pain, according to the eight-fold path.

From this nadir of existence, Siddhartha eventually recovers, and finally meets his childhood friend Govinda, who has been a follower of the Buddha, but now comes to Siddhartha for further englightenment. "Look to the river," said Siddhartha. "Everything changes, but everything returns as well."

This abandonment of desire in the understanding of the cyclical nature of life is the ultimate truth of Buddhism, and Siddhartha finds release from the cares of the world as he recognizes that only in wanting nothing can one be truly free.

Sven Nykvist, Bergman's famous cinematographer, paints each scene in loving colors and shadow and the water metaphor is continued throughout, somewhat clumsily. The movie races along, in order to include all Siddhartha's stages of life, and so the result is a catalog of yearnings and the disppointment of achievement, but the bigger lesson shines through: we are spiritual beings, seeking knowledge and wisdom. We must not let life interfere with our quest.
September 21, 2009
I loved the book... the movie is ok. Read the book!
December 9, 2008
i'll repeat what i'm sure most others would say about this screenplay... "read the book". that being said, if you can stomach the story having been turned on it's head the messages are there to a degree and the footage in India is UNBELIEVABLE. i take it back i'd see it again to see India.
½ July 13, 2008
good one, but compared to the book, not the slightest chance at ratingsâ?¦ my advise: read the book (any way) then watch (if your really still want to)
June 12, 2008
Apologies to Conrad Rooks, but the ONLY reason his 1972 film, Siddhartha, got a 30th-anniversary rerelease is the appeal of seeing Sven Nykvist's amazing cinematography restored to its full splendor.
½ May 18, 2008
The film based on Herman Hesse's book Siddhartha, about an Indian young man who sets out seeking enlightenment, to learn everything, to be everything. Even though it is very loyal to the book, the film is not as successful in highlighting the experiences and phases in Siddhartha's life, and a lot seems to have been cut out of the film - at 1 hour 22 minutes, that is not very surprising. The scenes from beautiful India are definitely worth it, however.
½ May 15, 2008
Mucho mejor el libro...como siempre.
April 9, 2008
Beautiful scenery. A lonely quest. Hermann Hesse's novel brought to cinema. There was one scene where the main characters were traveling in a band of singing wanderers, and the music was joyful sounding. The rest aside, that was worth watching the whole movie for.
April 6, 2008
I saw this film in a small theater. Most of the audience were stoned. This movie has the left wing over the top bad acting that one could expect from a mid budget film of the time. The locations are good and the film has some good things in it, but overall it is about three steps above the student level.
March 29, 2008
Some movies are obscure for good reason...and this is one of them. Terrible acting, amateur filming, rushed dialogue, truncated scenes, and the overall sense that the cinematic incompetence is diffusing into your own blood stream. The locations were good though and the I really did enjoy the Indian music throughout. Background extras were the best part. I think that's because they were locals.
It's a good thing Siddhartha narrates what's going on with him because not one single character or emotional metamorphosis makes any sense. Things just seem to happen...people react to things...stuff stops happening...and then Shashi Kapoor tells us what he is thinking in the hopes that it might cover the actors' inabilities to convey any feeling and the filmmakers' overall ineptitude.
February 29, 2008
Disappointing adaptation of the classic novel.
February 28, 2008
The book "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse changed my life, so I was pretty much flabbergasted at how horrible an adaptation this was. I wasn't expecting it to be on par with the book, and being as obscure as it was, I wasn't expecting much at all - but even with that in mind, nothing could have prepared me for how bad it was. Not only was it a poor adaptation, but it fails to even meet status as a decent film - the acting was atrocious and the cinematography and editing made the film feel like it was being done by an amateur without a vision. The film hits on the major events in the book, but fails to capture the meaning or spirit behind any of it. Avoid like the plague, but read the book - it's incredible.
February 9, 2008
Looking for the meaning of life - a silent movie shot in wonderful scenes!
January 9, 2008
Fair attempt at bringing the Hesse classic to the screen.
December 26, 2007
The movie felt very disconnected but it did its best to cover most of the best aspects of the book