Side by Side - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Side by Side Reviews

May 21, 2015
On the surface probably not a documentary for the masses as it is a exploration into digital filmmaking narrated by Keanu Reeves, given the opportunity though it is a fascinating thesis on cinematography and the art of film featuring some of the giants of the industry which should entertain people with even the smallest interest in the topic.
½ April 21, 2015
More of an academic exercise than one that is easily accessible to the general public. Sadly the average cinema goer isn't going to care or know the difference between celluloid and digital cinema. A fascinating study of the pros and cons of the continuing battle both camps. Both sides of the argument are presented equally and the documentary does well not to come down on either side.
March 22, 2015
An interesting (especially for filmmakers) and enlightening look on the differences between digital and chemical filmmaking, allowing stances to be made on each one.
March 17, 2015
Inspirational, informative, and the perfect documentary for anyone interested in film and film-making, like myself.
March 13, 2015
Nice overview of the changes in the industry with a lot of talking heads. Probably only of interest to people really into the medium.
March 12, 2015
Best job that Keanu Reeves has ever done, and he's not even acting.
February 14, 2015
A great look at the differences between film and digital, and their impact on the industry.
½ February 11, 2015
Learned so much about the history of cinema, the industry, and how digital cinema is starting to take over the creative process. A great documentary!
½ January 24, 2015
this documentary gives an interesting look at film vs digital video (1 viewing)
½ January 9, 2015
A documentary which made me realise I am much less interested in the creation of films than I am in watching them. 'Side by Side' is quite informative and obtains direct opinions from top directors on the advantages and disadvantages of both conventional (celluloid) filming and digital methods. However, it crucially fails to compensate for the average viewer by sticking to highly technical material, replicating more of a film studies lesson instead of an entertaining behind-the-scenes feature.
December 28, 2014
Saw this on pbs and I liked it. It shows the advancement not in the film but in the recoders and cameras that made them viewable
½ December 21, 2014
brillant documentary.
½ December 9, 2014
Like any good documentary, Side by Side will engage you on a topic you had no idea you cared about.
November 15, 2014
A really insightful and interesting documentary about film and where it's going.
November 7, 2014
Good guy Keanu brings us an important film about how films are filmed and how they'll be filmed in the film industry's future.
November 3, 2014
For the lover of film, this is an incredibly interesting documentary! However, I don't see the average movie watcher much enjoying this. Well done, to the point and very informative!
October 24, 2014
Although I prefer the look of film to digital, this documentary does an excellent job of presenting the reasons why one might want to use digital.
October 22, 2014
It's not going to be for everyone but if you are even slightly interested in the film making process I think you will find it incredibly interesting.
September 7, 2014
Isn't as intriguing as it should be. The only things worth watching about this are the experiences directors have working with this new medium.
September 7, 2014
One of the best documentaries about filmmaking, which addresses the technical and creative issues facing contemporary and future cinema. Every filmmaker and aspiring filmmaker should see this film. It should be shown in film degree programs. The interviews with top directors, cinematographers, and up-and-coming indie filmmakers all contribute to the film's message.