Side Effects (2013)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: A smart, clever thriller with plenty of disquieting twists, Side Effects is yet another assured effort from director Steven Soderbergh.

Side Effects Videos

Side Effects Photos

Movie Info

SIDE EFFECTS is a provocative thriller about Emily and Martin (Rooney Mara and Channing Tatum), a successful New York couple whose world unravels when a new drug prescribed by Emily's psychiatrist (Jude Law) - intended to treat anxiety - has unexpected side effects. (c) Official FB
Rating:
R (for sexuality, nudity, violence and language)
Genre:

as NYPD Detective
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for Side Effects

Critic Reviews for Side Effects

All Critics (201) | Top Critics (52)

It's difficult to escape the impression that the movie is impressed only with its cleverness.

Full Review… | January 3, 2014
Grantland
Top Critic

Once Side Effects gets into its crime story, medication is swept aside by movie nonsense. The storyline goes into tangles that have to be dealt with very rapidly if the audience is not to start laughing.

Full Review… | June 13, 2013
The New Republic
Top Critic

As a thriller in the Hitchcock mould, 'Side Effects' is great fun: its characters are well acted without being entirely likeable, which makes their jeopardy all the more enjoyable while putting us at a clinical remove.

Full Review… | March 5, 2013
Time Out
Top Critic

Soderbergh is less interested in making statements than he is in skillfully fulfilling genre expectations.

Full Review… | March 1, 2013
The Atlantic
Top Critic

A crafty teaser that presents itself as one kind of film before gradually evolving into another kind altogether. I, for one, enjoyed both enormously.

Full Review… | February 11, 2013
The Atlantic
Top Critic

Steven Soderbergh is one of our best and most versatile directors.

Full Review… | February 8, 2013
Richard Roeper.com

Audience Reviews for Side Effects

If this is really Soderbergh's last film, at least he departs on a good note with this smart film that moves so expertly from one genre to another - switching protagonists and growing from an intimate drama about depression to a pharmaco-thriller with clever twists.

Carlos Magalhães
Carlos Magalhães

½

Interesting. I didn't expect the twists and turns at all. Not entirely the movie I thought I would be watching, but I liked it. Jude Law is always a put off in a movie, though. I didn't find the past scandal with the ex patient a stretch at all with him, though I get that it probably didn't actually happen. I am not entirely sure it all added up at the end, or was possible, but good movie that I doubt I will rewatch.

Nicki Marie
Nicki Marie

½

A depressed woman finds the drug and psychiatrist who prescribed it may be responsible for her killing her husband. The first part of this film is vintage Soderbergh, social issue drama with compelling characters and well-constructed plot lines. The second part of this film is a milquetoast, predictable thriller that is fun but not all that interesting. Some of the stock that the film built up over the first part of the film is squandered. Rooney Mara's performance is good; she's vulnerable and can be intimidating. Overall, Soderbergh is one of the finest directors working today, but he's a lot better in a film that is all his ilk, not just half his ilk.

Jim Hunter
Jim Hunter

Side Effects Quotes

Discussion Forum

Discuss Side Effects on our Movie forum!

News & Features