Is Rex Reed the worst film critic that has ever lived?

Or just the worst one working today? His review of Side Effects gives away major plot twists and just generally bashes Steven Soderbergh, calling saying "Pretentious and overrated, a large portion of his work forms a personal pantheon on my all-time-worst list," and ending with "Steven Soderbergh keeps giving interviews confessing that he is bored with movies and promising that Side Effects will be his last one. Not a moment too soon, if you ask me."

It reminds me of his review of The Master, where he disparaged the films by Robert Altman, David Lynch, PT Anderson, Wes Anderson, David O. Russel, and Charlie Kaufman as "juvenile and superficial trash" and among the worst films ever made. He seems to despise anything ambitious or original.
John Matrix
02-6-2013 01:01 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

James Mitchell

anders peter

fuck rex reed

Jul 14 - 08:45 PM

Magic Mike

Mulholland Driver

I got sucked in by the amazing acting of Rooney Mara.Such an amazing portrayal of a person struggling with depression.I had no previous knowledge of the films plot or even genre, which is how I prefer it, that I was totally stunned when I began to realise that something was up with this girl and the the ensuing twists and turns in the plot were satisfying for the most part. I could plainly see that the kissing between Mara and CZJ was forced and stilted especially for CZJ. CZJ was really the only one I "caught acting" and that may be because of Mr.Tatum's brief and limited requirements in the film.

Jul 2 - 04:38 AM

Teresa Linton

Teresa Linton

the film was ok. it dragged. and when an aging actress Catherine zeta jones has to reduce herself to an aging lesbian the plot goes nowhere. I would rated a C

Jun 3 - 09:46 PM

Peter Sutherland

Peter Sutherland

Is Porcupine Glenn the worst poster on RT?

May 25 - 12:06 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

No............I think he's right on regarding this film.
Neither the Critic or the audience got this one right.
I fell asleep after Channen got in the belly

Jun 6 - 12:48 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler McClane

Rex Reed is a loathsome creature. SOMEONE KILL HIM WITH FIRE!

May 23 - 02:47 PM

Peyton Evans

Peyton Evans

I love Rex Reed. I agree with him about the pretentious mess called "The Master".

Apr 4 - 06:23 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

Well, there's' Cole Smithey. And Armond White although he's no longer with us.

Mar 29 - 05:27 PM

Michael Hall

Michael Hall

I don't agree with the spoilers but it is not as good as a movie thriller should be. I have seen many people echoing simultaneously with me that this is an overlong Law and Order episode. Come to think of it though, it could be that the high quality of Law and Order has spoiled us... Anyway, it's no Chinatown.

Mar 23 - 04:44 PM

Joel Simon

Joel Simon

An excellent, well made and well acted genre film. Rex Reed remains as shallow as ever in his assessment.

Mar 13 - 07:29 AM

Sandra Gandsman

Sandra Gandsman

Soderbergh says this is his last fim. He disparages the way Hollywood makes films. And so in a final last laugh,he gives us everything Hollywood does, a good old fashioned Hollywood 'film noir" thriller. And it works. But alas, it will survivein the movie annals as a "fatal attraction" There is no social commentary here, no attack on the Pharma or mental health hacks...so his swan song is pure Hollywood. The joke's on us, if we wnated more. And hopefully,he is telling the truth when he says this is his last....

Mar 11 - 08:16 AM

????? ???????

????? ???????

I don't know the guy (old dude), however, your approach is far away from humanity. How blatantly can you talk about his dead.

Feb 28 - 07:17 PM

Greta Mang

Greta Mang

Rex Reed is the worst. I thought the guy had died years ago, until I read his nasty reviews of Jennifer Lawrence. He was always arrogant and so self important. Can't stand the guy.

Feb 24 - 09:21 PM

Rick Beck

Rick Beck

Movies about retards, idiots, morons (especially those individuals who are otherwise healthy), my 3 word reviews: "I hate 'em!" 2 word reviews: "Stay Away!" I do not understand the appeal of any of these movies like Sling Blade, Sean Penn's take on his movie?, "Box of Chocolates" movie?

Feb 24 - 04:11 PM

Rick Beck

Rick Beck

Lest I say Play Book and Side Effects movies ? Poor Chris Tucker had to be embarressed after something like that! Whew, hm, hm, hm. Is this the reason why: At first glance these ?what-if ? scenarios might sound a trifle silly, but that's part of the inherent charm and fantasy in a world where gas costs a hundred dollars a gallon - etc. Besides, who wouldn't like to be able to influence their current reality in a positive way? Mars Paradisio take on the year 2033.

Feb 24 - 04:19 PM

Rick Beck

Rick Beck

typos got me

Feb 24 - 04:20 PM

Porcupine Glenn

Porcupine Glenn

Now that I've seen "Side Effects", it turns out Rex Reed was 100 percent spot on about it. It's a mess. And a total waste of time. Good material ruined by a self-indulgent director incapable of taking a much-needed knife to the reel and editing this thing down to something that won't put you to sleep. Really, just a terrible waste of a good story.

Feb 24 - 01:48 PM

Peter Sutherland

Peter Sutherland

Thank God you're not a film critic.

Folks do not and I repeat do not listen to a word this moron has written

You are so fucking wrong.

May 25 - 12:00 AM

Rob Cotton

Rob Cotton

Absolutely. He is a buffoon.

Feb 12 - 04:46 PM

Babadook Nyland

Babadook Nyland

lol I said the same thing.

Feb 13 - 07:42 AM

Porcupine Glenn

Porcupine Glenn

Rex Reed is a brilliant man and I've always enjoy his reviews. The fact people hate him this much, he must be doing something right.

Feb 11 - 11:32 PM

Rich Gehring Jr.

Rich Gehring Jr.

Everyone hates Matthew Preston and he hasn't done anything right. Rex Reed is not brilliant. The most annoying thing about his reviews is that he consistently gives away the story, that in itself makes them terrible.

Feb 13 - 05:31 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

insulting the audience is brilliant?

Feb 14 - 02:34 PM

Greta Mang

Greta Mang

Porcupine needs to look up the definition of "brilliant." That is not a word I would use to describe Rex Reed. "Pinched" of "Uptight" or "Arrogant" or "Old Dude" might be a better description.

Feb 24 - 09:26 PM

Peter Sutherland

Peter Sutherland

Everyone hated Hitler and Pol Pot. Mong.

May 25 - 12:04 AM

Dayna Sinopoli

Dayna Sinopoli

except The Master was juvenile and superficial and that was the when it was good.

Feb 11 - 04:21 PM

John Matrix

John Matrix

And what does that have to do with him randomly trashing flicks by Altman, Lynch, Wes Anderson, David O. Russel, and Charlie Kaufman in that review?

Feb 11 - 08:33 PM

Dataman325

Jerry Levine

Actually I find him very useful. Every movie he pans immediately goes on my must see list.

Feb 9 - 04:10 PM

Brian Flatt

Brian Flatt

Yes, he's the worst critic I have read. I no longer give credence to or even read his capsules on RT. Think of him as a nonentity. That's the only way to treat anyone in the public eye who deserves to shrivel and blow away.

Feb 9 - 11:50 AM

Wayne Francis

Wayne Francis

He sucks, especially for even mentioning a "twist" in the first place. Film critics who refer to a twist ending or any sort of surprise ruin the film, and Rotten Tomatoes should not allow the reviews to even appear on the site.

Feb 8 - 06:37 PM

Philip DiMenna

Philip DiMenna

He's still alive?

Feb 8 - 07:31 AM

Greta Mang

Greta Mang

Ha! That's what I asked! He must be like 97 years old.

Feb 24 - 09:22 PM

Matthew Gurry

Matthew Gurry

If not the outright worst, he at very least shares the crown with Armond White.

Feb 8 - 07:10 AM

Babadook Nyland

Babadook Nyland

Yeah, I don't know how Rex Reed has work. He's a buffoon.

Feb 8 - 07:05 AM

Greta Mang

Greta Mang

An absolute buffoon!

Feb 24 - 09:23 PM

Robert B.

Robert Bush

What a useless blowhard- I have not been able to rely on him for 40 years other than to be consistently wrong.
Some times spectacularly so. He's always been mean spirited, culturally siloed, myopicly narrow, and a
pretentious waste of space. This description should delight him as he could have written it himself. How he's managed to make a living at writing his drivel is a testament to a peculiar self loathing huckster hype of unwarranted snobbery in the smallest, bitterest corner of the most pinched portion of the American psyche.
It's as if as a child he was told the definition of the word critic and understood it to be spewer of sewage and
he took it to heart.

Feb 8 - 06:08 AM

elchubbo99

Steve Wright

Read his Review of IDENTITY THIEF where he calls Melissa Mccarthy an "OBESE HIPPO"...What a piece of garbage he is!

Feb 7 - 09:31 PM

Greta Mang

Greta Mang

Total piece of garbage. He has always been so affected and full of himself. If you don't like a movie, then fine. No need to get so personal about weight and such.

Feb 24 - 09:24 PM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

This is a gigantic hyperbole?

Feb 7 - 05:38 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Rex Reed does suck though

Feb 7 - 07:01 PM

Bill Shannon

Bill Shannon

Meh, his reviews are offensive and some don't make much sense. If he's not the worst, then he's close to it.

Feb 7 - 10:10 PM

Greta Mang

Greta Mang

Agreed!

Brett R.

Brett Robison

He espouses some of the most hyperbolic, overstated shit spew I've heard from any journalist, critic or professional writer.

He's not a critic, rather, he's just a professional stick that stirs the turd, constantly trying to get people like you and I to read his fluff and react to it harshly.

The same thing goes for Smithey. He is an anti-critic spawn, too--a Turd Stir Jr.

Feb 7 - 07:25 AM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

Armond still claims the honor of being the worst film critic working today. However, Rex Reed is slowly climbing up the ladder soon to join Armond White if he keeps this up. Same goes for Cole Smithey. They're like a family pretty much, as someone put it, Cole Smithey is the demon offspring of Rex Reed and Armond White.

Feb 7 - 04:38 AM

Nick Judt

Nick Judt

Pretty much. And it's a pity, too. He was quite good until he became bitter and resentful of cinematic progression.

Feb 6 - 06:15 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

"cinematic progression".............?
Is that what you call it? Then Rex Reed is RIGHT ON.

Jun 6 - 12:58 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

the guy sounds like a professional troll.

Feb 6 - 06:02 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

how did you crawl out of the crib?

Jun 6 - 12:58 PM

Gary Devenport

Gary Devenport

Don't worry, he's old and will be dead soon. =)

Feb 6 - 04:35 PM

Greta Mang

Greta Mang

I laughed out loud when I read your post!

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

doesn't take much to make you laugh.............and even less to amuse you

Jun 6 - 12:59 PM

Peyton Evans

Peyton Evans

you guys are mean. we'll all be dead soon.

Apr 4 - 06:26 AM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile