Side Effects - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Side Effects Reviews

½ September 9, 2016
A promising beginning of a storyline that is highjacked by stereotypical nonsense.
½ August 28, 2016
Soderbergh makes movies - and they are real.
½ August 25, 2016
There are drugs that cause homocidal sleep walking in some patients. And, there are insider trading investment technics for profiteering off any success or failure.
½ August 13, 2016
Interesting, makes you think a little. Decent story.
½ August 7, 2016
Very clever. Great movie!
July 28, 2016
Director, cast, subject...sounds promising. Count me in!
July 25, 2016
Horrible. Lacking subtlety. Tension takes a very long time to build up.
July 22, 2016
****
Side Effects is a good show from director Steven Soderbergh, with good performances and beautiful direction to distract the audience from the films many plot holes.
July 22, 2016
Good concept not handled particularly well. A lot of opportunity for tension that was never taken advantage of. Roony Mara is a good actress though.
½ July 3, 2016
It doesn't hit quite as hard as it should, but the smart, unpredictable "Side Effects" remains an confident thriller, and benefits from fine performances from Jude Law and Rooney Mara.
July 1, 2016
It doesn't insult it's audience's intelligence ...
June 19, 2016
A slow burn thriller that actually caught me off guard...I'm sure it helped that I went into it having never even seen a preview of it as previews any more seem to give so much of the movie away.
June 9, 2016
I have mixed feeling about this. I really do not like the cinematography from the very beginning. The pace is very slow....I fell asleep in the middle (and I never fall asleep in a movie!!). But the ending. Oh the ending saved my opinion about this movie. Definitely caught me off guard. Surprising ending...very impressed.
June 4, 2016
5/27/16 I enjoyed this a lot. Everything had to fall right into place for the plot to work out, but if you can be a bit forgiving, then it is quite enjoyable. It is a unique plot that keeps you wondering as to how it is going to work out. Worth watching.
June 1, 2016
This was one clever thriller directed by Steven Soderbergh. Sorry I missed it at the theaters.
Antonius Block
May 27, 2016
This movie will sneak up on you. I have to say first, I advise not knowing anything about it before watching it, or as little as possible. In the spirit of that sentiment, I will keep this brief. The movie starts off slowly, with a young woman (Rooney Mara) suffering from depression and seeking medication. Just bear with it. Soderbergh is sly in his pacing and how he unfolds the story, and as questions inevitably turn to her psychiatrist (Jude Law) and precisely what happened after she takes the pills, the film reminds one of a very solid Hitchcock film. Suspense and tension are created in cerebral ways, without a lot of over-the-top action, which is a pleasure to see. Mara and Law help considerably with that as they both turn in good performances, as does Catherine Zeta-Jones, despite her lesser screen time. Very well made, and definitely worth watching.
½ May 16, 2016
Excellent psychological thriller, and I won't say more because I don't want to give anything away.
May 13, 2016
Clever story. Rooney Mara was very impressive.
½ April 30, 2016
This movie feels flat on many levels and the acting of the whole cast is not the best.
April 20, 2016