Side Effects - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Side Effects Reviews

Antonius Block
May 27, 2016
This movie will sneak up on you. I have to say first, I advise not knowing anything about it before watching it, or as little as possible. In the spirit of that sentiment, I will keep this brief. The movie starts off slowly, with a young woman (Rooney Mara) suffering from depression and seeking medication. Just bear with it. Soderbergh is sly in his pacing and how he unfolds the story, and as questions inevitably turn to her psychiatrist (Jude Law) and precisely what happened after she takes the pills, the film reminds one of a very solid Hitchcock film. Suspense and tension are created in cerebral ways, without a lot of over-the-top action, which is a pleasure to see. Mara and Law help considerably with that as they both turn in good performances, as does Catherine Zeta-Jones, despite her lesser screen time. Very well made, and definitely worth watching.
May 26, 2016
There are drugs that cause homocidal sleep walking in some patients. And, there are insider trading investment technics for profiteering off any success or failure.
½ May 9, 2016
Excellent psychological thriller, and I won't say more because I don't want to give anything away.
February 10, 2016
Clever story. Rooney Mara was very impressive.
½ April 30, 2016
This movie feels flat on many levels and the acting of the whole cast is not the best.
July 6, 2013
┬┐SPOILERS? Most plot twists ever
March 17, 2016
Someone gets punished, her or you.

A young woman has suffered from psychological depression issues her entire life. Her current psychologist sets up a meeting with her childhood psychologist to get a feel for some previous practices they worked on together. The young woman's unstable marriage mixed with the side effects of a newly prescribed drug leads to intense behavior. The new psychologist becomes a target of blame for prescribing the drugs.

"I'm sure there is a lot more to it than is on the news."

Steven Soderbergh, director of Ocean's Eleven, Traffic, Ocean's Twelve, Magic Mike, Haywire, Erin Brockovich, Ocean's Thirteen, Full Frontal, and Solaris, delivers Side Effects. The storyline for this picture is very interesting, intricate, and well executed. The cast delivers their characters perfectly and includes Rooney Mara, Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Vladimir Versailles.

"Whoever makes this drug is going to be fucking rich."

I came across this on Netflix and always found the previews for this moderately entertaining. The movie does come well together and I actually liked aspects of it and how it tied into my profession (I'm in the pharmaceutical industry). Overall, this is worth seeing once but isn't worth adding to your DVD collection.

"This will be the last time we speak."

Grade: C+
February 26, 2016
Soderbergh crushes as usual. Rooney Mara is also quite good playing the depressed housewife
½ February 1, 2013
Great movie. The plot draws obvious influence from Fatal Attraction and Primal Fear, but it does so very cleverly, delivering some fine twists, stunning direction from Soderbergh and great performances from its cast, especially Mara and Law.
May 20, 2013
If this is really Soderbergh's last film, at least he departs on a good note with this smart film that moves so expertly from one genre to another - switching protagonists and growing from an intimate drama about depression to a pharmaco-thriller with clever twists.
February 23, 2013
2/13
W/Kel at the row. Decent story, but just ok.
January 6, 2016
Pretty good movie. Lot of fun. Plot has some great twist. Loved it!
February 6, 2013
This movie sucked. The story line was boring. It was slow. I can't even believe this crap was recommended to me.
½ October 30, 2015
A film that is about a woman who is suffering from trying to adjust back to life after her husband was released from prison and depression. Its a slow burning mystery that takes a bit to get rolling. Once it does I was really interested in it. Its shot very well and the writing is great. The ending was a bit predictable but all in all it was a solid Soderbergh film
½ June 30, 2013
Interesting until the very end. A-
½ November 25, 2015
I thought that other movies did better with this idea/content of the main story. Some of the actors might have been miscast. It was okay overall.
½ November 24, 2015
Clever medical thriller that never lets up.
September 19, 2014
A superb film that deals with real life problems with twist and turns that keep you excited an awesome amazing movie that you will remember for the acting and the twists
Grade A+