Side Effects - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Side Effects Reviews

½ December 27, 2016
The movie is bit convoluted but interesting. Though Rooney Mara has been recognized more for other works, I thin this was one of her best.
December 23, 2016
If this is really Soderbergh's last film, at least he departs on a good note with this smart movie that moves so expertly from one genre to another - switching protagonists and growing from an intimate drama about depression to a pharmaco-thriller with clever twists.
December 15, 2016
Reminiscent of an older favourite dealing with a similar premise (I won't name to keep this potentially spoiler-free), this movie both gripped my attention and let me down at the same time. Good, solid performances, dependable cinematography, clever writing, interesting twists and turns and then, right there, in the middle of what could potentially make for a well-polished, wondrous outcome... the serum scene. I won't go into details but that plot hole was so humongous it almost caused me actual, physical pain.

Still, have my three stars, Mr Sodebergh. Just for making a movie that made me tolerate Channing Tatum, you've earned that much.
November 25, 2016
"Side Effects" is a slick, intriguing, and engaging mystery movie. It's not in any way a fast paced thriller as the trailers may lead you to believe. That's not to say the movie isn't good, but you should know what you are getting into, which is a unique and thought provoking murder mystery. I enjoyed this movie and kept trying to figure out how it was going to end. I think the performances were top notch and the movie was directed very well. The score is also noteworthy and gives the movie an eerie feel that gives off the feeling of suspicion. At times, it does feel like not a lot is happening but on the same token it makes the movie more grounded in reality. It's a movie that will keep you guessing unitl the final moments and has a lot to say about the drug industry. It's a sly movie with plenty of surprises up its sleeve and is worth checking out if you enjoy movies that are well made, thought provoking, and suspenseful.
November 18, 2016
A gripping thriller that blurs the line between hero and villain (or doctor and patient for that matter). Mara's character is really hard to root for in the beginning, which makes it impossible to empathize with her, especially when the audience learns she's part of a ploy masterminded by the real villain of the film, Zeta-Jones, who deflects her wrongdoing onto Law's character. That is, until Law gets the slightest ounce of suspicion, it's a thriller that is amusing, if not totally amusing. Law turns the table on Zeta-Jones and Mara while the audience has no idea he's doing so. He's the ultimate strategist as he risks his reputation and makes himself look foolish and radical as he clears his name and exposes his not so sick patient and her money hungry doctor. Tremendous acting and camera work also make for an engaging thriller that does, as mentioned, blur the line between hero and villain.
½ September 28, 2016
Side effect doesn't quite manage to offer sympathetic characters, and when you add up a discontinuos plot, the result can be anything but an engaging experience.
This movie feels flat on many levels and the the whole cast don't offer the performances of their lives.
½ September 23, 2016
A considerably hooking plot with a couple of twists and turns. Side Effects was pretty decent. Not terrific... but decent.

There a couple of things I take issue with. Catherine Zeta Jones' laughably bad performance is one of them. Every word she says, she speaks in this overtly sexual manner, and that's used as a character trait. Rather than make me horny, it irritated the HELL out of me. Why can't she just talk like a normal human being, rather than stretch each of her words out for three seconds each? If I met anyone in real life that slurs out all of their words like a drunk aunt at a wedding, I'd tell them to knock it off.

The other issue I take is the gaping plot hole somewhere in the middle, regarding tap water. Those of you who have seen the film know what I'm talking about. Those that haven't do not continue reading, because there are

!!!!!SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!

If Emily was lying the whole time about murdering her husband and didn't want to reveal the truth, then she would have known that was just tap water-- judging by the very fake answers to Jonathan's questions he asked while "injecting" her. Later on, we know that all of those answers were lies. Why did she act like she was stoned and affected by the truth serum, if she was just going to lie anyway? If she lied while on the fake truth serum, that means she KNEW it was fake. If she knew it was fake, she knew that JONATHAN knew it was fake, too. Why would she incriminate herself by lying about that? Wouldn't she, you know, say "I don't feel anything"? Considering she committed a very heinous crime and doesn't want to make it totally obvious she's a liar? She's trying to convince Jonathan she's telling the truth. If she knew he knew it was fake truth serum while trying to convince him of that, she wouldn't pretend she was stoned, because he would know she's faking it.

That scene was not thought over at all, because it only took me a minute to realize it just would. Not. Work.

That giant plot hole bothered me through the entire movie, and I couldn't get past it. That moment (and Catherine Zeta Jones' stupid sexbot voice) made me knock this film off a star and a half, because both of them were really glaring and annoying.

The rest of the film was pretty great, however. Even the ending alone was worth seeing it; an ending that was extremely satisfying.
September 17, 2016
A Smart thriller that has some cool twists, and social commentary to tie it all together to make one hell of a compelling watch.
½ September 9, 2016
A promising beginning of a storyline that is highjacked by stereotypical nonsense.
½ August 28, 2016
Soderbergh makes movies - and they are real.
½ August 25, 2016
There are drugs that cause homocidal sleep walking in some patients. And, there are insider trading investment technics for profiteering off any success or failure.
½ August 13, 2016
Interesting, makes you think a little. Decent story.
½ August 7, 2016
Very clever. Great movie!
July 28, 2016
Director, cast, subject...sounds promising. Count me in!
July 25, 2016
Horrible. Lacking subtlety. Tension takes a very long time to build up.
July 22, 2016
****
Side Effects is a good show from director Steven Soderbergh, with good performances and beautiful direction to distract the audience from the films many plot holes.
July 22, 2016
Good concept not handled particularly well. A lot of opportunity for tension that was never taken advantage of. Roony Mara is a good actress though.
½ July 3, 2016
It doesn't hit quite as hard as it should, but the smart, unpredictable "Side Effects" remains an confident thriller, and benefits from fine performances from Jude Law and Rooney Mara.
July 1, 2016
It doesn't insult it's audience's intelligence ...
June 19, 2016
A slow burn thriller that actually caught me off guard...I'm sure it helped that I went into it having never even seen a preview of it as previews any more seem to give so much of the movie away.