Side Effects - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Side Effects Reviews

July 1, 2016
It doesn't insult it's audience's intelligence ...
June 19, 2016
A slow burn thriller that actually caught me off guard...I'm sure it helped that I went into it having never even seen a preview of it as previews any more seem to give so much of the movie away.
June 9, 2016
I have mixed feeling about this. I really do not like the cinematography from the very beginning. The pace is very slow....I fell asleep in the middle (and I never fall asleep in a movie!!). But the ending. Oh the ending saved my opinion about this movie. Definitely caught me off guard. Surprising ending...very impressed.
June 4, 2016
5/27/16 I enjoyed this a lot. Everything had to fall right into place for the plot to work out, but if you can be a bit forgiving, then it is quite enjoyable. It is a unique plot that keeps you wondering as to how it is going to work out. Worth watching.
June 1, 2016
This was one clever thriller directed by Steven Soderbergh. Sorry I missed it at the theaters.
Antonius Block
May 27, 2016
This movie will sneak up on you. I have to say first, I advise not knowing anything about it before watching it, or as little as possible. In the spirit of that sentiment, I will keep this brief. The movie starts off slowly, with a young woman (Rooney Mara) suffering from depression and seeking medication. Just bear with it. Soderbergh is sly in his pacing and how he unfolds the story, and as questions inevitably turn to her psychiatrist (Jude Law) and precisely what happened after she takes the pills, the film reminds one of a very solid Hitchcock film. Suspense and tension are created in cerebral ways, without a lot of over-the-top action, which is a pleasure to see. Mara and Law help considerably with that as they both turn in good performances, as does Catherine Zeta-Jones, despite her lesser screen time. Very well made, and definitely worth watching.
½ May 16, 2016
Excellent psychological thriller, and I won't say more because I don't want to give anything away.
May 13, 2016
Clever story. Rooney Mara was very impressive.
½ April 30, 2016
This movie feels flat on many levels and the acting of the whole cast is not the best.
April 20, 2016
┬┐SPOILERS? Most plot twists ever
March 17, 2016
Someone gets punished, her or you.

A young woman has suffered from psychological depression issues her entire life. Her current psychologist sets up a meeting with her childhood psychologist to get a feel for some previous practices they worked on together. The young woman's unstable marriage mixed with the side effects of a newly prescribed drug leads to intense behavior. The new psychologist becomes a target of blame for prescribing the drugs.

"I'm sure there is a lot more to it than is on the news."

Steven Soderbergh, director of Ocean's Eleven, Traffic, Ocean's Twelve, Magic Mike, Haywire, Erin Brockovich, Ocean's Thirteen, Full Frontal, and Solaris, delivers Side Effects. The storyline for this picture is very interesting, intricate, and well executed. The cast delivers their characters perfectly and includes Rooney Mara, Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Vladimir Versailles.

"Whoever makes this drug is going to be fucking rich."

I came across this on Netflix and always found the previews for this moderately entertaining. The movie does come well together and I actually liked aspects of it and how it tied into my profession (I'm in the pharmaceutical industry). Overall, this is worth seeing once but isn't worth adding to your DVD collection.

"This will be the last time we speak."

Grade: C+
February 26, 2016
Soderbergh crushes as usual. Rooney Mara is also quite good playing the depressed housewife
½ February 24, 2016
Great movie. The plot draws obvious influence from Fatal Attraction and Primal Fear, but it does so very cleverly, delivering some fine twists, stunning direction from Soderbergh and great performances from its cast, especially Mara and Law.
January 9, 2016
2/13
W/Kel at the row. Decent story, but just ok.
January 6, 2016
Pretty good movie. Lot of fun. Plot has some great twist. Loved it!
December 28, 2015
This movie sucked. The story line was boring. It was slow. I can't even believe this crap was recommended to me.
½ December 28, 2015
A film that is about a woman who is suffering from trying to adjust back to life after her husband was released from prison and depression. Its a slow burning mystery that takes a bit to get rolling. Once it does I was really interested in it. Its shot very well and the writing is great. The ending was a bit predictable but all in all it was a solid Soderbergh film
½ December 25, 2015
Interesting until the very end. A-