Sideshow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sideshow Reviews

June 6, 2014
Fun, absorbing, atmospheric, weird and gross. The writing, acting, direction, lighting, set design and special effects are all a minor step up from what Full Moon Pictures has unleashed in the past (don't get me wrong, I love their movies), and easily one of my favorite Fred Olen Ray films. The 8% rating doesn't surprise me, however, as this movie is certainly not for everybody. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're already a Full Moon fan, or if you just like to indulge in cheesy, campy and morbidly weird b-movies like myself. Just don't take it too seriously. Be forgiving (hello, boom mike), don't expect terror, jump scares or buckets of blood and guts, and don't expect the film to have that sharp, glossy Hollywood sheen.
½ February 1, 2014
Nothing too spectacular the film is basically like going through a freakshow with plot. Though the plot itself is rather thin and typical, it's an entertaining Full Moon flick with cheesy characters and fun effects.
March 30, 2013
A B-movie horror, with all that entails. Yes, it has bad acting. Yes, the sets are limited. Yes, the story is unoriginal. Yes, the characters are stereotypes. Despite all that, I rather enjoyed it. This is the finest directing I've seen from Fred Olen Ray. The small role for scream queen Brinke Stevens was most welcome. The characters are told their fortunes, and those fortunes become reality. Not scary, but the effects are wonderful for such a low budget movie.
½ October 15, 2012
Cheesy as all hell. Good fun. Some great creature effects. Check your brain at the door, obviously. If you like Are You Afraid of the Dark or Tales from the Crypt type stuff, you'll like this.
April 17, 2010
Another entertaining feature from Full Moon.
January 20, 2010
In Sideshow, five moronic youths attend the local carnival where some of them torment and hassle the carnies, including the creepy Dr. Graves (famous little person Phil Fondacaro), who runs the freak show that displays freaks like Bug Boy, Inside Out Woman, Digestina, and several others they think are fake, but are actually very real and sinister to the kids, who get what's coming to them one by one. As each are turned into freaks, we witness a bevy of bad acting, save for some of the veterans, like Fondacaro, Ross Hagen (The Phantom Empire), Brinke Stevens (Nightmare Sisters), and Peter Spellos (Slumber Party Massacre II), who manage to spice this silly film up a bit. No surprise, this is a Fred Olen Ray picture, who was asked to do this film by the Full Moon folks thanks to his many years of Carny experience...again, no surprise. Bad acting aside, we are still graced with the aforementioned notable genre icons, as well as some pretty fun-to-watch Gabe Bartalos (Brain Damage, Basket Case 1-3) special effects work. That alone was worth the rental of the film. The film also sports of a couple of nice titty shots, and some unintentional comedy that somehow made the film slightly more enjoyably. With Sideshow, I can only hope those renting it aren't complete fucktards and understand what they are getting themselves into. Fred Olen Ray pictures are not meant to stimulate the mind. In fact, they dumb down the mind incredibly, BUT, if you have a thirst for corny, low-budget Full Moon movies, then this one manages to minimally delight that thirst. There are much worse Ray AND Full Moon films out there after all.
½ December 13, 2009
This one was weird in that when you start watching it you will most likely finish it. It is one I always look for at the video store but rarely find.
September 17, 2009
This one of the better Full Moon Movies I've seen. It's no Puppet Master III, but really what is?
September 2, 2009
Another entertaining feature from Full Moon.
April 4, 2009
Don't waste your time. seriously. Don't. this flick is a little gross. but not a very good movie.
May 21, 2008
Low budget 'Freaks' derivative, fairly typical of Fred Olen Ray's oeuvre, with an aesthetic that is firmly rooted in the 1980s (despite being made in 2000.) Not unwatchable, but no better than a mediocre episode of Tales From The Crypt.