The Signal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Signal Reviews

October 21, 2013
Finally got to watch this! Thought it was pretty great....the first segment is easily the strongest but the second is pretty funny and the last tense. I thought it came together well :)
½ October 20, 2013
A wild ride from start to finish! I realize the movie has its flaws, but it's refreshingly original, and masterfully edited with loopy plot elements (literally and figuratively) working extremely well. Kudos to first-time directors for pulling off such a feat.
October 19, 2013
It jumps from funny to freaky and messes with you mind, in a good way.
July 8, 2013
A delightful surprise. I've been scrummaging through all the crappy Netflix B movies in search of some form of entertainment when I stumbled across this gem. I was on the edge of my seat from beginning till the end. The story was awesome. The acting superb. The ratings on Netflix and Flixter don't do this movie justice.
June 17, 2013
A very 'used' situation, but with a enough new energy to make this worth watching. The second transmission was just great!
May 28, 2013
the over gave me a different vibe than the movie actually presented but it weas still pretty good. it was basically the crazies except done a lot better than either attempt/
May 21, 2013
Kinda reminded me of a cheaper 28 Days Later/The Crazies. It starts out really promising, then it's as if the director gives up as the longer the movie goes, the slower it gets which ended up being boring. Flip side for gorehounds is it's filled with cruelty and senseless ultra-violence.
½ May 9, 2013
This film is great fun for any fans of indie horror. Filmed in three segments by three different directors, a signal sent out by electronic devices drives the world insane. Sometimes bizarre, sometimes (intentionally) hilarious. Check it out.
April 16, 2013
Highly underrated Horror that really deserves far more credit. Three directors, three perspectives, three styles all around one very interesting story of a rouge signal transmitted via all technological devices that turns people into killers. The three very contrasting stories follow the same characters and main story line but are quite different in style but ultimately very complimentary. They all combine to make this a very underrated Indie Horror. Like horror? Love this.
February 2, 2013
There's no reason to watch this. No reason at all. The opening few minutes about a transmission that scrambles people's minds when viewed or heard is interesting on the surface but that's it. There's nothing else here to make this worth your time. Floss your teeth, read a book, file your taxes...anything. Just don't bother with this.

After a curious first few minutes, the whole movie descends into a depressing mess of gore and mindless stupidity. The characters are all catatonic and extremely violent. No relationships are established that may help to resolve the mystery signal that's turned everyone into brutal killers. It's all brutality for the sake of being brutal, gory with a goal of making everyone and everything as bloody as possible.

There's nothing redeeming about anything or anyone. It's just extreme cruelty played for sick laughs. Avoid this.
½ December 18, 2012
Not a bad end of the world movie, but I've seen the same concept done much better in other movies. The beginning was pretty cool, but then the middle was kind of "eh" and the ending was so-so.

I have to assume that the middle part was done in a way to try and make the viewer feel the same craziness that the infected people were going through, but it really didn't. It was more like me just sitting there waiting for it to go back to being as cool as the first part. Sadly it did not and it dragged on for what felt like forever, even drinking with friends can't save this one.
½ December 5, 2012
One of the best horror films in recent memory. The middle is a little uneven and the ending is, bleh but the rest is nothing short of great, great, great.
December 1, 2012
A brilliant and visceral horror film that breaks the mold. There aren't many like this gem. Moving, engaging and completely mind blowing all at the same time.
November 12, 2012
The Signal is a movie with a truly ambitious vision that unfortunately ends up being it's downfall. It has a very gruesome and gripping first act, a rather comical second, and a trippy disappointing third. It has elements that, if expanded upon, could have made for an excellent movie but as it is, it's just average popcorn entertainment.
½ October 31, 2012
I loved this movie Unlike most apparently. Original idea with intense build up and violence with a lot of dark humor. The last 15 minutes or so was kinda boring but other than that I enjoyed it.
October 29, 2012
A potent concoction of '28 Days Later', 'Pontypool' and 'Shaun of the Dead', the result being an insanity-laced apocalypse with horror, heart and even humor in equally memorable employment in its thrill ride.
½ October 29, 2012
Some entertainment to be had, but largely incoherent.
½ October 16, 2012
Interesting, if somewhat disjointed, indie horror. At turns scary, funny (intentionally so), gorey, and touching. Some viewers might be distracted by the shifts in tone/genre between the sections (transmissions), though it worked for me, as it helped one understand the signal-garbled thoughts of some of the characters. Well done and very character-centric story telling.
½ October 14, 2012
Another movie that has made me re-think my dislike of zombie flicks. A lot of gore, even more black humor, all in all a pretty good horror movie find.