Silent House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silent House Reviews

½ June 3, 2015
Though the single take cinematography is compelling and effective and lead Elizabeth Olsen does a solid job, Silent house takes few opportunities to bring effective frights, as well as being quite confusing and disappointing plot wise.
½ May 21, 2015
I wanted to like this because Elizabeth Olson is really good in it, but the film is just so mediocre.
May 18, 2015
Silent House is an all right remake that wasn't as interesting as the trailers made it out to be. I'll give it to the movie that it's trying to be an effective horror film because the way it's trying to be in one shot is really interesting. Elizabeth Olson is great in it and tries to make it as interesting as it can. It doesn't go for gores and goes for the suspense which is very effective and almost all of the scares did give me a jolt. But the thing is about it, is that that's all it has got. The characters are all right but not memorable, and it kind of drags on with it. The build up is great, but when it gets to the reveal part, the pay off is disappointing at best. Some parts didn't made sense, and there were some moments that the main character could've ran to the road and find help but didn't. Silent House could've been better, but it just ended up being disappointing.
May 17, 2015
SILENT HOUSE'S setting and lack of jump cuts makes for a very claustrophobic, suspenseful, and at times unsettling film, that is until the disjointed ending comes along and and completely murders any substance the film could of had. In the end all you're left with are a couple of scary scenes, and it takes more than that to make a horror film a recommended viewing. It just doesn't have very much that makes it standout from other genre fair.
May 14, 2015
Lead by a terrific performance by Elizabeth Olsen, Silent House is an utterly terrifying film that is realistic, fun, and actually benefits from the great, underrated ending.
April 25, 2015
see the original Spanish one this remakes casting is a bit off minus olsen
½ April 25, 2015
The camera man deserves a raise.
Bradley T. Johnson
½ April 6, 2015
Enjoyable for about halfway through, until it completely derails with a twist that is hugely silly and random. Elizabeth Olsen is great and the camera work is occasionally brilliant. I'm frustrated that it had to turn into a psychological/ abuse-rape tale. Rating: 47
½ March 23, 2015
Silent House had one cool film-making technique going for it that alone made it interesting to watch. The entire move was shot in one, long take without ever cutting away. So it was like a live play of sorts where everything had to be done right the first time and there could be no mistakes. It was a neat and unique movie in that aspect but besides that it was pretty bland. The story was simple, a girl was trapped in a house and there was someone inside trying to scare her and kill her. There were some jump scares but besides that the atmosphere they created was not that freaky. The story slowly progressed along the way and it all came to a rather underwhelming ending. If you want to see a unique filming technique you should check this one out but if you are just looking for a good horror and suspenseful movie there is no need to watch Silent House.
February 11, 2015
Unfortunately for most of the film the most intriguing part is the "Real Time" camera work. Not a bad film just forgettable
½ February 2, 2015
(50%)
An affective, if overall nothing new little horror flick that's not exactly terrifying, but I thought Elizabeth Olsen was really quite good as she goes through the emotions of being alone within a spooky old house. And although the one take trick isn't exactly perfect, it's still a decent attempt at the concept with a fair amount of decent tension. I myself am fine with the so called problem ending as at least it tried to do something interesting, and didn't just blame everything that happened on ghosts, or maybe a boogie man of some kind. Overall this is a perfectly decent watch for anyone in the mood for a short slice of watchable horror.
½ January 23, 2015
Fairly rote horror thriller that has about two things that make it standout from the rest: the attempted illusion that it takes place in a single take (it doesn't) and the performance by Elizabeth Olsen (the previously forgotten but only truly talented Olsen Sibling). The hook of the "continuous" take is more distracting than effective, but Olsen holds the screen with aplomb (she's certainly given far more to do here than in the recent Godzilla remake) but ultimately it's all for not as the narrative spirals to a lackluster conclusion that is fairly obvious from the get-go.
½ January 13, 2015
Led by a captivating performance by Elizabeth Olsen, Silent House offers the audience an affectively creepy throwback to the horror films of decades past. However, the ending delivers a somewhat disappointing payoff.
January 3, 2015
I liked this movie I thought it was intense and scary
½ November 21, 2014
I haven't liked a movie like this since I saw The Strangers. See this movie.
½ November 7, 2014
not as bad as people make out. it is actually creepy in parts aswell. only enoying thing is its been done soo often now. why run upstairs n
why make a crap effort to try n get out . n why decide to go back down the stairs without a weapon? mainly why go bk into the house without the police etc..bits n bobs like this will annoy you lots. it is still worth a watch tho especially for the massive twist at the end
October 21, 2014
Let me explain my review: Yes, there were flaws, yes, it has been done before in various other forms. However, someone please give that crew an award? Making it appear to be one continuous shot for the entire film? Hiding in dark corners with Elizabeth Olsen(swoon)? Olsen's acting? All these things are very impressive. They are simply unable to reach their potential due to a screenplay that was brought into the world before it was mature.
½ October 10, 2014
Good protagonist that makes this movie more interesting and suspensefull, with a good story but with a little confusing end and with stressfull scenes second by second that without any relax scene this film could be very disturbing and exhausting.
½ September 11, 2014
September 10, 2014
I loved this movie! Constantly made me feel scared of what was in the house