Silent Tongue - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silent Tongue Reviews

October 24, 2015
Ghost lady was pretty freaky.

Possessed performance by Phoenix. There are potential allegories here, but not enough of a narrative to allow it any force.
July 22, 2015
All he needs is a voice.

Talbot is a man who can't handle the death of his Indian bride and sits under a tree waiting for his death to join her. His father, who made a trade for the Indian bride, seeks the bride's sister in hopes that she can snap his son out of it. The sister reluctantly agrees to help the father but they have no idea how gone the son will be when they finally reach him.

"She's just going to die on you...just like I did."

Sam Shepard, director of Far North, delivers Silent Tongue in his second major motion picture. The storyline for this picture was just okay and kind of cliché for the genre, but the settings and cast are above average. The cast includes River Phoenix, Alan Bates, Richard Harris, Bill Irwin, and Dermot Mulroney.

"The whole prairie is thirsting for our women."

I came across a few River Phoenix movies on Netflix and decided to add all of them to my wish list. This was a very average and mediocre addition to the western genre and did not display Phoenix's talent, in my opinion. There really isn't much to see here and I'd probably skip this movie unless you're a fan of the Phoenix.

"Their dogs will be eating our testicles by nightfall."

Grade: C-
September 13, 2014
If you are drunk or on drugs this movie may actually make sense...otherwise don't waste your valuable time.
February 19, 2012
"Insanity is a sorry thing." After his Indian bride dies during childbirth, River Phoenix goes mad with grief refusing to bury his love; he stands guard over the elements hollering at the wildlife and possibly communicating with the dead. His father, Richard Harris travels to the medicine show where he originally bought the squaw for three horses and attempts to barter for Alan Bates' other halfbreed daughter. Things get freakier from there. Silent Tongue is an excellent Weird Western from playwright Sam Shepard that stands on its varied performances and rich dialog. River Phoenix died just months before it's Sundance premiere and it only took in a few thousand dollars at the box office. If you're looking for something different in the genre look no further. VF.
½ November 8, 2011
I like River Phoenix, and this being the last film released that he starred in, I wanted it to be good. Unfortunately, I found it all rather slow and quite dull in parts. There was a good performance from the entire cast, but sadly that didn't quite save what I thought could have been a much better film.
October 13, 2011
I KNOW there is a good movie lurking-around somewhere in this poorly edited film . . .

River's Last

(aside from DARK BLOOD)

would somebody release the footage from Dark Blood please?
February 5, 2011
It's a supernatural western! God bless (or help?) everyone involved. I hate Westerns and I've put off seeing this for many years. It's time I finally do!
December 3, 2010
With name recognized actors and a western setting, I was ready to love this movie. Instead of the darkly enticing movie I was hoping for, I got this boring, poorly acted morass of Native American legend and old west morality. A movie that tarnishes the memories of Harris and Phoenix and one that Mulroney should wish he could erase from his filmography.
August 10, 2010
To call this quirky, brooding film a western is a failure of imagination since it is nothing less than a classical tragedy, a sort of Hamlet set in the American west circa 1875. ^Silent Tongue^ is a Sam Sheppard film with a stout cast and ambitious themes. It is helped toward that end by the venerable talents of Alan Bates as a drunken Irish thespian and snake oil salesman (what a great archetype) along with Richard Harris as the desperate father of a young man lost in madness from grieving the death of his Indian wife. It does not hurt that the screenplay^s characters sometimes speak with the cadence and tone of formal 17th Century English mixed with a touch of cowboy colloquy. It helps even more that there are murderous ghosts and allusions to suicide. After about 30 minutes of trying to get a peg to hang my movie genre hat on, I was left with a question. "What the frakk is going on here?" That is why eventually I gave up and accepted it for what it was--a Shakespearian western. Aside from that, its a slow stroll with lots of dramatic flourishes and an unexpected touch of Grand Guignol. Dermott Mulroney and River Phoenix are evident in support. Native American actress Sheila Tousey is absolutely terrific. Watch it but in the right mood.
June 18, 2010
A rare kind of western! Real slow but great performace all around!!! There's a great point at the end of the film.
October 25, 2009
this movie was very strange indeed, and at some points i was unsure what was acctaully happening but it was a very convincing performance and an amazing last performance by river phoenix, but this movie should not determine who he is.
½ April 28, 2009
The ending wasn't the greatest and I didn't understand how her face on her body was so pretty but the spirits face wasn't.
½ April 2, 2009
Didn't get it. Bizarre is right...
October 13, 2008
one of my all time favorite movies. Sheila Tousey is amazing in this film!
July 4, 2008
Gotta see it for Rio.
April 19, 2008
stunning performance by Sheila Tousey as the ghost of Phoenix's dead wife.
March 7, 2008
Love westerns and loved Dermot
February 29, 2008
Liked it but, River had kinda a short part.
December 18, 2007
Shakespearean attempt at a western but no...no.