Murder at the Baskervilles (Silver Blaze) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Murder at the Baskervilles (Silver Blaze) Reviews

October 26, 2010
The video quality was pretty bad on this one. Often the bright white parts of the image including characters' faces were glaring so much you couldn't make out what was happening. I thought the US title being changed to Murder at the Baskervilles was a cheap way of trying to get more profit out of an audience's assumed association with the more famous Sherlock Holmes mystery Hound of the Baskervilles. This mystery was not nearly on the same level. Holmes and Watson and the other familiar characters are again pushed into the 1930's with the dress and technology expected of that time rather than recreating Arthur Conan Doyle's London of the 1880s-1900s. The acting is not as strong. The viewing audience is not given the chance to share in Holmes' observations, but instead theories pop out of Holmes' head seemingly whenever he wishes to cause a look of confusion and awe on the faces of his colleagues. The script was not very thrilling or well constructed. The focus was very much on attempting to show humorous exchanges between the clueless Lestrade and a condescending Holmes. Also Holmes appears to be a conspiracy theorist more in this story by the way he talks about a Moriarty that no one believes exists.
October 20, 2010
I'm not a fan of Sherlock Holmes, but I'm watching 30s movies so I thought I'd give it a try. It didn't surprise me or encourage me to like Holmes, it was a routine mystery movie. I don't recommend this one.
October 20, 2010
More commonly known as Silver Blaze. It's another good Sherlock Holmes tale, this one tends to wander a bit now and then but it is still interesting and well done. Arthur Wonter is not as good as Basil Rathbone as Sherlock, but he does well.
June 4, 2010
This is the wrong Robert Horton. This one is a British actor who was working many years before the American Robert Horton was born. He had the same name, but there is no relation. Any films before 1945 with Robert Horton are with the British actor, not the American one.
November 16, 2008
An eager Holmes. Amateurish. It's no Basil Rathbone. The pronounciation of Lestrade (as 'Le-STRAY-d') was unwelcome. It was ok as far as horse-chasing goes. The actor was a little too aware he was playing Sherlock Holmes. I have a suspicion that he begged the director to let him say "elementary" a few more times.
½ September 6, 2008
Silver Blaze, aka Murder at the Baskervilles. Pretty good Sherlock Holmes flick. The movie flows pretty quickly but is still a gem.