Silver Linings Playbook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silver Linings Playbook Reviews

April 17, 2016
A most unusual and laugh out loud rom-com!
April 13, 2016
As someone who has suffered for years with bipolar depression and violent mood swings, I had a very hard time watching this movie. It just felt too real and far too personal.

Yet, I mustered through it, and I'm glad I did. I can't say the movie changed me. It didn't provide me with a vastly new outlook on my disease or my life. However, it was refreshing to see a sensitive and well-made representation of something I and millions of other Americans have to go through each day. In some ways the movie was like a little therapy. And sometimes, when you feel trapped by such a lonely and personal plight, it's nice to know that out there somewhere, there is someone who understands. And sometimes that's all you need.
April 13, 2016
brilliant movie, absolutely adore JL and BC.
½ April 10, 2016
Very good. Incredible performances by Cooper and Lawrence.
April 10, 2016
Bit slow but caught up but the end
April 10, 2016
Well, I just fell in love with Jennifer Lawrence! She is amazing in this movie, as is basically the whole cast! I just really enjoyed everything about this! Some highlights for me: the use of "My Cherie Amour", the garbage bag, the way Tiffany "attacks" Pat on his runs, the whole Eagles thing, and Tiffany's big run down of how she isn't messing with Philly's juju! Hot damn what a movie! Thanks to Amanda (again) for suggesting this to me!
April 6, 2016
Really good, feel-good movie.
½ April 4, 2016
I like Jennifer Lawrence but she has never been in a movie that I liked.
March 29, 2016
THIS MOVIE WAS SOOOOOO GOOOD!!!! HANDS DOWN BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN! I WOULD RECCOMEND IT TO EVERY LIVING PERSON/ANIMAL/REPTILE/BACTERIA/SINGLE-CELLED ORGANISM EVER!!!!! IF YOU DONT LIKE IT I DONT LIKE YOU
½ March 25, 2016
Fantastic film about how anyone can find love, even when you are both at your worst in life.
½ March 23, 2016
Watching this film is like watching a bubbling geyser. You know it's going to blow, the only question is when? Lawrence and Cooper turn in fantastic performances, along with an outstanding supporting cast. The movie is listed as a comedy, but rather one where the laughs are released with hands up in defence mode. Not exactly a sit-back-and-enjoy-a-good-laugh film, but certainly one of great satisfaction as regards outcome.

This is a rare film that stands out amongst the others in originality of intent and purpose. Pat and Tiffany are recovering emotionalholics, both recovering from great relationship traumas. But in their recovery, in their toughness and honesty, they find a connection in that both being laid emotionally raw and open, neither are looking to hide anything or belittle honest feelings. And it is in this complete, unedited honesty, both having come through great emotional hell, they find that healing can only be found in honouring a commitment to truth.

The couple grows as they overcome and move past the pain of their pasts, helping each other to do so. Sure, it's a Hollywood film, and would such problematic characters come together so quickly in real life? Well, no, but Hollywood only has a couple of hours to convey the arc of the narrative, so all things considered, we'll let the time issue pass.

Overall a very satisfying, fun, funny, quirky and aggressive romance, but certainly one full of hope and healing made real or that which can only come of the deepest despair life provides for such occasions. Way beyond serviceable.
½ March 21, 2016
Another stinker from David O. Russell. I understand that bipolar disorder is a serious problem and I think that Cooper's portrayal of it is very accurate. Jennifer Lawrence however, is detestable in this film. The whole film she is only focused on herself and abuses Cooper and his disorder for her own personal gain. From lying and forging a letter from Cooper's wife just so he will help her practice for a dance. To lying that his wife will be at the dance so that he will show up, and then when his wife does show up Lawrence gets pissed off and blames it on Cooper! What the fuck?! The same goes for De Niro's character who bets almost everything he has on a football game, loses, and then parlay's the bet to include the dance score, just so HE can get his money back. And then, after all this, Cooper falls in love with Lawrence anyway, even though he finds out that she's been abusing his mental illness. Are we supposed to feel sorry for these characters? Are we supposed to root for them? Well not me! I find this film disgusting in almost everyway. From the constant abuse of one's mental illness for selfish needs, to the bullshit ending, to the fact that Lawrence got an Academy Award for acting like a total fucking bitch! The only small, single-sided, saving grace for this film is the fact that Cooper's bipolar disorder is portrayed very accurately. It's a shame that almost everyone in the film is so full of themselves to not care or want to help him, just to get what they want. "Silver Linings Playbook" may not have bored the shit out of me like "American Hustle" did, but it is because of the aforementioned things that it is worse. FUCK THIS FILM!
½ March 7, 2016
This is the start of a partnership between David O. Russell, Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper. The two main stars go through a very tough time and try to seek solace with each other. But it's easier said than done. Robert DeNiro is also very good once again, although who would expect any less? I'd highly recommend this film.
March 1, 2016
This movie is a life changer... 5 stars on every level
Bradley T. Johnson
February 26, 2016
David O. Russell may just be a bit overrated. Silver Linings Playbook has four great performances, but is unfortunately unrisky in its exploration of disorders. The film opts for a simple love story and the central pairing is more brother and sister. For a solid romantic comedy drama, SLP is perfectly fine. As a daring understanding of bipolar disorder, it faulters. Rating: 61
February 21, 2016
Really strange movie. I didn't get it.
February 21, 2016
Luv this movie beginning to end
February 20, 2016
Love this. Jennifer Laurence is outstanding in this movie. I love their story.
½ February 19, 2016