Silver Linings Playbook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silver Linings Playbook Reviews

August 18, 2017
Silver Linings Playbook is a emotional rollercoaster that juggles a mixing of genres with style and control. A stellar cast that match the brilliance of their characters with the justice they needed and deserved. Russell's ability to change from strangely funny to seriously emotional is a true gift and not an easy task to do, but to make it believably shows some real mastery. The icing on the cake was the killer soundtrack and a Chris Tucker that can actually act.
½ August 18, 2017
I think everyone in the cast, even the smallest of roles, did their job to the best of their ability and the result is impressive. O. Russel handles a lot of themes and tones but is able to distribute them evenly. It enjoys itself being slightly different and crazy and, as a viewer, you feel a certain appreciation and respect for that.
½ August 15, 2017
The chemistry between Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence is undeniable. One of those movies that reminds you why you fell in love with film in the first place.
½ July 30, 2017
Who could believe that a recovering bipolar and a sex addict widow could truly love each other. This film was awesome and really touching, maybe one of my favorite love story. The scenario was extremely simple (in the same vein as 50/50 or Sideways), wonderful and accessible for all. Actually, this movie deserves to be my favorite movie of 2012. Not really surprised by the 8 nominees in list for the Oscars!
½ July 29, 2017
Great film. Feel good with an underlying serious theme, represents mental health struggles but always with a nice humorous tone. Couldn't have picked two better actors for these roles, and they couldn't have embraced the parts any better.
July 18, 2017
Fantastic acting from Cooper, Lawrence, and De Niro. Also, I'm a Cowboys fan and this movie made me root for arch rivals, The Philadelphia Eagles. That's an achievement.
July 11, 2017
This movie depicts my life. I don't know which character I relate to most. I love this movie.
June 27, 2017
This is a decent film
June 24, 2017
The performances are fine, and the first thirty minutes are an entertaining introduction to the main characters, but it quickly dissolves into a shallow and unfocused mess.

There's very little beneath the surface in "Silver Lining's Playbook." Almost every emotion is said out loud, and the depiction of the mental illnesses some of the characters face was entirely dependent on whether or not the plot needed something to move it along. It's almost as if no such issues existed once the characters were supposed to be likeable again. And even at peak "crazy" it just felt like watching actors try to out-act each other.

After those first thirty minutes, the story feels desperate. Almost like a school play where everyone forgot their lines. Plot points are pulled out of nowhere, and then they're stretched far farther than any ever should be. And because the characters seem like actors, there's no charm or relationship investment to keep the film afloat.

I think there's a good movie within "Silver Lining's Playbook." Maybe if forty minutes were shaved off the two hour runtime, so we could be left wanting more instead of wishing things would speed up or at least reassemble themselves. However, I don't know how the depiction of mental illness could be fixed. Perhaps if the screenplay was more specific than to just give us characters who are loud and irrational when the plot depends on it.
June 23, 2017
Good movie with a talented cast.
Would give 5 stars if not for the somewhat Hollywood Happy Ending that maybe didn't go with the tone of the rest of the movie.
June 17, 2017
OMG ... this movie was so beautiful !!! Amazing performance by Bradley Cooper and especially Jennifer Lawrence !!! Not surprised that she got the Oscar for this performance.
June 13, 2017
Fab acting and super writing and directing lead a pretty slim premise of a love story. It's great to see DeNiro at the best he's been in over 20 years. The duo of Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper have a special chemistry that is tough to match. Chris Tucker is hilarious in his brief moments. If you take this for what it is a rom-com, you'll love it. Final Score 8.2/10
½ May 5, 2017
Charming, surprising, moving and very well written and directed by David O. Russell. This is a true ensemble piece. There is not a weak link in the cast, and it avoids sentimentalising the very real destructiveness of mental illness. At the same time it shows the positive force that can come out of family breakdown. So good to see Dr Niro reminding us what a great actor he is when given a chance.
½ April 29, 2017
Too bad it won an Oscar.
April 14, 2017
Funny, smart and excellent
March 24, 2017
Heartwarming movie that shows some of the real life struggles that come with living with mental illness in your life (your own mental illness or that of a loved one). A unique and refreshing story that is very sweet and heartwarming.
March 19, 2017
watched it last week and it really touched me...good movie with some unexpected turns
March 17, 2017
When I heard of Katniss Everdeen becoming Tiffany Maxwell, making Jennnifer Lawrence win a best actor oscar I was a bit skeptical. But I have to admit she did a great job in this nevrotic ataching role. De Niro and Braddley Cooper really leverage it. Not a must see but a very fresh romantic comedy.
March 15, 2017
It uses a very sensitive and pitiful scenario to build spectacular comedy and to develop a genuine beautiful love story. Jennifer Lawrence made maybe the most beautiful female lead of romantic comedies here.
½ March 5, 2017
A romantic comedy with a bit more depth to it. Good watch.