Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Reviews

• Jan 30, 2021

Sin City is visually arresting for the first 20 minutes and then once you see through the Emperor's new clothes it's just a purile vehicle for edgy actors to show how edgy they are. The sequel is worse. An Aubrey Beardsley slab of black but with none of the wit, ambition or beauty of that illustrator. Another poker game, another beheading, another cigar, another gunfight, another 50s chrome drop top in red, another sewerage tap opened in a writers room. Achingly cool shite.

• Jan 17, 2021

Not as good as the first film, but still tries to stick to the spirit of the Dark Horse comics from Frank Miller, so there’s something to admire about it!

• Oct 17, 2020

joseph gordon levitts character's story was the best part of the movie.

joseph gordon levitts character's story was the best part of the movie.

• Jul 30, 2020

Some of Sin City's most hard-boiled citizens cross paths again with a few of its more reviled inhabitants... Rotten Tomatoes critical consensus reads, "A Dame to Kill For boasts the same stylish violence and striking visual palette as the original Sin City, but lacks its predecessor's brutal impact." Alonso Duralde of The Wrap gave the film a negative review, saying "This is Rodriguez's second sequel in a row in which he turns sex, violence and exploitation into an occasion for dullness. For a film loaded with decapitations and gun-toting ladies in bondage gear, Sin City gets really tedious really quickly." Justin Chang of Variety gave the film a negative review, saying "Rare indeed is the movie that features this many bared breasts, pummeled crotches and severed noggins and still leaves you checking your watch every 10 minutes." Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter gave the film a positive review, saying "As an exercise in style, it's diverting enough, but these mean streets are so well traveled that it takes someone like Eva Green to make the detour through them worth the trip." Soren Anderson of The Seattle Times gave the film two out of four stars, saying "This new Sin City features the signature characteristics and many of the original's characters but seems less adventurous. It feels a little flabby and self-satisfied. The element of surprise is gone." Kyle Smith of the New York Post gave the film a negative review, saying "It's 100 solid minutes of wearying pastiche, and I found myself checking my watch a lot." Peter Travers of Rolling Stone gave the film two out of four stars, saying "Sin City: A Dame To Kill For doesn't explode onscreen the way the first one did. Miller's monochrome palette, splashed with color that shines like a whore's lip gloss, doesn't startle as it once did." Peter Hartlaub of the San Francisco Chronicle gave the film one out of five stars, saying "It is, in almost every way, inferior to its predecessor. It's poorly paced and repetitive." Amy Nicholson of LA Weekly gave the film a C−, saying "Eva Green is sexy, funny, dangerous and wild - everything the film needed to be - and whenever she's not on screen, we feel her absence as though the sun has blinked off." Bill Goodykoontz of The Arizona Republic gave the film two and a half stars out of five, saying "This is a great cast, but with the few exceptions they simply serve the effects." Kristin Tillotson of the Star Tribune gave the film two and a half stars out of five, saying "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For is worth the watch if you expect nothing more than disparate comic-strip frames of action. But nine years in coming, this follow-up ultimately fizzles." Stephanie Merry of The Washington Post gave the film two out of four stars, saying "The aesthetic quality is still there, even if there haven't been too many great leaps since Rodriguez unveiled Sin City in 2005. But the stories aren't nearly as engrossing." Joe Williams of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch gave the film two and a half stars out of four, saying "As in the first film, there are judicious stabs of color. And Alba is a showstopper in a fringed cowgirl outfit. But nine years wiser, we know that pretty things aren't always worth killing for." Claudia Puig of USA Today gave the film two out of four stars, saying "The cartoonish mayhem in Sin City: A Dame to Kill For aims for a film noir sensibility, but too frequently the script simply resorts to anachronistic scenes of Jessica Alba twerking." Rafer Guzman of Newsday gave the film two out of four stars, saying "The movie's trademark mix of live action and drawing techniques (white silhouettes, reddened lips, an abundance of venetian blinds) looks fantastic. If it's depth you want, you've knocked on the wrong door." I don´t know how Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez failed with this sequel, but nothing works in "Sin City - A Dame To Kill For". The magic from the first one has just gone out of the door. The acting ensemble is weaker (despite some actors are back in their roles) and the general storyline and conceptual structure is simply not working. It feels like someone tried to re-create the great "Sin City" vibe from 2005, but failed miserably. And yet this sequel comes from the minds of Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez. And unlike the first film, "Sin City - A Dame To Kill For" was a box-office bomb, grossing $39 million against its $65 million production budget, which is hardly a surprise after having seen it. Shame though as the first film is so groundbreaking and really unique.

• Jul 28, 2020

Having seen the first film, I wasn't entirely sure if I was ready to watch the sequel, especially considering how many years it took to make. Nine years? They could have released three sequels in that period. After a while given the film was still filled with some of the many great actors and actresses from the original movie, I knew I had to watch it. Frank Miller's collection of modern-day noir continues but by all accounts, it is not so much a sequel but a prequel as well, similar to the Godfather Part II. This movie presents a series of stories just like its predecessor and in this case, it involves four. Just Another Saturday Night is set sometime in the events of the first movie when Marv, played by Mickey Rourke endures an episode that renders him in a state of mental confusion as he deals with what had happened. The Long Bad Night is split into two parts as a professional card shark ends up confronting the corrupt Senator Roark sometime after the death of his son as the card shark is warned not to cross Roark, but he does and from there is a revelation about who the card shark is to Roark. A Dame To Kill for is set before Marv's and Dwight's stories from the first movie as its learned what type of man Dwight was before becoming a street punk. He was a strait-laced private detective who wanted a normal life only to get crossed by the mother of all vamps played by Eva Green. Finally, Nancy's Last Dance has it set years after the final part of the original movie as Nancy does learn the truth about what happened to the pervert son of Senator Roark and what happened to Hartigan. Grieving and then finally resolved to avenge Hartigan she gets the nerve to kill Roark. Truly the best part of the story. All things considered this movie was a long time coming unfortunately for all the good, sadly there is plenty wrong. First of all, not everyone from the original movie came back. Clive Owen was unavailable so he was replaced by Josh Brolin, some criticize the casting but I liked Brolin and I think he was much stronger and appealing in the role of Dwight than Owen but even I feel Owen's original performance was not without merit. Devon Aoki who played the role of Miho proved that no one could replace her, but she had to be. Pregnant and unavailable to be filmed with CGI at the time Aoki ended up being replaced by Jaime Chung who by the by is Korean, not Japanese. It is almost offensive that they used make-up to make Chung look Japanese. Also, her style of combat was different than Aoki's as well. Epic fails with Miho in this movie. But there are others which of course are reason enough. The role of Manute is replaced by Dennis Haysbert because of the death of Michael Clarke Duncan and of course the retirement of the character Shellie played by the late Brittany Murphy. Another thing that makes this movie weaker than the original is its new cast, but some pull out a great job. I enjoyed seeing Joseph Gordon Levitt as the card shark and loved that revelation at the end. But I did not like most of the characters in A Dame To Kill For, basically because everybody played a fool to the femme fatale and it made me sick. Still what makes this movie great is the many happy returns, but some are not that great. Mickey Rourke is still great as Marv but his story isn't as strong as it was in the original even more he looks different, the makeup looks less real and feels more plastic, my guess is he didn't want to spend all that time in make-up. I got to say I am more than happy to see Powers Boothe in what I can only call a villainous swan song, he will be greatly missed. Rosario Dawson, she is all kinds of hot, looking loads better, fitter, and as vicious as she was in the first movie, but I wanted more. Jaime King was lovely in playing Wendy and Goldie, Marv was right in Goldie being the nice one. But the best acting came from Jessica Alba who proves she is more than a pretty face and delivered as the vengeful Nancy Callahan. From her sensual dances that became expressions of anger as well as loss. I loved how she was more of a grieving widow than Hartigan's ex-wife ever was. Like a true wife, she gets vengeance for her beloved and she did a great job. I think the movie was alright. I didn't like the movie's centerpiece but I did love many of the original characters and actors and that was enough to make me happy with this.

• Jun 12, 2020

I love it like I love the original. I miss a few of the original actors but the stories are mostly great and the performances are great especially Green and surprisingly Alba.

• May 17, 2020

Not as good as the first but there are still a great amount of parts that I do enjoy in this movie.

• May 16, 2020

Between 2.5 and 3 stars. It comes close to the first one, but not enough.

Between 2.5 and 3 stars. It comes close to the first one, but not enough.

• May 10, 2020

It has the same stylish violence and visuals, but they're no longer impressive, and the script is convoluted and messy.

• Mar 04, 2020

The sheer amount of time elapsed since its predecessor has rendered the style a bit dated, and the story fails to pick up the slack. (2/5)