Singin' in the Rain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Singin' in the Rain Reviews

½ June 12, 2016
While I think the musical numbers are a little too long, Gene Kelly's singing and dancing well makes up for it! Truly the king of movie musicals.
June 9, 2016
saw it again in arclight theater tonight and had a blast. off the chart charming and beautifully told with incredible musical numbers and performances!
May 28, 2016
Saw this in full for the first time today. Great feel good musical, fantastic dancing talent on screen. One for all the family!
May 22, 2016
An excellent look at how movies in the 1920's were made while also having fantastic music, believable romance, fantastic choreography that inspired the king of pop himself, Singing in the Rain is a classic masterpiece while also based on one of the best songs ever written.
½ April 20, 2016
A cheeky, self-aware, funny, and warmhearted movie about Hollywood's conversion to the talkies.
½ March 23, 2016
Timeless, charming, hilarious, and romantic! All these words and more describe the brilliance of this film! Love it!!
March 7, 2016
It's fun, funny, a little too over the top at times, but overall quite enjoyable. I don't love it as much as most people do and I'm not a huge fan of some of the acting here, but I often found myself enjoying some of the dance sequences and I loved watching Debbie Reynolds singing and dancing (don't judge). Singin' In the Rain is a well-made film.
February 18, 2016
"Singin' in the Rain" has remained a defining musical for the 1950s era and the modern era.
February 14, 2016
The classic of classics when it comes to musicals, a wonderful movie that is light, entertaining and funny with priceless dialogue and amazing choreography - and where even an out-of-place Broadway number is delightful enough to make us forgive it for being there.
½ February 7, 2016
Pretty good film this one especially for a musical. Could have done without the Broadway scene. Now I see the inspiration behind the Artist too.
February 5, 2016
Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen's work of pure movie magic is part of a rare breed of Hollywood royalty where the film's age works as an asset. It's reflective of a time when mainstream filmmaking, tiresome as it may have been, was still whimsical, optimistic, and incredibly gorgeous. It has an aged charm and majesty to it, directly reflective of the time it was created in. People had a romantic view of movie stars and the directors that made them stars, and this epic Hollywood landmark perfectly reflects that.

In the filmmaking pantheon there are a few romantic pairings in American cinema that are totally iconic from start to finish, and Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds make up one of the very best.
February 3, 2016
"Singin' in the Rain" isn't just the best musical ever made; it is also a transcendence of the genre, being so infectiously euphoric and utterly delightful that I cannot imagine a viewer conceivably turned off by its astonishing joy. This is what we talk about when we talk about the popcorn movie, the movie we never wanted to end, the movie we wanted to live in, the movie that made us laugh and maybe even cry. It is an exemplification of the power of cinema and the profound sense of escapism a film can uncover so long as it's made with care, with heart. Unpretentious and deliriously fun, its appeal is timeless; while a cultural artifact, it retains a crisp veneer to be enjoyed by all audiences, regardless of their neuroses.
Directed by Stanley Donen (1924-) and Gene Kelly (1912-1996), the Hollywood Golden Age's most widely acclaimed virtuosos of the musical genre, it's odd to think that there was a time in which "Singin' in the Rain" was deemed as something minor, an entertaining but otherwise forgettable piece of work from talented people. Only 28 upon release, Donen, who later went on to make such classics as "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and "Charade," had only directed two other films, 1949's "On the Town" (also a joint effort with Kelly) and 1951's Fred Astaire showcasing "Royal Wedding." Kelly was already established as the musical's alternative to the aforementioned singer/dancer, his iconhood coming only a year previously with "An American in Paris."
So perhaps "Singin' in the Rain" was an accidental masterpiece, with a soundtrack consisting mostly of established songs, and that it, for the time, contained no major stars besides Kelly. But time is a telling tale, and the immortal charisma of the film only heightens with each passing year. Is it its story, which, though period, is ageless in its comedy, romance, and theatrics? The art direction (slightly, and colorfully, Broadway), the music (classic), the dance sequences (wondrous), the imperial tint of the Technicolor photography?
The film has an ensemble to cement the impressive goods. Set in 1927, it stars Kelly as Don Lockwood, a silent movie star whose fame very much depends on Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen), the Garbo to his Gilbert in terms of onscreen partnership. We first meet them at the premiere of their latest movie, "The Royal Rascal," where it's clear that Don is tiring of being anchored to the woman, whose diva behavior and selfish wiles leave him craving something more fulfilling in his career.
So maybe it's fate when it's later announced that audiences are going gaga for "The Jazz Singer," a "talking picture" that very well might change the film industry as a whole. Studio heads are eager to make the switch, and Don, along with his musical sidekick, Cosmo Brown (Donald O'Connor), are ecstatic to showcase their singing and dancing talents that have gone unnoticed in an age where silence has literally silenced their many abilities.
There's a catch, though. Despite her immense fame, Lina has a voice more whiney, more grating, than anything Fran Drescher could ever dream of. It's unlikely that she'll make the transition into the talking era, and executives worry that her downfall could also result in Don's. An ingenious plan is soon devised - what if Lina's voice were dubbed by someone with a more fetching, seductive voice? They find the perfect candidate in Kathy Selden (Debbie Reynolds), an aspiring starlet who has everything Lina doesn't: a comely voice, enviable dancing skills, and girl-next-door charm. If only Don didn't fall in love with her, and if only Kathy didn't have star quality. Then things would be much, much, simpler.
For incorporating a storyline that easily could be deemed autobiographical for many onscreen duos of the 1920s (the inclusion of sound in film really did end quite a few careers), "Singin' in the Rain," though witty in ways only musical-comedy dream team Adolph Green and Betty Comden could write, is not a cruel satire. It is, rather, a dreamy excursion into Hollywood lite that cares more about the spotlight put onto the rousing array of its song-and-dance numbers, romance and comedy fitting like a silken glove around its kinetic parts. The film is aberrant in that in never overstimulates and is never lacking in what it has to offer - it all comes together so accordingly that comparing it to other musicals doesn't feel right. It is a musical experience, not willing to conform to genre normalities.
Its spectacle, for starters, is far more ambitious than other offerings of the decade. In a film comprised of some of the best dance sequences ever, we'd like to call everything a highlight, but playing favorites is, understandably, not an impossibility. Standing out is Donald O'Connor's masterful "Make 'Em Laugh," a deft combination of physical comedy, acrobatics, and dance, the O'Connor/Kelly tap-dancing duet "Moses Supposes," the light-hearted but bewitching "Good Morning," the ten-minute "Broadway Melody Ballet" (featuring the always underrated Cyd Charisse), and, inevitably, Kelly's rain-drenched rendition of the titular tune (performed with a 102 degree fever, no less).
These performances are all brilliantly choreographed and executed, but the way they stay forever tucked away in our minds is due to its actors, whose playfulness is as authentic as playfulness can come in the artificial setting of film. Kelly's energy and congeniality is boundless, O'Connor's comedic timing and musical skill outrageous, Reynolds's ingenuity convincing and savory. Charisse's appearance is my favorite cameo of all-time, a classic case of the Who Is She? phenomenon, and Hagen is a riot as the movie musical's greatest quasi-villain.
Endless praise is what "Singin' in the Rain" deserves, but to watch it again might do me better. It never loses its freshness, and it never tires - never does our fondness for its musical aspects, as well as its comic ones, wither away. I recall watching it for the first time some five-and-a-half years ago, only thirteen and feeling very alone in the grips of puberty and school-based misery. Little did I know how much it would end up meaning to me, and little did I know that I would watch it a second time almost immediately after that initial viewing. You don't want its delicious escapism to conclude. What a joy life would be if it were more like "Singin' in the Rain."
½ February 3, 2016
I am not a fan of dance and musical films. However, this film is one of the greatest of all time and on many top 100 lists. The plot moves along very well, and the dancing and comedy flow together flawlessly. Of particular note is the standout dance scene with Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse. This is one of the greatest dance numbers ever recorded. This will be liked by all including those who are not fans of the dance and musical genre. By far the greatest song and dance film of all time. This is the gold standard by which all dance musicals are measured against.
January 28, 2016
One of the best musicals of all time, Singin' in the Rain is one of my personal favorites. The colorful characters, the unforgettable songs, and the origin of the talkies make this movie stand out from all the other musicals out there. I can't believe it bombed when it came out. It captures one of Hollywood's most historical time periods perfectly and I hope everyone respects this classic musical.
½ January 26, 2016
Singin In The Rain is a classic musical filled with plenty of memorable songs and numbers. The story focuses on Lockwood's adapting to changes in cinema and his love life.
January 26, 2016
What every musical strives to be
January 25, 2016
78%
Saw this on 25/1/16
An intelligent and terrific film ruined by rather unnecessary overlong songs with repetitive lyrics that are so irritating that I felt it would have been so good had this not been a musical. The only enjoyable songs are Make em' laugh and Singin' in the rain where even the latter is overlong. The actors, especially the male show terrific athleticism and both the female actors are terrific, though the one that seems to be on top of the rest is Donald O'Connor. The film is really funny, it has a terrific story about 1920s Hollywood and whenever there are no lyrics, the movie seems to fly.
January 14, 2016
This lighthearted comedy-musical will have you humming its tunes for weeks. No better prescription can be found for a bad day. Singin' in the Rain will lift your spirits and leave you thoroughly entertained.
½ January 12, 2016
Singin' in the Rain is a thoroughly entertaining musical! Even though I'm not much of a musical person myself, I can see why it's being hailed as the finest musical of all time. It pretty much has everything. From the iconic scenes to great performances from Gene Kelly, Jean Hagen, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor. Not to mention the romance isn't shoved down your throat for no reason. I watched this for the first time in 2016 and I have to say the film truly stands the test of time.
½ December 24, 2015
My number one musical flick! A great movie about the Hollywood studio system and the talking era with an impressive display of choreographies by Gene Kelly. Watch for Cyd Charisse appearances.