Singin' in the Rain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Singin' in the Rain Reviews

Antonius Block
February 1, 2017
An absolute masterpiece, and easily, easily 5 stars. Gene Kelly's performance of 'Singin' in the Rain' has to be the greatest dance numbers ever performed on film, and I could watch it over and over again. He's a genius throughout this movie as both actor and director. It's just one fantastic number after another, including Donald O'Connor's 'Make 'Em Laugh', the two gentlemen and a 19-year-old Debbie Reynolds performing 'Good Morning' which includes that beautiful sofa sequence at the end, and Kelly dancing with Cyd Charisse in a stunning "imagined sequence within an imagined sequence", with beautiful modern art touches - and many others. This film works on all levels - a musical, of course, but also a romantic-comedy, and an ode to Hollywood's past. It makes you feel good not just because of the story, but because of the irrepressible joy in the performances, and because of you know you're seeing real artistry in the choreography and execution. They make it look smooth and easy, often making the most (so creatively!) out of an economy of space, but if you read the stories of the effort that went in, you'll appreciate it all the more. It's not for nothing that the cast of LaLaLand watched this movie every day on set for inspiration. Pure joy.
January 30, 2017
viewed on 24/7/04 (Sat)

Once upon a time, movie stars are stars not because they generate buzz and gossip but solely for their great great talent.

Singin' In the Rain (1952) stars Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds (that tough-talking mother in THE MOTHER?) and Donald O'Connor. They tap dance and sing and act. The dance sequences alone take my breath away. They so so well-synchronised that it must have gone through hundreds of rehearsals. The actors are so agile!Squatting and can-can dancing! It makes me wonder if Jackie Chan can try a musical like this but then again Gene Kelly can also do stunts.

When I was watching the so so famous Singin' In the Rain sequence, I was telling myself this has to be the happiest moment in movie history. I have heard so much about it. A true classic moment and indeed it is. So free-spirited and uplifting. Like a boy playing in the rain.

I don't really fancy musicals. Total crap, I think. Where in the hell will people break up into a song and dance in real life? But I think musicals like this one are such a joy to watch. I have to change my view about musicals. I think muscials like this one never fails to entertain and inspire awe. Implausible the story may be but I cannot hate movies whose sole mission is to put a big smile on your face.

Rating: B+
January 29, 2017
Why did I wait so long to see this? I can see why it's considered the greatest musical of all-time. Glad I purchased it instead of renting as I'm sure to watch this again over the years :)
January 26, 2017
The best musical ever made. Great acting all around. The script is hilarious. The direction is beautiful. The cinematography is gorgeous. RIP Debbie Reynolds
January 24, 2017
Romanticism, whimsy, innocence, optimism, and pure craftsmanship.

The direction of your typical musical is to mold the song and dance elements into the film's story organically. This is not Stanley Donan's priority. He's making something bombastic and beautiful, and he won't let you have a moment to get ride of that smile on your face. For that, on behalf of the scores of filmmakers and filmgoers that this masterpiece has inspired, thank you, sir.
January 23, 2017
Forget the best musical -- of course it is that, and not just in the cinema, but in general. No, this is the best film ever made. A romance with the musical, a romance with Hollywood and a romance with the girl, only Chaplin's City Lights can rival this love story. It's the most exciting movie ever made, a lighthearted comedy that appeals to everyone and has the most deservedly happy ending ever put on the screen. Not a single moment or music number feels contrived, unalike contemporary song and dance shows. The grace of Gene Kelly and his costars delights. This is a feel-good movie for the ages. The story resonates about all that life can be: you can find personal, professional success, but that doesn't mean much if you can't share it with your partner. To see this film is to find the most honest and genuine acting in cinema history. Gene Kelly performs the title number in a routine that embodies the true spirit of being in love. Don Lockwood is carefree and doesn't mind to just be, "Singin' and dancing in the rain."
January 15, 2017
10 out of 10:

Singing in the Rain still holds up due to the amazing song and dance numbers, funny slapstick, and witty dialogue.
January 6, 2017
one of the all-time classic musical comedy that is a must see would have gotten 5/5 but for the got a dance routeen with gene kelly he always got a little to carried away trying to bring modern dance to the gemeral public it just feels to me like a waste of time
January 4, 2017
A bit boring but charming at times. I mean you have Donald O'Connor's humor, Debbie Reynolds' cuteness and Gene Kelly's dancing.
January 3, 2017
Wonderful movie. Lost count of how times I've watched it.
½ December 30, 2016
"If we bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as though our hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'. Bless you all."
December 28, 2016
And now we have lost Debbie Reynolds,but we still have the greatest musical ever made
½ November 14, 2016
Oh, the lovely Gene Kelly.
What more do you want!
November 7, 2016
Singin' in the Rain's magic shines through in its charming, delightfully limber set-piece numbers, and most of all, in its hearty, genuine love of its own craft. It is totally appropriate that the greatest musical ever made reflects passionately on the history of its own genre, specifically Hollywood's troubled transition from silent to talking pictures at the end of the 1920s.
November 1, 2016
What a pleasure to watch that masterpiece again. One can only be in awe in front of Gene Kelly's incredible gift as a dancer and a shining actor. A real dose of positiveness teaching life lessons in best possible way. Hollywood at its best, the Hollywood we miss so much.
October 15, 2016
A quotable, relatable, hilarious classic that demands to be viewed time and time again.
September 29, 2016
Singin' in the Rain very well might be my new favorite movie of all-time.

One of the most joyful films I've ever experienced. This film oozes happiness and fun. I can't believe it took me so long to see this.
½ September 23, 2016
A feel good movie, with great musical numbers, iconic performances, and hilarious comedy, this movie should be seen by everybody. The performances from Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds were so iconic, you just can't help but smile everytime they're on screen together. An instant classic and a definite must see for film lovers.
September 23, 2016
A brilliant musical and a film that makes me appreciate the art of dancing and singing even more now. The exceptional musical numbers, the acting and singing, the costumes, screenplay, and great story all culminate into one of the best movies I have seen in a while and I can't believe it took me this long to finally sit down and watch it in all its glory because it was worth it and I didn't feel like I had my time wasted like most movies nowadays. It is easy to see why this film has garnered the praise it has gotten because it has the feeling of a classic just like The Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins, and The Sound of Music. The songs put you right into the moment and might even make you wanna start dancing as well. All of them stand out and are beautifully chroegraphed. But It is not just the singing and dancing that makes the movie stand out. Gene Kelly, Donald O' Conner, and Debbie Reynolds make an excellent trio and the dialogue moments between are great, but it is the romance between Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds that make the picture sparkle even more. Them two grow a bond toward one another and you really feel it. The film also is able to incorporate comedy into the mix making for clever and laugh out loud moments especially with Donald O' Conner who will definitely put a smile on your face. Another thing I must praise as well is the camerawork. The film doesn't cut a lot and it shows how much effort it took to create these amazing musical and comedy scenes. It is old movies like these that show that they really cared and that they weren't making Singing in the Rain for a lousy paycheck like most movies today. The story they told here about talking pictures being made was also fantastic because it has granted most Hollywood stars to become better actors and I appreciate that more than anything in movies. In the end, Singin' in the Rain is a work of genius and I have no problem giving it my highest grade because there are no obvious flaws to point out at all.