The Singing Detective - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Singing Detective Reviews

September 11, 2012
Downey begins his ascendancy here with a strange performance as both a very sick man dealing with childhood trauma, and a classic noir PI. Gibson, Holmes and Brody are great. The old musical bits are a bit much, but it all fits together to an enjoyable and interesting diversion.
½ August 23, 2012
The Singing Detective is Weird - Incoherent boring babble sporadically populated with upbeat musical numbers paced with offbeat timing. The Noir misfit movie wasn't my cup of tea and after 20 minutes I turned it off.
The original tv version was far superior, and if you've seen both the movie and Tv Series you most likely can relate to my sense of agony and disapointment. The comparison isn't close. What could have been Downey Jr's. biggest film achievements since Chaplin.
½ July 21, 2012
total mess of a film and a giant waste of talent
½ July 18, 2012
I haven‚(TM)t seen the classic Dennis Potter television series ‚The Singing Detective,‚? but I felt like I got most of what Director Keith Gordon was trying to convey in this 2003 Hollywood version. Robert Downey Jr. gives another familiar but entertaining performance as Dan Dark, a pulp author whose ideas become manifest as he lies in drug stupor on a hospital bed.

The concept is marvelous, as is the ironic and surreal tone of this endless dream sequence. Somehow the pacing and structure are off, though, making the whole thing feel uneven and aimless. Still, a truly enjoyable, entertaining and quirky little oddity with a character quite of its own.
½ May 20, 2012
Stick with the miniseries!
May 6, 2012
Since I'm a fan of Robert Downey Jr. and Keith Gordon, I of course was interested in this. I liked the nod to film noir and the cast was great. The story was a bit disjointed though.
April 28, 2012
Fictional. Scripted. Difficult to complement. With a strong cast and seeming to follow the written script as well as a small TV show prior with IMDB 10 stars, Robert Downey Jr fulfills to be a leading star througout
½ April 16, 2012
MAN is this movie weird.
March 18, 2012
Not a very well done film, but some great acting from RDJ.
March 18, 2012
Weird - Incoherent boring babble sporadically populated with upbeat musical numbers. Interesting scenario wasted on pain & misery rather than fantasy & entertainment. Acting is good and convincing, but too much time is spent in the real world rather than the strong noire setting.
February 8, 2012
weird movie but fuckin funny
January 24, 2012
very obnoxious character[s], kind of a good ending but.. to what?
December 11, 2011
Fun movie at times. I like the scenes with the singing and trying to piece together what exactly was going on. It can be a bit confusing, especially to the casual film-goer but worth checking out.
September 5, 2011
Fragmented narrative, dreamy visuals, bizarre music scenes - none of that matters because no matter how confusing or stupid things get there's Mr. Downey Jr. letting everyone know this movie is his. His performance is remarkable as is the supporting cast. However, for all its gimmicky hipness that gets old fast and stays that way, sort of like Willie Nelson, 'The Singing Detective' doesn't seem to want to have depth or do much with the noir aspect, while treating the noir parts of the movie like a person who has seen maybe a dozen and read one Chandler novel. This could have been great.
½ August 12, 2011
musical + crime detective..
lol.. what a combination~
½ August 7, 2011
Downey Jr. stars in this reality-twisting drama about a bedridden novelist who faces his past and must come to grip with his emotions. Be patient, stick with it and enjoy.
½ August 6, 2011
WAY over-sexualized, I only got ~20 minutes in, and then couldn't watch anymore. If you want to see it, DON'T go in with any sort of food in hand, unless you have a strong stomach.
June 30, 2011
Bought but not watched
½ April 20, 2011
Word's I've seen other reviewers use to describe this film "odd" "weird" "confusing" "homage to noir" "madness" "a mess" "pointless". These are all the perfect words to describe this film , and in each of them, I love it for that. This is an original experince in film and most people may not 'get' this film, and I don't think that we are entirely supposed to get it. It's a beautiful mess of a film that doesn't really follow any of the usual rules of most films. For anyone looking for something relating to any of thee above words I quoted here, this is the perfect film for you.
April 20, 2011
Such an odd movie. At first I didn't know what to think of it, so I waited for several hours and then decided to think about it. I thought that characters were badly developed, some weren't even developed at all. Robert Downey Jr. was the only good standing character and what an interesting one. He played the role very well. Some scenes were unnecessary, I even wanted to skip sometimes, which only tells me anther thing, the movie s could've been shorter. It's a 60/40 for me. I kind of liked it, but it's something I would never re-watch. Oh, I could barely recognize Mel Gibson!!!!