The Singing Nun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Singing Nun Reviews

January 30, 2016
Corny musical about nun Debbie Reynolds becoming a surprise music sensation with a hit record. Romantic tension building between Reynolds and her record producer and the film goes pretty much were you'd expect. Though nothing here seems all that original, it's all done very well and with a classy cast that includes Greer Garson, Agnes Moorehead, Katharine Ross, Chad Everett as the love interest and Ricardo Montalban as the priest who gets Reynolds into the recording studio. I'm not really a fan of musicals and the only reason I watched this is over by obsession with Ricardo Montalban (who sadly wasn't in the film as much as I'd hoped), but I was surprisingly entertained by the light fluffy musical.
December 1, 2014
December 29, 2013
Although it some spiritual enjoyment, The Singing Nun is a boring story about something completely irrelevant. The side plots are more interesting.
½ August 23, 2011
Nobody could have embodied this Role of a Belgian Singing,Spunky, Selfless, & Inspirational Nun better than Debbie Reynolds as Sister Ann.There is naturally something Angelic yet Spunky about Debbie Reynolds that shines through, this role was the perfect Showcase for her God Given Talents, a match made in Heaven one might even say. One can't help but feel that the real Soeur Sourire/Sister Ann would approve.Sister Ann's Compassion, Kindness,& Music Conservatory Background lead her to write a Song for a Grieving Boy that is so Good that she is produced, becomes a sensation World Wide, & appears on the Ed Sullivan(playing Himself here) Show Live.Her success becomes a Dilemma for the Nun, & her Mother Prioress(Greer Garson), & she seeks advice from Father Clementi(Ricardo Montalban) whether or not to remain a nun.A very Heartwarming & True Story, superbly acted by Debbie Reynolds, Greer Garson, Ricardo Montaolban,Katharine Ross(Nicole), & Juanita Moore(Sister Mary).
This Film is very Special to me as I had a Nun who too inspired my life.A Roller Skating & Singing Nun God Bless you Sister Carmilyn of St.Pascal's Baylon(R.I.P) this Film reminds me of her.
May 7, 2011
Good movie. It was a little bit like watching Sister Act but in 60's.
July 3, 2010
Wow. I've never known a nun as spunky and sweet as Sr. Anne! Apparently she committed suicide later.
May 15, 2010
can't find this in any store right now would love to own it
January 15, 2010
The film is somewhat syrupy and a bit simplistic, but correct in most essentials and quite entertaining. The music is the best thing about it and quite uplifting. Debbie Reynolds did a good job as Sister Ann. The script was also excellent. Henry Koster did a decent job directing the movie. This movie is a must see if you are a fan of Debbie Reynolds.
½ April 1, 2009
Great story and anything Debbie Reynolds does is amazing! It's very sweet and inspiring. The Ed Sullivan part is funny. The end is a great ending, sad at first then very inspiring and happy!
January 23, 2009
O Golly, golly...this looks really good.... Dominique, nique, nique...
½ December 5, 2008
I loathe the song though the plot is alright. "Nic a nic a nic a nic . . . nic a nic nic nic."
½ August 24, 2008
Debbie Reynolds was great! Childhood memories, and keeping my eyes glued to the TV set, would love to see it again..
March 7, 2008

January 1, 2008
There seems to have been a rash of well-made mid-1900 B&W films revolving around Irish Catholic priests and nuns, often played by Irish Hollywood greats. This is one of them, and perhaps one of the most enduring. Debbe Reynolds made her debut as an engaging impish ingenue in "Singing in the Rain," but this movie shows her at the peak of her performance skills. The whole cast is marvelous, and the storyline -- with the "oh golly" goodness typical of such era films -- makes you ponder the meaning of goodness and self-devotion. This true story was so popular that it was adapted into a TV series, and records of the actual Singing Nun still grace my dad's LP collection today!
November 21, 2007
Debbie Renyolds! Dominque, nique, nique I will tell of Dominique. His goodness to acclaim...
October 13, 2007
still one of my favorites
October 13, 2007
A classic Musical. a great film. if you like musicals you need to see this one.
July 19, 2007
½ April 2, 2005
Nauseatingly sweet story of a nun that made headlines in the 1960's with a surprise hit song. The film is never convincing, not even for a minute. Debbie Reynolds is sincere but never is believable. Corny to say the least.