Saint - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saint Reviews

½ December 12, 2016
This movie succeeds in one thing and one thing alone. Trying your patience.
January 20, 2016
I had hopes for this one. At one time, Dick Maas was the man behind "The Lift" and "Amsterdamned" ... a promising genre director. A few decades and several bad films later, the promise is gone. Still ... this film was getting some attention and it sounded promising, so why not? Because it's awful, that's why not. After a decent opening that sets up the interesting premise, it devolves into unlikable characters getting unsuspensefully stalked and attacked by bad special effects. Nothing at all to see here ... move along.
½ March 25, 2015
Saint is a new approach to an old formula: Slasher-Horror set around the events of a specific holiday (in this case, Christmas). It's neither the best, nor the worst of the Yuletide bloodbaths, but the only important question is, is it good in and of itself? And the answer is a solid "No". Saint has no scares, laughs or ponders on offer, and though it isn't the very bottom of the barrel, it's not something I could recommend either.
½ December 27, 2014
Enjoyable twist on the evil Santa genre that may not be particularly inventive, but manages to escape coming across as gimmicky. Borrows from the genre's American forebears fairly judiciously and is all the better for it.
½ December 24, 2014
It's a decent tongue-in-cheek Christmas horror/comedy with some witty dialogue and insanity, although it doesn't have quite enough of either to put it over the top.
December 21, 2014
Despite the cheesy premise, Saint is a funny and pretty entertaining horror comedy about a bad Santa.
November 4, 2014
a rare foreign(holland) christmas horror movie.well constructed with a low budget.
October 23, 2014
The real story about Saint Nicolas.
½ October 13, 2014
Im not sure which country was responsible for this horror flick, but job well done! The special fx and scenic shots are supreme. The plot is great with plenty of room for a sequel. I just hate i saw this with English dubs on Netflix. I will def re-rate this once i can see it in their native tongue and subtitles.
July 4, 2014
Lots of fun to find In Saint (2010)
½ January 8, 2014
What this foreign film lacks in believable writing, it makes up for in gorgeously horrific visuals. The gore effects are killer. Now, the film is dubbed in English... so it's unclear if the source actors or the english speaking cast are responsible for the lame deliveries that weaken the film by miles. But if you want something fresh.. and foreign... give it a try.
½ December 23, 2013
Not as awful as assumed.
½ December 23, 2013
Ja, an evil Niklas (namely the Santa Claus) from the Netherlands.
½ December 22, 2013
Fun Dutch take on the Christmas Slasher subgenre. This time, though, instead of a killer Santa, it's a killer Saint Nicholas and the action takes place on St. Nicholas' Day (Dec 5). If you like your Christmas films dark, gory, and sickly funny, this cross-cultural treat is for you.
December 17, 2013
the voice overs were funny...along with pretty much the whole movie...
December 9, 2013
terrible acting and cheesy special effects, but fun to watch
December 7, 2013
Not very much Sint seen , more black Piet's or something , just a thriller but then with the Sint .
December 3, 2013
You know what I really hate, and this is something completely unrelated to the film but it very heavily affects my opinion of it, when I'm forced to watch a foreign movie with very shitty English dubbing instead of the original language. I get why some of these films are dubbed, some people are very turned off by the act of having to read subtitles. So I get that you want to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, but for those of us who don't really mind, PLEASE give us the language the film was meant to be seen in. A really bad english dub can really affect what you think of the movie, and I absolutely hated it in this movie. It was just really bad, it felt forced, contrived and completely unnatural. That's not to say that I would've liked the film more if I had seen it in German, I'd have hated it a little bit less, but the dubbing makes a bad movie worse. It's hard to gauge a film's potential to be good when all you're listening to is poorly acted, it really is. The idea is cool enough, I suppose, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The movie does a very poor job at making Saint Niklas into this fearsome and terrifying monster. Use as much gore as you want, it's certainly is a distraction from the film's poor quality, but that does not make an effective villain. And for an 84 minute horror movie, this film is really slow. I don't know, but there's just some scenes that really feel like they were there to pad the running time because they didn't have enough material to make a full movie. The deaths are forgettable and pretty lame at that, the film looks low-budget. I don't typically have a problem with that if the cast is up to snuff, or if the script is clever with some good ideas, but this film has none of that. It's real easy to forgive technical limitations if you have other aspects that make up for it, it's really easy. Look at Extracted, Deadheads, or A Little bit Zombie. Those films looked pretty piss-poor, but they more than made up for it with clever ideas, a great cast and just an effort to try to make the best of what you got, and while they may have been flawed movies, they were entertaining in spite of the issues. Like the underdog you root for, even if you know he's not the best athlete or whatever. I realize it's not fair to compare those movies to this one, but this one really got to me. It just seems like no effort was put into this film, at all. It feels like it was just thrown together to provide an alternative to the typical cheesy Christmas movies you see and to make a quick buck from the very loyal horror audience. And another thing, this film could've used some more humor. Things are taken WAY too seriously in the film. I suspect that the intention was that taking it so serious would add some unintentional comedy to the proceedings, but it didn't work. The film has a fucking killer Santa Claus. I mean, imagine all the shitty jokes you can do with that. Yes, the joke would've been shitty but it would've been charming in a B-movie way, where you laugh at the painfully bad jokes. I don't know, I really hated this movie. I don't even care about seeing the German version anymore, this movie really sucks.
December 1, 2013
The Dutch Silent Night, Deadly Night. Sometimes a bit too campy with "Hey look at us Dutch" content. The head villian stays pretty abstract and has only a small story as background.
½ August 29, 2013
Saint Niklas is coming to town--Terrible production in every way!!