Sister My Sister Reviews

• Oct 30, 2015

I don't know why Nancy Meckler didn't direct more films because this film was chilling and incredibly sad. An engaging look into lower class repression.

• Jul 06, 2013

If it was a good movie there was really no way of knowing because I could hardly wrap my head around the twisted relationship between these two insane sisters to even pay attention to anything else that was going on. I love movies that delve deep into the human psyche, they are fascinating, but this one was too messed up for me to stomach.

• Dec 17, 2012

It is a fearsome thing to see madness unfold, especially with two such women who give us a new take on intimatcy, and the dangers of condemned love. The period settings provide an other-worldly feel, accentuating the plot of sisters who are all alone, clinging to one another as they sink into the wa...read moreves of madness. It's not easy to watch, but Film Grrrl felt rewarded.

• Oct 20, 2012

Certainly worth watching for the acting, which was surprisingly excellent. The general direction and camerawork, however, is incredibly lackluster and nearly makes the entire thing seem trivial and unconvincing.

• Aug 13, 2012

The story is fascinating, the movie was mediocre. I'm actually disappointed because a very controversial subject like incest and a real story should both be handled very carefully to create a good movie. The movie to me felt like it was made just to be made, the acting was actually pretty impressive. I feel that the sexual relationship should have been presented more tastefully, and the oppression should have been clearer throughout the entire film. I sadly did not like the overall presentation, but I liked the performances, and I respect the guts in this movie.

• Apr 27, 2012

quite disturbing. chilled the bones more than a lotta so-called horror stories these days did. the real life event this film was based on was certainly intriguing (1930s france, imagine), but the storytelling itself wasn't handled so great.

• Mar 29, 2012

I saw this movie about ten years ago but watched it again last night. It was even better than I remembered it to be. If you have any plans on watching it whatsoever, do not read the Flixter synopsis. It practically gives away the entire film.

• Jan 25, 2012

A quartet of interesting characters played by capable actresses. The dynamics of the groups are presented quite well, but for one aspect: the young sister's irrational fear of the mistress remains unexplained, even though it is essential to the culmination of the drama. Even so, the film's merits are enough to make it worthwhile.

• Jeffrey M Super Reviewer
    Jan 21, 2012

A fascinating and disturbing true story, but unfortunately it fails due to uninspired film making and story telling. It was often dull and bland, though it works well when the tension is finally raised. The performances were pretty good all around, especially from Joely Richardson, but ultimately her character isn't given enough development. The audience never quite buys the ultimate outcome. 2.5/5 Stars

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Dec 04, 2011

I thought this was a good movie. It's definitely a quieter and more understated movie, at least until the end, and I think it helps to put the sisters' actions in a better perspective and it was also a pretty disturbing scene with the voice-over explaining what happened. They were pretty fucked up mentally, at least in the movie, who the fuck knows what happened in real life. The acting is strong, though there are some instances where Jodhi May was pretty terrible, she was up and down the entire movie. The rest of the cast was strong, with Julie Walters being absolutely tremendous. Overall I thought this was a really good 3 star movie.