The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Reviews

September 17, 2016
Ensemble of talent does very well but not well enough to overcome poor editing, weak music and lack of tightness.
½ August 1, 2016
I loved it, the characters are really wholesome and this deviates enough from a boring cheesy teen movie to be uniquely charming.
½ May 27, 2016
Surprisingly excellent - from a guy point of view. Its likability is infectious, it Def won me over.
A chick flick with a charm that draws you in.
Call me a sucker, but it was lovingly directed with a gentle but firm grasp that harnessed the magic of each actress, and its underlying message of inclusiveness included its audience and made you a part of the fun.
Not one slapstick pander for a laugh either - that impressed me. It could have easily slipped into caricature or become a very special episode at any moment, and thankfully steered clear of many cliches and similar movie potholes.
Kindly sincere and intelligently honest - not one false step. Also, its not too girly, but rather intelligent and witty with its honesty and heartfelt poignancy held close.
Not perfect, mind you, but by not getting bogged down too deep or getting too serious, the filmmakers were able to capture the dreams and realities of teen and tween girls alike with a nod to the parents, and the boys.
Well done.

4.5 soft faded denims out of 5
March 21, 2016
The premise sounds ridiculous, but the movie is a great adaptation of the amazing novel (one of the few glorious YA works of fiction that stands above the "Divergent" shite-pile). I saw it in theatres when I was twelve, but I didn't remember how many story beats made it into the film. They left some of them out (Mimi the guinea pig), but covered all the necessary ones. I think it was a good move to soften the abrasive language as well as age the characters up so that they were sixteen and not fifteen. Still kept the edginess, but made the film less uncomfortable. I saw this with my mother in theatres, and since 2005 have heard from her that I am just like the Tibby character. Considering Tibby made a film called "The Suckumentary" about all the losers in her hometown... yes. Absolutely. It's certainly one of the best YA adaptations I've seen in a while. While the girls thought the pants were magic, and would bring them happiness, what the pants really did was lead them to make mistakes which caused them to grow as humans. It sounds so stupid, but it really is a great movie.
March 4, 2016
dont know why ive never seen this! this movie is awesome and inspiring!
February 24, 2016
whether it's one or ten; friends are needed in life
½ November 15, 2015
great story with good cast. The story is heart-warming and diverse, but they manage to keep all of them interesting.
November 14, 2015
Finally got around to watching this movie and it was really good. Good like how most people talked about it.
August 24, 2015
I am a 22 year old straight male who doesn't normally watch "chick flicks" on a regular basis. That being said, I quite enjoyed "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants". It has an interesting storyline following these four teen girls, and is centered around a pair of jeans that fits all four of them. It features likable characters, funny moments, and a coming-of-age aspect.
½ June 30, 2015
With a cast this talented, who cares if the majority of the audience is only females, I loved this film, for everything it strived to be, and everything it ended up being in the end. "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" is one of those rare novel-to-film stories that really, really works. Once realizing that they will all be off doing their own things during the summer, these four girls decide to find something that will hold them close together. Once they discover a pair of pants that miraculously fits all four of them, they have the idea of mailing them to each other for luck to stay connected. Although the film sets up that premise, there is much more to this than meets the eye. Dealing with the troubles of life, family, happiness, and love, this film has it all. Anyone from teenagers to adults will be able to find at least something to connect to, and even if you are not female. The message in the third act of the film is not preachy in any way and they pull it off the best they could. Yes, a tear or two may have trickled down my face during this film, but that is solely due to the fact that the filmmaking was carefully done to make you care equally about each character. In the end, I loved watching this film. The only lingering complaint I had about this picture was that a bit of the dialogue felt a little too "novelly," but what do you expect? "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" is an extremely pleasant surprise. I cannot recommend this film enough!
June 23, 2015
I expected a lame, Lifetime-esque coming-of-age drama in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I was wrong. This is a truthful, oftentimes gut-wrenching look at teenage adolescence from the girl perspective. Very well-acted from the leads.
½ April 18, 2015
A chick-flick that most guys probably won't be able to tolerate. I thought it was stupid. (First and only viewing - 1/2/2015)
½ April 17, 2015
It's a nice coming of age story, even if a bit popish, it isn't so corny that I just couldn't stand it. It had some emotional maturity to it.
½ January 30, 2015
Implausible to being with and messy for the rest of the duration, there's not much to like here. Full review later.
½ January 9, 2015
The chemistry between the four girls is really apparent in the movie. Great movie.
½ January 1, 2015
A Easy-Breezy Teen-Girl Fiction, Full Of Emotive 'Hug-It-Out' Miracle Moments, Which I Guess, If You're Into That You'll Love It...It Grated On Me. Some Stories Had A Bit Of Complex Depth But For The Most Part The Whole Lot Was Over-Whelmed By It's Lashings Of Schmaltz.
December 30, 2014
This was a cute a movie, I liked it. We all know those jeans did not fit all of them right?
December 19, 2014
Great movie watch it rn
½ December 7, 2014
12/5/14 To be honest, I didn't pay much attention when watching this film. For the start, it was very clear that it was intended for teenage girls. Not much opinion about it--- It's just not for me.