Sisters Reviews

• Nov 22, 2020

Very interesting and almost unsettling images at the beginning with all the closeups of the baby fetus pictures. The music definitely helps with making it more unsettling. Wow that blind chick looks good. My light skinned brother here knows what sup lol. Holy shit! I was not expecting that sudden change where it all along it was a game show called Peeping Toms. They were just trying to prove how racist the contestants were. They thought that he was going to keep watching her undress just because he was black. She's really pretty though, her eyes are pretty and she's really charming and cute. That fucking weirdo albino looking muthafucka of an ex husband needs to fuck off. Wow, that took a really dark and disturbing turn. I don't think I'm attracted that much to the girl anymore lol. I really liked that whole split shot sequence De Palma did where it showed what both Danielle and the reporter girl were doing. Very stylish. They straight up hid the body inside the fold out couch lmao! This movie has some pretty colorful characters that make some moments in the movie very funny. That's so terrifying to be mistaken for a mentally ill patient at a looney house and then taken away to be given a sedative shot. That whole black & white sequence where the repeater chick sees what Dominique went through was so surreal and trippy to watch. Man, the movie got so weird towards the end. I had a hunch that Dominique was living through Danielle and that it was Danielle who killed the guy. But what made me second guess it was how it showed how Danielle was still lying on the floor in the bathroom. Interesting how Dominique slashes at the balls of the guys since it was sex that caused her death. It's scary to think that there's people out there that have split personality disorder that have no idea they have it and you wouldn't know it unless you got to now the person. Damn, that dude is still in that couch lol. I thought this was a pretty disturbing and interesting look at how being siamese twins can be very difficult and complicated almost to the point where you wish you weren't attached to another human being. I can't imagine what it feels like to be attached to another person regardless whether if they're of the same blood as you. Having to share every moment of your life with them and having no privacy. Thought provoking and impressive movie for one of De Palma's first films.

• Nov 12, 2020

Riveting! A tour de force early film from Brian de Palma that starts out off kilter and then just keeps surprising you throughout. The story of twin sisters, a murder, an inquisitive reporter and the ensuing cover up is all done so well where you are constantly on the edge of your seat. All the actors are in top form and de Palma's directing is flawless. For hardcore NY'ers, the setting of 1970's Staten Island is just that much more of an added bonus!. And the ending - well you've got to see it to believe. Well worth seeing.

• Aug 21, 2020

Without a doubt one of the most fascinating horror films I've ever seen. Slightly ambiguous though. The film goes well until the middle when it starts to get confusing. I know the reporter was being brainwashed into thinking she was Dominique, but I didn't fully understand why the doctor/ex-husband was brainwashing Danielle. My theory is that he wanted to "save" Dominique so he brainwashed Danielle thereby causing a split/alter-ego to occur - which means it was in fact Danielle who killed the black guy. Also this film ends on a bit of a cliffhanger - we never get to find out if that private investigator actually finds the black guys body hidden in the couch. (Viewers are led to believe that perhaps he did) Overall this is a really interesting horror/thriller mystery, I would totally recommend it, and I wouldn't mind re-watching it myself. Final verdict: 3 and a half stars!

• Jun 16, 2020

Really cool movie, a bit confusing though

Really cool movie, a bit confusing though

• Jun 02, 2020

Between 2.5 and 3 stars. It shows some aspects of the later De Palma, the beginning is OK and the general lines are classic to the genre, but there is a moment in which you think they have said all what they could say and there is not additional substance to fill it and go to a higher level.

• Apr 23, 2020

An interesting low budget murder mystery and early Brian De Palma film. Noted for his love of Hitchcock, De Palma borrows heavily from Rope, Rear Window and Psycho. There are quite a few twists in the story, unfortunately I found the movie to be less interesting with each one. Still a good movie and a fun watch for film buffs.

• Oct 12, 2019

A fascinating thriller with stunning direction. Brian De Palma's psychological horror thriller Sisters (1973) is a horrifying tale of mistaken identity and murder mystery. De Palma pays homage to Alfred Hitchcock's numerous tales of suspense with a haunting and bloody murder. The cover-up sequence could have been directed by Hitchcock himself it's so reminiscent of "The Master of Suspense." De Palma even enlisted Hitchcock's regular composer, Bernard Herrmann, for a chilling score of eerie atmosphere and shocking noise. Herrmann blends avant-garde jazz with bombastic classical that sounds as striking as any of his classic film scores from Citizen Kane to Vertigo or Taxi Driver. Notably, Margot Kidder is stunning as the leading actress playing model and murderess Danielle Breton and Dominique Blanchion. Her French Canadian accent is so funny and delightful. It's neat to hear her play the aloof, sweet model as well as the devious actress covering up her vicious murder. Kidder gives a gripping and shocking dramatic performance that you will not soon forget. Likewise, the lovely Jennifer Salt is endearing, likable, thoughtful, and feisty as the hard-nosed news reporter named Grace Collier, who is investing a brutal killing. Salt is arguably the main character, which switches from the early perspective of Kidder's Danielle. Another great allusion to Hitchcock's famous ploy from Psycho. I just found Salt so interesting to watch and root for in Sisters. You are most upset when she is attacked and institutionalized by the villain before the climax. The use of hypnosis is perhaps the darkest moment with dire consequences. Furthermore, Charles Durning is great as a blunt private investigator just trying to get by in Sisters. William Finley's chilling Emil Breton sets off your creep alert upon his first reveal. He plays an obsessively controlling husband, doting spouse that covers up his wife's murder, sympathetic doctor taking care of the mentally ill, as well as a disgusting doctor taking advantage of his wife's mental condition for his own satisfaction. He is an unruly and disturbing character indeed. All the main characters of Sisters are fascinating in their own right. De Palma directs one of his absolute finest films with Sisters. It's a scary horror film, intriguing psychological drama, and a fascinating investigation procedural. De Palma's directorial choices are the stuff of dreams as Sisters takes on a dreamy atmosphere with his unique framing. De Palma bravely and cleverly uses split screen shots to show characters within a scene hiding from each other or witnessing the same events from another perspective. Sisters is very clever with its camera placement as such. Brian De Palma and Louise Rosa's writing is really neat as Sisters takes the concept of Siamese Twins and contorts them into a good and bad twin. Then, De Palma twists this idea into a forlorn sister mourning her sister's death, and thus, she loses her mind pretending to be her sister. It's a thoroughly intriguing concept, especially when the reporter investigating the sister's murder cover-up becomes a surrogate for the lost sister. Gregory Sandor finds stunning close-up shots of faces in horror or with mystique for his cinematography. The wide shots are really pretty and useful for establishing where characters are moving in a suspenseful scene that might lead to discovery. His slow panning camera movements contribute to Sisters' dreamy vibe. Paul Hirsch's editing is equally ethereal taking you from a murder scene to a psychiarict hospital in what feels like moments. Sisters is already shorter at only 93 minutes, but it feels like only half of that thanks to Hirsch's smooth transitions. He flows scenes together like logical rivers ebbing towards an insane finale. The last horror sequences are stitched together like dream sequences, but are revealed to be memories with another actress taking an important character's place. This confuses the audience for the moment in a very clever way all due to Hirsch's convincing editing. In short, Sisters is De Palma at his most irreverent and entertaining. He uses technical ingenuity with split screens before he does so again in Carrie and creates an engaging murder mystery before The Untouchables. Brian De Palma is at his peak directorial prowess with Sisters.

• Aug 13, 2019

it was a little scary

it was a little scary

• Apr 21, 2019

A very engaging film. Brilliant use of split screen.

A very engaging film. Brilliant use of split screen.

• Apr 10, 2019

Brian De Palma has done some very good films, and some mediocre ones. This is somewhere in the lower section. A pretty girl is bringing home a dude, and he ends up dead in her appartment the day after. A nosey neighbour lady sees the murder, but our girl says she does not know what all this fuzz is about. This pretty model is having a huge scar on her side and there is something fishy going on here and the nosey one knows it. This turn into a cat and mouse game, where the two young girls are playing tricks on each other. Great score here by the brilliant composer Bernard Herrmann - the guy behind scores from "Psycho" to "Taxi driver". This is very much like an honoring towards Hitchcock as it references loads of his films. It has not aged that well. The blood looks horrible. It's semi scary, but gets a bit too twisted up and complicated for it's own good. I do dig the split screens, it's quite fresh even of todays standards. The performances are also good, but it all sums up as an OK film in total. 5.5 out of 10 red pills.