The Sitter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sitter Reviews

November 26, 2016
The same old, played out, worn out retread we've seen a hundred times. But sometimes you'e in the mood for the same old, played out, worn out retread we've seen a hundred times. Just with different faces.
February 13, 2016
Maybe it's not an original idea but I don't care. I enjoyed this thriller and was actually rooting for the babysitter lol. Something about her was so perfectly evil.
February 24, 2015
Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Sure, "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" is still the ultimate psycho-nanny movie, but this one's alright too. You know every single detail of the plot before you even press "play," but some professional performances and direction help make getting from point A to point B go a lot smoother than the average Lifetime movie.
½ August 8, 2013
"The Sitter" is just the kind of run-of-the-mill and dull made-for-video shocker that permeated video store shelves back in the 1990's, in the middle of the home video boom. The problem is that it is now at least fifteen years later, and white was tired and stale back then has only gotten worse in all that time.

Truthfully this is so bland and forgettable that you almost have to admire it for not having a single original idea during the entire run time. In fact, it has the look and feel of a TV movie of the week if it wasn't for the excessive and needless gore I felt the sorriest for Australian filmmaker Russell Mulcahy, who made some flashy and memorable pictures early in his career, now reduced to this fodder material.

It's your typical psycho-on-the-loose thriller with ridiculous murders that are ridiculously chalked up to accidents and paper-thin motivations. The cast is bland as well, but young Mariana Klaveno is pretty enough in the title role. She does the best that she can do with this lightweight character.

The ending is routine as well, typical slasher stuff borrowed from a dozen other movies. Even the title was changed from the somewhat interesting "While the Children Sleep" to the more forgettable "The Sitter", presumably because that title looks better on the video store shelves. Plus it spells out for the uninformed movie lover just exactly what you're going to get with this generic and uninvolving thriller.
September 10, 2012
Creepy. A little cheesy at times, but entertaining.
½ July 23, 2012
Cheesy and predictable but that girl was a crazy b****!
July 16, 2012
great movie with a hot psycho baby sitter
April 7, 2012
It was fairly well the whole movie through... until the ending (in particular the last 5 mins)... and then it was like, ummm really?
½ December 30, 2011
Love it, quite captivating
November 16, 2011
½ May 23, 2011
This movie reminds me of an older movie called: The hand that rocks the cradle. Similar plot only in this movie it is a young woman rather than an older woman who is hired to look after the kids who happens to be a psycho. I like this one more than The Hand that Rocks the cradle though. Mariana Klaveno does a great job in this one.
½ May 3, 2011
If Gail O'Grady could lose that Illinois accent and some of her Lifetimey blandness she could pass for an okay off-brand Catherine Deneuve. Meanwhile this movie is mediocre to the extreme.
February 20, 2011
Marianna is so Single White Female in this movie! And she does it amazingly well! Really good cast, but a generic storyline. If you've seen The Hand That Rocks The Cradle this is about half as good at that. Still definitely worth a watch though.
February 20, 2011
January 25, 2011
the movie was ok but it apparently was unrated and there was barely any blood BUT the girl who played the babysitter was very creepy
½ January 18, 2011
I liked this movie, even though it was somewhat predictable. It kept my interest from beginning to end. If you liked the hand that rocked the cradle, you will like this movie.
½ January 10, 2011
Oh my god!!! Dustin why did u make us watch this horrible crap??? Half star only because I HAVE to.
½ August 16, 2010
Starring Mariana Klaveno (Lorena from True Blood). This was a made for TV thriller that has a typical family hires psycho babysitter storyline; but I must say had some decent death scenes for a TV movie and Klaveno delivers. If your a fan of slasher thrillers I'd recommend this for a viewing.
November 22, 2009
Practically a remake of "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle" - school bully scene, check, nosy friends and neighbours suspiciously dying off, check, villian with a past connection to the family, check. Makes the most of photogenic Mariana Klaveno.