Six Degrees of Separation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Six Degrees of Separation Reviews

October 24, 2013
It's nice to see Smith's early work. The plot wasn't good though; the direction it's going in isn't very clear.
September 12, 2013
Where social media networking got started
September 2, 2013
Six Degrees of Separation is one in a long line of 90s film adaptations of a stage play, centering around a young man, played by Will Smith, who enters the lives of two socialites, both confounding and informing the people he crosses paths with. It's a very unique film, though not entirely successful.

That the film is based on a theatrical play is evident throughout. It's very talky, and completely dialogue-driven. If done correctly, this can be work, but if done poorly, it can be a disaster. Six Degrees of Separation manages to give the script a cinematic flavor, changing up the scenes, keeping the story kinetic, but still has a stylistic and affected dialogue which is simply not befitting of a film drama. The acting seems fine, but the lines the characters have to deliver never quite feel true. To be sure, capturing the finer points of modern intellectual discourse is tricky, especially in a comedic format (perhaps they should have consulted with Woody Allen), but doing so properly is essential. Thus, the film never fully makes the transition from theater to film, many of the situations simply feel more at home in an art house, not a movie.

The story itself is undeniably intriguing, however. What I appreciated most was how the film incorporated all of the characters, and weaved a story that connected all of them, yet not in an obvious or melodramatic way. Instead, the film weaved the narrative such that we are painted a portrait of New York socialite life, while also taking the time to give some social commentary (albeit a little on-the-nose).

The humor is inconsistent, but also undeniable at times. The exact tone of the film can be a bit unnerving, in that we're never quite sure if it's being tongue-in-cheek, or unabashedly preachy. This can certainly be considered a failing, as the film seems lost in itself often times, a bit too bogged down on its own cleverness.
With its theatrical roots, it certainly isn't for everyone, but interesting enough to give it merit.

3/5 Stars
August 16, 2013
Human and pretentious and wordy and tragic, and I love it.
August 14, 2013
Posing as the son of Sidney Poitier, "Paul" (Will Smith) deftly penetrates the world of art-dealing urbanites Ouisa and Flan Kittredge (Stockard Channing and Donald Sutherland). But as Paul's web of dropped names and near fame begins to unravel, he provides his hosts with much more than just the ultimate cocktail unravel, he provides his hosts with much more than just the ultimate cocktail party anecdote -- he sets in motion a series of events that will alter the course of their lives forever.

also stars Ian McKellan, Mary Beth Hurt, Bruce Davison, Richard Masur, Anthony Michael Hall and Heather Graham.

directed by Fred Schepisi.
July 18, 2013
Refreshingly original, different, new
½ July 1, 2013
Breathtaking and unbelievable story about a poor but talented imposter who after picking catch words, expressions, intonation and bits of information forms them into a smooth story endowing him with a flair of nobility, style and a tragic twists in life. Even though he eventually gets caught, the high-society snobs don't regret having met him, so intricate and convincing his lies and make-believe life were.
June 1, 2013
A highly intelligent, intellectual character study shaped as a thriller. Wonderful performances in an almost brilliant script.
April 18, 2013
A great pattern of stories and situations, held together, at the beginning very linearly, and then every minute more confusely, by a great interpretation both of Will Smith (superb and one of the most underrated actors of the last 20 years), Donald Sutherland and Stockard Channing. The final part is nearly a try of explaining life and his experiences, that differ from anecdotes that will be narrated thousands of times to friends and strangers. A topic that I found often in my thoughts in the last period. I was not sure if the movie was a great movie, a good one, or just, again, a pattern of great actors with some good stories in another good story. Well, I still haven't decided, but I liked the film. So, thumbs up, at least for a broad sufficiency.
April 17, 2013
Switched it off after an hour. Couldn't get on with it
March 20, 2013
GREAT movie....never saw it before. Sonni on 3/18/13.
½ February 20, 2013
A great movie driven by sharp dialog and wonderful acting. Welcome to the big screen, Will Smith.
February 20, 2013
Interesting but definitely lacking something to make it any more than pretty good.
½ February 18, 2013
Unusual role for Will Smith, who plays a charming, young gay man who misleads wealthy families into letting him into their homes.
February 3, 2013
Impressive narrative....so easy to follow and engaging. I sure hope rich folks are not this stupid.
January 17, 2013
this movie is one of the best examples of great character development..
½ January 15, 2013
A clever knock on NY's upper crust being so judgmental, yet so accepting. The ending was not nearly as clever, but it still manages to get the point across that our lives and values can so easily be compromised to show our true colors. A stellar cast makes us believe this story. It was funny that the odd couple was from Utah that was so gullible. It also makes me wonder how gullible am I, I am from there.

I for one do not truly believe in the Six Degrees of Separation, but it would be nice to be able to make those connections.
½ January 6, 2013
A very good interpretation of the play, I was totally drawn in by the characters and the dialogue. The cast is amazing; Will Smith is at his best; Stockard Channing is incredible. It was very easy for me to relate quite a few of the characters and I would have just as easily been taken in by Paul and would have had a lot of sympathy towards him after learning the whole truth.