Six-String Samurai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Six-String Samurai Reviews

½ June 4, 2016
Six-String Samurai is a story about artists from around the country flocking to Los Vegas after Elvis dies so that they can become the new "King of Vegas." The titular character, played by some random guy, is one of said musicians aiming for the throne. This is a very original, very clever concept for a film, but that's about all it is. I really enjoyed parts of this movie and its sheer nonsense, but there isn't much to talk about. It's exactly what you'd expect a low-budget cult classic film like this to be, and that is an entertaining ride of stupidity. I'm not going to rag on the movie because it wasn't trying to be anything more than it is. If you enjoy silly movies like Sharknado, this will be right up your alley.
January 2, 2016
It's a nice idea and it tries hard, but ultimately there's little substance to it.
June 16, 2014
This film has an amusingly insane premise: In a post-apocalyptic America Buddy Holly heads to Vegas to claim the throne that was until recently occupied by Elvis Presley. Meanwhile he is hunted by heavy metal, intent on his destruction. And the opening scroll explaining all that was by far the funniest part of the film. I find that a lot of films with an insane premise work so hard establishing even a hint of plausibility that they completely miss the chance for further jokes. This film does not suffer from that flaw since it completely embraces its madness from the start. Unfortunately, this does not make it a better film. There is no plot except a man trudging through the desert fighting people, and while all the references to rock stars start off funny they get old quick. In all this is a confused mess of a film with nothing to offer but an amusing plot description. And I can sum that up in two sentences.
½ December 14, 2013
For an indie, the six-string samurai deserves a place to be one of the classics in the post-apocalyptic genre.
December 5, 2013
Being a musician and a big fan of 1950's rock n' roll, i was a bit biased coming in. Though completely out in left field, the film manages to humor and thrill viewers. Now, it may be that some of the jokes and scenes were more appealing to me simply because music is relevant in my own life, but i think regardless of your background the film is fun. I did not, however favor the little boy or his survival. Too annoying and helpless. Oh, and i guess death is deathly allergic to water...
October 18, 2013
Some movies are both dumb and funny, this was just dumb and mostly boring. The kid in this had to be the most annoying character I've seen in a movie since Jar Jar Binks. This movie tried to be 'cool' but it just fails, especially the Slash wannabe.
June 30, 2013
A unique and fun looking film. Check it out.
April 21, 2013
its a must see movie
April 20, 2013
if i could give this movie 10 stars out of five i would. it's brilliantly campy which makes it the perfect movie for The Red Elvises -- who do the score and are featured in a bit cameo.
February 18, 2013
It's plenty weird enough, but there's a sweetness to the story. There's a great soundtrack accompanying this, which adds to the fun feel. The fight choreography is good and perfect for this film. But it's definitely one strange movie beginning to end.
February 1, 2013
What can I say. This is one of the most bizarre and funny indie films in my viewing history. It's like a live action anime with some very cool music and some really entertaining fight scenes.
½ January 22, 2013
At long last, I've seen this movie. And guess what? It was piss poor. An amazing concept can only ever go so far without a plot and really good acting. This movie holds together on the fact that the lead looks an awful lot like Buddy Holly and the pretty good guitar solo duel (that ends WAY too fast). Otherwise, this is a long, drawn-out, meandering wreck.
Not. Worth. My time.
January 12, 2013
Soundtrack by the Red Evlises - AMAZING!

"If I were you, I'd run"
"If you were me...you'd be good looking"
December 1, 2012
One of the most mental films I've ever seen.
½ November 17, 2012
The United States is turned into a nuclear wasteland after losing the Cold War to the Russians in 1957 and Elvis Presley is named King of the West, but when he dies some years later, musicians from all around flock to Lost Vegas to try and take his place. Our hero is Buddy, a samurai sword-wielding rock'n'roller that must make it there without crossing paths with Death, whose heavy metal band is vying for the throne as well. Now, that's the coolest premise for any movie out there. Whether or not it is effectively executed in "Six-String Samurai" is something entirely different. Lance Mungia's direction is too offbeat and bizarre and he takes advantage of his wide-angle lens a little too often, but in the long run, his eccentric style works. It makes good use of an inventive script written by him and star Jeffrey Falcon that plays out like a post-apocalyptic fantasy Western crossed with a B movie. It's worth watching simply because of how original it's written, set up and shot, and even if Mungia's directing style is a little strange and Justin McGuire's whining is guaranteed to get on your nerves, it's a real gem of a film.
September 8, 2012
yeah the kid, chew on some gum or something, just shuddap!
September 8, 2012
Slick style, the coolest characters, great writing, and hilarious b-movie glory, Six-String Samurai is a cult classic. Buddy is quite possibly the coolest character in cinema history, but he is sadly paired with the most annoying character in cinema history, that stupid kid and that blood-retching sound that comes out of his mouth. But in the end, i suppose his character ties into the story's structure. And that's were the film's brilliance shines through, protruding from the scattered randomness that seems to be this film's downfall, but is actually it's shining savior. Amidst all the ridiculousness, and the campy b-movie stupidity, there is still a deeply profound narrative structure, that is thought-provoking, and emotionally satisfying. Albeit it does feel a bit too weird and camp for it's own sake at times, the delivery in its narrative is still there, even if you need to do a bit of rummaging through the madness to find it. Oh, and the soundtrack! Oh, the soundtrack! The music in this film is just audible nectar for the ears, and it helps establish and amplify the addictive tone that gives this film it's unique and original feel.
August 20, 2012
Being that i have a soft spot for horrible B rated movies, I have to admit that the concept of this movie made me eiffy to say the least to watch it. Thank all that is great that i found this unique and beautiful movie, It has become a classic in my books and could almost be put in with the top ten. So if Samurai fighting, communism, and the Red Elvises, thrown into a post apocalyptic soviet run America isn't your thing, maybe not. I still recommend investing an evening to blow your own mind with this masterpiece. 10 stars/ and 1 and 1/2 chopped off thrumbs way up.
½ June 14, 2012
Great film. A very nice B-Movie with tons of action, great humor, and amazing music by the Red Elvises. Check it out!