Skateland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Skateland Reviews

August 5, 2012
Its no accident that the words "In Memory of JOHN HUGHES" adorn the post-movie credits of Anthony Burns' directional debut. The writer/director obviously has a lot of love for the late director but Skateland ends up being less The Breakfast Club, or even St. Elmo's Fire and more Dazed and Confused meets Take Me Home Tonight with a little Whip It thrown in. There is nothing new here but the excellent performances mixed with the sweet naivety of a time which is heaped with nostalgia makes for an affecting little 80s teen drama with an unexpected emotional depth.
½ July 14, 2012
this movie was poop.
July 9, 2012
Acting and script are poor.
July 1, 2012
excellent movie!!! great illustration of how life changes and we can not hold on to the past.
½ July 1, 2012
Despite the plot having a by-the-numbers story, this movie is totally harmless. If you love 80's teen films, you'll love this throwback to a time long forgotten.
June 20, 2012
Loved the music, the clothes and the overall movie.
June 19, 2012
I believe the purpose of having Skateland in this movie was to symbolize change but they barely even included the place in it or show any of the magic of the place. On top of that the entire movie seemed to be drama after drama after drinking after drama without any purpose to it all. There were great songs played in it though and I liked how it ended.
June 17, 2012
Pretty decent view of the 80's for what it's worth, though nothing tops freaks & geeks, still I lived the cast, the era, the music, well worth seeing
½ June 6, 2012
It always feels like it's trying to trace exactly from movies that have paid homage to nostalgia a whole lot better, and the cast feels like a modern-day Barbie catalog brought to life.
½ May 21, 2012
cerezlik amerikan kasaba geyiklerinden... "buradan gitmem gerekiyor"
½ April 20, 2012
It seemed like in a way it was trying to be Dazed and Confused.
April 15, 2012
One of my favorite movies! Great music. Great sceanes. And a great cast! LOVE IT!!
April 8, 2012
The music was great but the story was okay. Didn't really know what girl was which.
½ April 7, 2012
There is nothing new in "Skateland"- both in the film and in the characters lives. What I liked most about this sweetly nostalgic film is that it meanders into territory (emotional or physical) that is determined solely by the characters. These are people dealing with ennui and disaffection and co-writer/director Anthony Burns organically incorporates this. Though this can be murder on the films structure, the emotional payoff in the conclusion seems worth it. The performances are a bit rocky because the films tone can be bipolar, which seems to throw the actors off. But Shiloh Fernandez and Ashley Greene form a chemistry that seems real and honest. Fernandez is interesting because he plays Ritchie like an honest, truthful young man. I liked seeing Ritchie actually striving for family connection; it's an interesting change for the presented themes. "Skateland" will certainly draw comparisons to "Dazed and Confused" and "Adventureland" (with a dash of "Somewhere" thrown in) but don't write it off completely because there are some really great individual parts to this film- they just unfortunately don't congeal like they should.
March 31, 2012
It seems to be somewhat of an homage to the classic 1980 teen dramas of yore. There's even a dedication to John Hughes as the credits begin to roll. Unlike those teen dramas of the past, though, Skateland failed-- miserably-- to capture my attention or my affection the way its predecessors did. It's just... boring, headed by a fairly uninteresting young lead who is a dead-ringer for Joaquin Phoenix. With the exception of a couple scenes that snapped me out of my boredom coma, I really couldn't have cared less about the characters or what was going on in the film. In fact, sometimes it was hard for me to figure out exactly what this movie was about as there wasn't a really clear outline or set-up. Ritchie and Michelle's relationship was pretty stale and uninteresting, too. Considering it's called Skateland, there's only about 3 or 4 scenes that take place at this establishment. Every other scene is at some random house party. I didn't like it at all really. Skip it. I'd recommend "Adventureland" instead.
March 30, 2012
I kept waiting for a reason to care (which never really came).
March 24, 2012
Not a bad film for when you just want to sit back and veg. But I know I spent at least part of the movie thinking I would rather be watching Dazed and Confused. Really great cinematography FWIW.
March 1, 2012
this movie is sooooo slooooow. its only an hour and a half but it felt like a million years
March 1, 2012
½ February 16, 2012
I liked it. I was pleasantly surprised by Adventureland and Zombieland. Why not try Skateland? It's missing Jessie Eisenberg, who was in both of the other "lands," and I'm not sure if that's why it's a distant third or not. More than likely, it just wasn't as good a movie. It's a 4.9 on imdb, which is really low, but I enjoyed it enough.

Some are comparing it to Adventureland. I can see that. It's similar in its earthtone, 80s quality and mood, but Adventureland is just a pretty good movie. A more common comparison is to Dazed and Confused. Other than using lame music from a particular era, I'm not so sure about this one. Except the guy that is an obvious Wooderson knockoff. I kept waiting for him to deliver a line similar to, "It'd be cooler if you did," or "High school girls: I get older they stay the same age." He did everything else from the hair to the attitude. He was redeemed a little bit when he jumped into the fight near the end.

There is just not a lot going on here. I like slow stuff so liked it enough, but it could be considered boring. Fernandez is not that impressive as the lead male. Greene is pretty adorable so is impressive in that sense. Not sure if that is acting or not. So, all in all, I would probably recommend it if you liked Adventureland as that actually is about as close a comparison as I can draw. Just be aware that Adventure is a better land than skate. Though damn, I sure would love to go skating and/or visit a music store.